December 1985

Remember that day too. My college girlfriend then was from Alabama, and I remember her saying that day when she was with me "I'm going to head back home and let y'all watch that game together tonight". I thought it was a little extreme at the time. But looking back, she had wisdom at a young age, from growing up in Bammerland.

Proabably a good thing because my late father and I "hooped and hollered" and threw insults at the Yankee blowhard announcers we were up @ 21-7.

From the game I remember ...
#1 Delong?/Jones living in Testaverde's grill all night
#2 Tim McGee going beast mode.
#3 That monster TD from Jeff "who is #21?" Powell

... but my biggest memory was one of the Vols defensive guys calling Testaverde "Testes" in the post game interviews. Rocky Top hospitality :eek:lol:

... oh, I almost forgot the most important part. That girl. She was pretty smokin' for a Bammer and had all her teeth too. But, later I found out she was "1/2 bear but not 1/2 cat", so I moved on to greener pastures. Good riddance. :air_kiss:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I was so excited I paid $110 each for 2 tix for me and the wife and my entire family from Middle made the trip. We had a blast, and even met Johnny and Jimmy Johnson the
night before at Brousards. Bought them a drink, which they didnt need cause both were already blasted out of their minds. LOL Greatest game of all time, along with the greatest experience.

Oh yeah, and its my AV. :rock:

Last edited:
I seem to remember WOKI playing "Rocky Top" over and over after the VOLS beat Miami that year. It even came to the point where they had to drag the DJ out of the booth.

I was at the game. It was simply awesome. And while I don't remember the French qtr after the game I am sure it was just as awesome.

This game took place 5 years before I was born, but I have watched it, and it was a great game. From what I've read and heard from others, not many people was giving us much of a chance, and yet we put a old fashioned Tennessee whopping on them. For anyone who cares, here is a good article on the game written way back then.

SUGAR BOWL - MIAMI SURPRISED BY TENNESSEE, 35-7 - NYTimes.com

Reactions: 1 person
Probably my favorite season as a Vols fan. I was fifteen years old. First season dad had gotten us season tickets. The whole year was magical. The team just came together. I was at the game when Bo Jackson and Auburn came to town and Tennessee played awesome that day also. By the end of the year our defense was unbelievable. Chris White was a fifth year senior and had I believe had 11 interceptions. Enjoyed the National Championship in the 98 season but the 85 season will probably always be my favorite. GO BIG ORANGE!

Little did I know, that was my first season as a "future vol"
7 months old.
I would take my first steps 2 months later. My uncle gave me my first Vol shirt, which I wore under my coat at a chevy dealership in Memphis as I let go of the bumper of my dads would be truck and walked clear across the parking lot.

29 years later I find out , I am a true fan. A VFL .
A guy whom Has Never donned any other teams colors.
Never Cheered for any other athletes besides those clad in Orange.
Volleyball, soccer, swimming, basketball , and football.
Watching that game just now was incredible!

Now to influence my son , my first born, whom will be torn between two great athletic programs to be a fan of.(other is the only sec team in the sunshine state,my wife cheers for)
Go Vols!
Beat Iowa!

GBO, I was a Sophmore in HS that season, I recall it like it was yesterday! Probably my favorite UT team of all time!

I had that cassette tape with songs from all the radio stations in town, I played it broke. I love that song and still do!!

Shake the Sugar Bowl

Believe or not, my new wife and I watched the game at Harrahs in Lake Tahoe, on our honeymoon!!

Incredible Game, of course we have many even better memories from that trip!! :):):):):)

True fan right there , I probably would've missed it ! :yes:

The 1985 team had a reunion a couple of years ago. My wife went and stood in line for hours and got a 1985 vols shirt signed by about 25 sugar vols and coach Majors. Best Christmas present ever!

I was 25. Daughter was born on Dec 8. Went to game with younger brother and friend from Nashville. Sat 3 rows behind Lee Greenwood. Those were good times.

one of my good friends played DL for the Hurricanes and that Sugar Bowl was his last game. He always said he felt like he played safety that game because the OL for Tennessee kept pushing him back so far.

One of my best memories of TN football is that game. Keith Jackson called the game. He did not give and continued not giving TN a chance to win until the score got to the point there was no way Miami could win.

I was at the game. It was simply awesome. And while I don't remember the French qtr after the game I am sure it was just as awesome.

The French Quarter was so crowded that one could not move. We were there at midnight and it took us 45 minutes to get to a place were we could stretch our arms. I have not been to Times Square at midnight New Years Eve, but it can never be more crowded than The French Quarter was that night.

