Debuts of HC’s We Wanted & Didn’t Get

DERELICK_MY_VOLS

WARNING : READER AGGRESSION IS ADVISED
Scott Frost/Nebraska: 0-2 with losses to Colorado 33-28 & Troy 24-19.

Chip Kelly/UCLA (my pick cuz of current roster type): 0-3 with losses to Cincinnati 26-17, Oklahoma 49-21, & Fresno State 38-14.

Willie Taggart/FSU: 1-2 with a win against Samford (not Stanford) 36-26 then losses to VaTech 24-3 & Syracuse 30-7.

Just a reminder that super hires like Frost & Kelly are not guaranteed instant W’s.

I would have been fine with Frost, but it was clear to all that if the Nebraska job was offered to him, he would take it. Can't blame him for that, and his departure from UCF was first-class (stayed for the bowl game).

Frost faces a rebuilding job on par with, if not bigger than, the one at UT. Doesn't he have a walk-on starting at QB?

Come back in 2 or 3 years and see where Frost has that Nebraska team.

Go Vols.

I would have been fine with Frost, but it was clear to all that if the Nebraska job was offered to him, he would take it. Can't blame him for that, and his departure from UCF was first-class (stayed for the bowl game).

Frost faces a rebuilding job on par with, if not bigger than, the one at UT. Doesn't he have a walk-on starting at QB?

Come back in 2 or 3 years and see where Frost has that Nebraska team.

Go Vols.

He's toast at Nebraska. Unless he can reestablish a talent pipeline back into California again, and that is unlikely as most of the PAC teams including Cal Berkeley surprisingly, are very interested in football again. There was a time at Cal two things would make you an outcast on campus. The first was wearing your ROTC gear and the other was being a football player on scholly. Nebraska is not going to get a lot of the quality players out of there these days.

I honestly never saw anyone mention Taggart as an option, that I can remember.

A few folks mentioned Frost, but mostly acknowledging that he was probably going to Nebraska.

A few more mentioned Kelly, but I never got the impression that many were serious about him.

The big names on this board (each with at least as many detractors as proponents) were Gruden, Mullen, Miles, Kiffin, and--once Currie started talking to him--Leach.

Kelly would be a distant 6th behind those, with Frost even further in the background. Taggart non-existent.

That's how I recall it, anyway.

Last edited:
Frost will be fine...he's kinda living in a parallel universe to Pruitt. Nebraska fans are pretty similar to UT, in terms of passion. They don't have as big a hill to climb in Big !0, so that's a positive. But, I think they don't dip down into Texas as easily because they're more "out of sight, out of mind". UT is probably the most similar to Nebraska as any other program on hard times right now. I think jury out on Taggert and even Kelly. Kelly caught the nation by surprise w/ his offense and everyone else has caught up...

Reactions: Volatility
He's toast at Nebraska. Unless he can reestablish a talent pipeline back into California again, and that is unlikely as most of the PAC teams including Cal Berkeley surprisingly, are very interested in football again. There was a time at Cal two things would make you an outcast on campus. The first was wearing your ROTC gear and the other was being a football player on scholly. Nebraska is not going to get a lot of the quality players out of there these days.

My guess (I have zero data to support my theory, as usual...) would be that he faced a similar situation at UCF, competing with the likes of FSU, UF, Miami, USF, and the zillion or so P5 teams that mine Florida talent. Granted, it's a lot different in Lincoln, probably different enough that the comparison, if valid, doesn't compare (you still with me?), but something tells me Frost will find enough talent...somewhere...to make Nebraska relevant again.

Best to beat him now, while you can.

Go Vols.

On the list, UT and Nebraska are rebuilding jobs. FSU has the people in place to win quickly and UCLA does as well, but they aren't built for Chip Kelly's system. I would be really worried if I was an FSU fan. I would wait 2 more years on UCLA. We are just a decent OL away from being competitive in the SECe. I think the two CB's will be a strength at the end of the year on the D.

I honestly never saw anyone mention Taggart as an option, that I can remember.

A few folks mentioned Frost, but mostly acknowledging that he was probably going to Nebraska.

A few more mentioned Kelly, but I never got the impression that many were serious about him.

The big names on this board (each with at least as many detractors as proponents) were Gruden, Mullen, Miles, Kiffin, and--once Currie started talking to him--Leach.

Kelly would be a distant 6th behind those, with Frost even further in the background. Taggart non-existent.

That's how I recall it, anyway.
Sounds about like what I remember, It was a crazy time so can't remember all of it I guess. Seems to me it was- pipe dream Gruden, Realistic - Mullen, Norvall, Leach and for some reason Dave Doreon kept being brought up and who could forget Shiano

Sounds about like what I remember, It was a crazy time so can't remember all of it I guess. Seems to me it was- pipe dream Gruden, Realistic - Mullen, Norvall, Leach and for some reason Dave Doreon kept being brought up and who could forget Shiano

Yeah, I agree. I think Norvall, Doreon, Leach, and Schiano were discussed here purely in response to Currie flailing about. I don't recall any crowd getting behind any of those, at all, except Leach.

All the heavier support (and discussion) centered around the Gruden-Mullen-Miles-Kiffin targets.

I didn't want Taggart and don't know many who did, but I am still shocked at how bad his team looks. I wish they were at least decent because when they are it hurts the Gators. Sitting pretty at number 3 on the Coaches Hot Seat and FSU fans have spawned multiple GoFundMe campaigns to raise his buyout.

While most wanted Gruden, our former AD was happy with Schiano and apparently may have offered to Mullen. There was backlash, then they went to Doreon. Then he interviewed Chad Morris (Per Morris--who said he was distracted and told them he thought he was going to be fired) then Leach. Fulmer interviewed Steele, the Georgia DC and Pruitt. Rumors out there about Brohm (Jimmy Hyam) Taggert, (who was holding out for better than VOLS) Chip Kelly and Scott Frost.

Taggart's name definitely got thrown around in connection with our job, but basically every coach in America's was at some point. He was reportedly looking to get out of Oregon, and his agent was likely dropping it into every opening.

Dave Doeren actually got offered the job and turned it down after a mini-Schiano reaction to it on social media made it clear to him he'd be walking into a buzzsaw.

The one name I haven't seen on this thread is Jeff Brohm, who Jimmy Hyams had coaching us for a few hours in December. 0-3 after three close losses to Northwestern, Eastern Michigan, and Mizzou. [Edit: Got mentioned while I was typing this}

I wanted Tee Martin if they were willing to take a chance on an assistant but Pruitt is ok with me. But since i knew they were going to go cheap i was wanting to at least give a shot to Mike Houston. What he has done at James Madison he can build something. Sooner or later when he gets his shot he will make a very good hire.

Neal Brown should have been high on the list. He's going to be a big deal if he decides to move up.

Reactions: farmin68
Honestly, I think all three will be fine. Willie Taggart's disposition in a big program gives me concerns, though.

I'm cool with Pruitt, considering how badly we screwed up the coaching search, but I was on the Lane train. I never wanted Mullen (can't stand that dude) or Taggert, and I thought Kelly would be a bad fit for us. Gruden and Frost were drug-induced hallucinations.

Honestly, I think all three will be fine. Willie Taggart's disposition in a big program gives me concerns, though.
Imo, Frost will be fine, Kelly won't do as good as people thought and have no confidence in Taggart.
I'm not even sure what he has done that got him FSU

Last edited:
I’m guilty as charged. I wanted Kelly bad and quite honestly, once he gets the kids he wants at UCLA I think that they will be throwing up some big numbers. That being said, I’m happy with Pruitt so far.

VN Store

Back