December 1985

Thanks. It was special to me.
85 was the first year that I followed the Vols on a religious level. I have vivid memories of having the game on the radio and my cousin and me with an old football re-enacting each play in my grandmother's yard. A much more simple and enjoyable time.

Yes sir, that year galvanized my love for the Vols as well. I had listened to them with dad since the mid 70's, but that was the first time I remember UT getting that kind of national attention.

One of my favorite all time seasons. Went to all the home games that year and traveled to the Florida game. My late father and I went to the Vandy game so we could see them wrap up the SEC title. Anyway took a girlfriend to the Sugar Bowl and the whole way down from Greenville, SC where I lived it was pouring rain. She voiced some concern about trying to see a football game in such weather and it dawned on me she didn't know the Sugar Bowl was at the Super Dome. I had a ball for the next four hours telling her it could be hurricane and we were going to the game; that I had followed this team all year that we were SEC Champs for the first time in 15 years and I didn't care how hard it rained we were going! By the time we got to Montgomery she was pretty ill so I told her it was in a Dome. For some reason she got even madder!! Women??!! But a couple of hurricanes and some Mardi Gras beads from the French Quarter and she was fine. Having a bar 50 feet from our seats helped as well. I remember it felt like a home game. The entire stadium was orange and the noise was deafening. It didn't start well. Miami got the ball first and went for it on 4th down. Made the 1st down and scored on a long pass a play or two later. 7-0 was as good as it ever got for the Hurricanes. The turning point in my opinion was with the Vols up 7 (as I remember) The Vols stopped the Miami drive at about the Miami 40 leaving a bout a 3rd and 8. Miami was called for holding. Everyone thought Majors would decline the penalty but be took it making it 3rd and 18. They dialed up a blitz sacked Testeverde making it like 4th and 27. Short punt the Vols score on a short field; 21-7 and it was pretty much over. Anyway that's how I remember it through a Jack and Coke fog:)

Reactions: 1 person
I can't recall the sideline reporter's name, but in the halftime interview with Jimmy Johnson, he told the coach, " I still think you're No.1." There was a debate about whether Oklahoma or Miami would be numero uno after the Canes beat Tennessee. :p

Tim Brant...he also brought up how Miami had been down two TDs to Florida State and rallied.

All the stories on this thread are pretty damn cool. It's definitely a blast getting to see the same game through so many different perspectives.

Last edited:
Evidently I fell asleep sometime during and my first question to my grandmother was asking if we won. My parents brought me back a sweatshirt from the game and I wore it everywhere. Got to see every home game that season and it was the first time I saw the goalposts come down. Magical to a 10yo

I was 23 years old and in my prime, what a night January 1 1986 was, when Powell broke lose for a 60 yard TD, THAT WAS THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN FOR MIAMI, that was the biggest win in my lifetime as a fan, only thing that toped that was 1998 NC.:dance2: I am old and wore out now:cray: but I just might have one more raising h@ll night left in me for the right game.:clapping:

One of the things that ticked me off about the ESPN 30 for 30 and "The U" was the conveniently left out when Miami didn't intimidate it's opponent and got kicked in the teeth. They didn't bring up the Sugar Bowl against Tennessee. And for Lamar Thomas to be running his mouth for the whole program and not have someone point out to him the butt kicking Alabama delivered to them and George Teague running him down ticked me off.

Always enjoy seeing Miami get beat.

I happened to attend the Florida-Tennessee game that season.

One of the things that ticked me off about the ESPN 30 for 30 and "The U" was the conveniently left out when Miami didn't intimidate it's opponent and got kicked in the teeth. They didn't bring up the Sugar Bowl against Tennessee. And for Lamar Thomas to be running his mouth for the whole program and not have someone point out to him the butt kicking Alabama delivered to them and George Teague running him down ticked me off.

I always felt that the proceeding championship in which......jerrysandusky's.....Penn State D got so much aplomb for using the EXACT SAME D...was equally eye roll worthy. :glare:

that was my first bowl game I went to and had a blast.

Me too, I was a senior at UT. New Years Eve on Bourbon Street and then watching Big Orange roll. I still remember watching Jeff Powell's td run. My seat was in end zone behind the play. Oline opened massive hole for Powell to run through. You could see it would be a td right away.

I seem to remember WOKI playing "Rocky Top" over and over after the VOLS beat Miami that year. It even came to the point where they had to drag the DJ out of the booth.

That sounds familiar!

Alright, here's my SugarVols cool story bro.

I was 15yo at the time and we lived out in a rural area where cable tv was just a dream. I usually spent weekends at my grandmother's house in town to be with my friends and all the action in town. Lol! Anyway, my dad would come by on Sunday afternoon to pick me up. I remember him coming by and all along the long drive home talking about how we wished we could watch the Sugar Bowl, but we couldn't pick it up on the old antenna. I was down in the dumps and I remember dad telling me that it would be okay. We would sit out in his truck an Mr. Ward would paint the picture for us on the radio. He even told me that if the game went well, he might even let me have a beer. Lol!

Well, as we topped the hill just before our house, I saw a sight that made me feel like every Christmas I had ever experienced rolled up into one. There, in our back yard, was a shiny brand new satellite receiver! It was one of those early big azz suckers that were everywhere in the '80's. I was speechless! My old man giggled like a kid and said,

"Did you honestly think that there was any way in hell we were going to miss this?"

Not as cool as most of the stories here but I get a little choked up thinking back on that day.
Anyone remember what channel you were watching when the dish pointed straight up? :D

For those of us that are old enough to remember, how excited were you leading up to the Sugar Bowl following the 1985 season?