Probably my favorite season as a Vols fan. I was fifteen years old. First season dad had gotten us season tickets. The whole year was magical. The team just came together. I was at the game when Bo Jackson and Auburn came to town and Tennessee played awesome that day also. By the end of the year our defense was unbelievable. Chris White was a fifth year senior and had I believe had 11 interceptions. Enjoyed the National Championship in the 98 season but the 85 season will probably always be my favorite. GO BIG ORANGE!

That 85/86 trumps all seasons for me...even the 98 NC

The French Quarter was so crowded that one could not move. We were there at midnight and it took us 45 minutes to get to a place were we could stretch our arms. I have not been to Times Square at midnight New Years Eve, but it can never be more crowded than The French Quarter was that night.

It was a sea of Orange on Bourbon Street! Bumped into my cousin in that throng, who yelled: "Maybe Testaverde should take up tennis!" GBP! :hi:

For those of us that are old enough to remember, how excited were you leading up to the Sugar Bowl following the 1985 season?

For me, I was 13 years old and living in Lenoir City. I used to listed to Phil Williams on 103.5 (Rock 104 in 1985) and watch the Bowl Brothers every day. The excitement was off the charts! Anyone else have special memories of that December?

Here's a special nugget from that month!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23iaMmti_nk

104 and Phil Williams in the same reference, WOW.... That alone brings back memories....

*edit*
Ole Phil Williams is making commercials now adays here in Kingsport for car lots. Just a FYI moment.

I was 16 and wow what a game i was forever hooked on the underdog Vols! We as always listened to john ward and turned the sound off tv. I remember the tee shirts that had smokey peeing on the canes! :rock:

One of my all time favorite games of all time. I watch this game every year about a week before the new season starts to get me fired up and ready for game 1. Its like a good movie, I can almost recall every play and every quote from the broadcast crew. My favorite of course is the Jeff Powell run to the house out running Bennie Blades and the comments about Blades world class speed. (actually another vol passed Blades and ran with powell to the end zone.

if this is long, sorry

85 Sugar Bowl. This was my 4th year at UT (cant say "senior" as I didnt quite have enough hours) and 4th year with the POTSB. We had already been to the Peach Bowl, the Citrus Bowl, flew to El Paso for the Sun Bowl, and now the Sugar Bowl. We arrived a few days after Christmas in Knoxville to board buses taking us to NO. At that point they told us that not only were we staying in the Marriott a block off Bourbon St but our meal stipend was $200. That was alot of money back in '85.

There were TONS of UT fans there. Tons. We took over Bourbon St every night. Sure there were a few UM fans but not many. When we asked why they said most fans in the city were waiting for the Dolphins to make it to the Super Bowl and then they were going to NO.

Game day and we're spiraled up on the sideline like the Pride does for every pregame. UM band goes out first and does their little pregame which concludes with them opening a huge hurricane flag and waiving it. They few fans in the stadium got excited. They were marching off the field when the rumbling started. "What's that??' we asked each other. "Dont know". Then the drummer tapped across the endzone. Tap. Tap. Tap. And the rumble grew louder. When Ed Nichols and the drum line reached mid field. The rumble was really, really loud. I looked to everyone in my spiral and said "folks, this place is gettin' ready to explode". Whistle blows and we start peeling out of the spirals onto the field. Its getting even louder. We get to our spots and turn where I blew my first note. All I can tell you is that it is the only time in all my years or marching that I only heard myself play and that was barely. I cannot even begin to describe to you how f*****g loud the crowd was.

We're nearing half time and the band empties out to go to the side line. I happened to be on the Miami side of the field and as it gets closer to half time UM is trying to drive down the field. The FG kicker is right in front of us warming up so we all begin to talk among ourselves on how far that FG attempt is. We're talking really, really load to each other too. We're not even sure if Fuad would be able to make it from that distance. Kicker goes out. And misses. Victory is ours.

Halftime show goes off and if you've ever seen the the vids you'll know that the very last song was Lee Greenwood singing with us "God Bless The USA". I knew it would be special when we were making a formation and right after he said "....to the hills of Tennessee!". The roar happened again. Awesome. The finale was making a huge eagle and unrolling a flag in its middle while Lee sang those last notes "God Bless The U....S.....A". It was deafening it was so loud. At that point I said to myself "when you go out, you go out on top" and that was about on top as you could get marching. It was my last show as a member of the Pride and any marching band.

For you young 'uns that werent there you just cant believe how many UT fans were there. I would go out to eat with my mom and dad, saving my meal money for liquid refreshments, and when I came back to my hotel all my friends were out. I'd hit Bourbon St and within a block or two I'd see people I knew. I think the whole state was there.

Awesome, awesome time.

Reactions: 15 people

VN Store

Back