Dee Williams' Instagram Post

Just a reminder to the enthusiastic and imaginative that Dee comes in initially to fill the bottom spot on the WR depth chart. Every true freshman is months ahead of him in knowledge and preparation.

He will have to learn the plays, the routes, the blocking assignments, the reads, the offensive calls, the signals from the sidelines--everything--and it may all be totally new to him.

Yes, I guess it's possible they could put Dee out on the field to receive a WR screen and see what he could do with that. But what if the defense switches, making that play, that route, the wrong call? What then? Will he know his assignment in the play Milton switches to? Do you waste a time-out to get him out of there? And even if he successfully runs one play, there will still have to be a substitution for him, which allows the defense to also substitute. Maybe it's worth it. Maybe not.

These are all considerations that have to be made before putting Dee (and his incredible talent) on the field at WR. He has a lot to learn, and I feel sure the hope is that he could be ready to play if absolutely necessary in 3-4 weeks. But we need to understand that he has been moved there initially as insurance against losing 3 more WRs to injury before this season ends.

As another way to inform and manage our expectations, consider that Iamaleava joined the team in time to participate in Orange Bowl practices. Would you have expected him to play QB in the Orange Bowl?

This is one of the most sensible posts I’ve seen on VolNation in quite a while.

this 100%. We will definitely miss Bru's downfield blocking as much as anything IMO. Go Vols!
Exactly. IMO the situation he would play in would have to be perfect. With our hurry up offense once he’s on the field if we’re running our offense he won’t come off…and that’s where the issues will arise…blocking zones for the run game. Our WRs need to understand the run game(which is at least half our offense) to see any extended playing time. Just guessing but because of all this Dee …will see extremely limited snaps on offense.

Reactions: newVOLworld
What worries me is if several of our receivers are not catching balls from the rocket launcher, how well will a DB do??

Reactions: bpalmer28
Just a reminder to the enthusiastic and imaginative that Dee comes in initially to fill the bottom spot on the WR depth chart. Every true freshman is months ahead of him in knowledge and preparation.

He will have to learn the plays, the routes, the blocking assignments, the reads, the offensive calls, the signals from the sidelines--everything--and it may all be totally new to him.

Yes, I guess it's possible they could put Dee out on the field to receive a WR screen and see what he could do with that. But what if the defense switches, making that play, that route, the wrong call? What then? Will he know his assignment in the play Milton switches to? Do you waste a time-out to get him out of there? And even if he successfully runs one play, there will still have to be a substitution for him, which allows the defense to also substitute. Maybe it's worth it. Maybe not.

These are all considerations that have to be made before putting Dee (and his incredible talent) on the field at WR. He has a lot to learn, and I feel sure the hope is that he could be ready to play if absolutely necessary in 3-4 weeks. But we need to understand that he has been moved there initially as insurance against losing 3 more WRs to injury before this season ends.

As another way to inform and manage our expectations, consider that Iamaleava joined the team in time to participate in Orange Bowl practices. Would you have expected him to play QB in the Orange Bowl?
Maybe the Coaches will figure that out

Makes a lot of sense. With Thornton injured and possibly moving outside when he returns, we don’t really have another true slot option (Nimrod has played some there). And who else would you want to see catch a quick screen on this team?
I don't disagree but Small, Sampson, or Wright are closer to stepping into the slot role at this point.

It will be interesting if Williams requests a move. I wonder how quickly they could get him ready? Maybe 2 weeks to get him a limited playbook?

What worries me is if several of our receivers are not catching balls from the rocket launcher, how well will a DB do??
Catching punts probably comes close. Many of them travel about 70 yds off the punter's foot.

Can't wait to see "dee squirrel" package...and how the safeties decide deep coverage. And, for a different twist, "dee Sampson squirrel" package. Don't run it early in the game, want those defenders to be a bit tired

Reactions: Wireless1
I am sure they will work Dee in with plays he is comfortable with first. Having a extra week to work him into the playbook will help him. I imagine the guys will be helping him too. His ability in space could really help us. In 2 weeks time we should be able to get him comfortable with enough if the offense that he can contribute. I like the move, he can still help us in the return game some. GVO

The more I think about it, the more I can see him being subbed in to an oddball formation with the idea it'll cause a defensive TO.

If we have thought of all of these concerns, then I'm sure Heupel has too.

He has watched the offense for a couple of years, it's not like he is totally ignorant of the plays, routes, and signals they use.

Reactions: bpalmer28
He’s been playing DB in practice against the WR routes for 2 seasons. While it’s not the same as knowing the playbook with all of its WR option routes…..he’s probably picked up some stuff. Add in the off week and it really just comes down to how quick a learner he is.

There’s no one on the team capable of replacing Bru or they would already be on the field. It’s all going to be a compromise. With Joe’s ability to throw the ball to any point on the field at any time…..I’ll take a speedster as compromise.

That's the part that makes me wonder how much we really see him out there. It's a big ask to switch a guy to receiver mid-season in a hurry up style offense with a bunch of read routes.
That's where I would guess short dump routes as a check down and let his talent do the work after the catch.

If Dee wants to get on the field on offense, he needs to be playing running back. He's not a straight line burner but has a little more of that wiggle to make guys miss in the box.

Our offense doesn’t do “packages”. We aren’t going to run him in for a play then sub him out. We don’t sub. It’s just not how our offense works. I’d love to see it cause Dee is incredible with the ball in this hands but I just don’t think we’re gonna see him contribute on offense. It’s just not how our offense works imo
Exactly what I was saying. Just have to be more versatile than just in a package.

VN Store

Back