For me, I was 13 years old and living in Lenoir City. I used to listed to Phil Williams on 103.5 (Rock 104 in 1985) and watch the Bowl Brothers every day. The excitement was off the charts! Anyone else have special memories of that December?

Here's a special nugget from that month!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23iaMmti_nk

I was 17 and I still think the '85 season was more exciting than '98

I found it somewhat funny watching that 30 for 30 the u and they mention Jimmy Johnsons first year there losing 5 games yet they do not mention the 1985 season at all like it didn't happen even though Miami was playing us for a very good shot at a national title considering they beat the eventual national champion Oklahoma in Norman that year.

We took our 5-year old son to his first bowl game. New Orleans was ORANGE all over & the VOLS dismembered the 'Canes! Bourbon St. bandsplaying "Rocky Top", the Superdome thunderous on game day, offense & defense playing out of their minds...probably the greatest UT moment I've ever experienced! :salute:

I was in high school that year. A few years later a I was at UT and we went down for the Sugar Bowl vs UVA. We gave some old guy on Bourbon St., in a wheelchair that was supposedly blind, a five spot in his case to play Rocky Top on his Saxophone. He was butchering the hell out of it so my buddy decided he had not earned the $5 and reached down and took it out of his case. All of a sudden the healing power of Jesus must have come over that guy because he jumped out of that wheelchair so fast and started chasing my buddy down Bourbon St for that five spot! Too bad for him my buddy had some serious wheels and that chase was short lived. The rest of us went from stunned to ROTF(Bourbon St) LMAO! Epic trip. Been asking myself ever since why in the world did I ever graduate?

I seem to remember WOKI playing "Rocky Top" over and over after the VOLS beat Miami that year. It even came to the point where they had to drag the DJ out of the booth.

I believe it was Shotgun Stevens and the song he played was 'Orange Blooded'. He played it 35 times in a row, iirc. :rock:

Probably my favorite season as a Vols fan. I was fifteen years old. First season dad had gotten us season tickets. The whole year was magical. The team just came together. I was at the game when Bo Jackson and Auburn came to town and Tennessee played awesome that day also. By the end of the year our defense was unbelievable. Chris White was a fifth year senior and had I believe had 11 interceptions. Enjoyed the National Championship in the 98 season but the 85 season will probably always be my favorite. GO BIG ORANGE!
White led the nation that year in ints.

I hated that 30 for 30. The whole show was just a big egofest for those players.

Congrats on your big win over us that year. You all played well. Glad you were on probation, though. Or else we all wouldn't have those wonderful experiences and these wonderful memories.

One thing people forget or may not even know. The Bama-LSU game near the end of the year had to end in a tie for us to go to the Sugar Bowl (if we then won out). I watched that whole game thinking of in-game scenarios that would result in a tie. It ended 14-14. Couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
By far my favorite game of all time in the 50 plus years I've been watching football on any level. Nobody in the nation outside of Tennessee gave us any chance.

Definitely my greatest memory as a lifelong Vol fan. Was 20 at the time. Remember the game, party, and that great winning feeling like it was last week!

Believe or not, my new wife and I watched the game at Harrahs in Lake Tahoe, on our honeymoon!!

Incredible Game, of course we have many even better memories from that trip!! :):):):):)

I believe it. I was AT the game as a part of my honeymoon. Had a 2 week honeymoon the 2nd of which we 2 alums spent in NO on Bourbon street b4 and after game. Downed Hurricanes at both Pat O Briens and in the Dome!!!!

The year I graduated from college. On Bourbon street, the UT faithful were kidding the U fans by saying, "In your eye Hurricanes".

The pundits gave UT no chance of winning with our 2nd string QB (Daryl Dickey). But they forgot about Tim McGhee (future all pro NFL WR) and.......a RB x-fer from William and Mary named Jeff Powell. He was awesome.

I remember Keith Jackson commenting on Tim McGhee, "If he's even...he's leavin'". The ABC commentators (Jackson and Frank Browles - former Ark Coach) couldn't believe UT's speed when compared against the U. And our defense......we had Alabama's DC from the year before and there were several plays where UT had ALL OF ITS PLAYERS up on the line against the Heisman Trophy winning QB and very first $1M NFL player - Vinny Testeverde.

Dale Jones (LB), Jeff Smith (TE), Harry Galbraeth (OG), the team was loaded....and so was Coach Majors!!!

Great memories....

I also graduated from UT in 1985 and moved to Atlanta. My wife and I drove to New Orleans on New Years Eve because we had to work. We rolled into New Orleans around 2:00 am on Jan. 1st. We partied on Bourbon Street and went to the game that night. I had to be back at work on January 2 so after the game we had to drive back to Atlanta and arrived around 6:00 AM . I took a shower and went straight to work. It's amazing what you can do when you're young. 48 hours with no sleep, no problem. I couldn't even think about doing that today!

that was my first bowl game I went to and had a blast.

I was there also with my stepdad. he got wasted and we had a couple of hookers try to pick us up, but I came to watch football and not only were we loud but we tore tetaverdes ass up. I had a tshirt somewhere that said "Miami eat **** and die" but have no idea where it is now
:rock:

Thanks GreveHaller and Doyle for 2 of my favorite posts of 2014. :good!:

For Christmas that year Dad took us all to the Sugarbowl as a family. Simply unforgettable and I've been a big orange football addict ever since - 85 Auburn game was special too.

Everything went right that game - GreveHaller's memory of halftime show was perfect.

Great memories

VN Store

Back