Dealership wrecked MY brand new car

I didn't mean that it was an excuse. And OP has every right to be upset that his car has been wrecked but being an a$$hole about the situation isn't going to help things.
I want you to be nice.. until it's time..to not be nice

It's probably time

I didn't mean that it was an excuse. And OP has every right to be upset that his car has been wrecked but being an a$$hole about the situation isn't going to help things.

Also if the OP wants this handled quickly I would say bring a lawyer to the dealership would only slow things down. Because I am sure if OP brings his lawyer into it then the dealership is going to bring theirs and I would think that would probably slow things down. Not saying it would be wrong to show up with a lawyer but just saying it might slow things down.

There is a lot of room between being "as nice as I can be" and being an *******. It already sounds like they are trying to make it go away without actually doing the right thing. Not getting your lawyer involved from the start in a matter like this is just asking to get ****ed.......from experience. The role of being as nice as they can be should be that of the dealership and it is clear that they are not making the efforts here.

There is a lot of room between being "as nice as I can be" and being an *******. It already sounds like they are trying to make it go away without actually doing the right thing. Not getting your lawyer involved from the start in a matter like this is just asking to get ****ed.......from experience. The role of being as nice as they can be should be that of the dealership and it is clear that they are not making the efforts here.

Hell at this point I'd bypass the dealership and speak to the regional supervisor.

Hell at this point I'd bypass the dealership and speak to the regional supervisor.

I would have done that right after they stalled connecting me with the GM. I guess he doesn't have a phone. Then again, I'm an *******, especially when a company is trying to bend me over.

I agree there is room between those two extremes. In my experience it would be a good idea to talk to the GM face to face and see what the GM says. If its not satisfactory to the OP then I would say it would be time to get the lawyer involved. But in my experience the lawyer for the dealership is going to drag things out for multiple reasons.

And I agree the dealership should be doing everything within reason and power to make things right for this customer. My guess is they know that the OP will not come back to this dealership after this experience and they are trying to blow it off. Just my guess. If that is what is happening then the OP should be butt about it. I guess my thing is dealerships have the notion that they are out to get one over on everyone and that's not always the case. Trust me there are plenty of idiots out there working in the dealership that shouldn't be because of the way they treat customers.

I would have done that right after they stalled connecting me with the GM. I guess he doesn't have a phone. Then again, I'm an *******, especially when a company is trying to bend me over.

I'm very much the opposite. Growing up with a dad who was an asshat to anyone who works for a company that's on the other end of the phone, I quickly sympathized with them. Like as a child, I said I'd never treat people that way. I'd like to think that, so far in life, I've always been pleasant with people on the phone. And talking to the regional manager, I'd be equally pleasant. He had no hand in this, and he can probably accomplish more than anyone else.

Reactions: 1 person

If the OP calls the customer service number generally customer service will connect them or put them in touch with the regional manager for the area.

I'm very much the opposite. Growing up with a dad who was an asshat to anyone who works for a company that's on the other end of the phone, I quickly sympathized with them. Like as a child, I said I'd never treat people that way. I'd like to think that, so far in life, I've always been pleasant with people on the phone. And talking to the regional manager, I'd be equally pleasant. He had no hand in this, and he can probably accomplish more than anyone else.

If this were a warranty issue that this particular dealership wasn't taking care of the regional manager could handle that. I'm not sure if a situation where the dealership wreck the customers car they would be able to do a whole lot. Since dealerships are franchised the regional manager cant make the dealership do much. It can get the dealership in "trouble" with the manufacturer though.

Searching for advice on this. Bought a car a couple of months ago and the wife was taking it to a closer dealership for it's very first oil change. On the way there, my wife noticed a slight miss when it was at idle and wanted to know if they could check it out. They decided to take it on a test run to find the issue and the mechanic wrecked the car in their own parking lot against a trailer of some kind. Not sure the details, but my car is scraped all the way down the side and gashed the wheel (not tire though). The scrape is deep enough that will require all parts to be replaced and one door is dented in.

The dealership has accepted responsibility but has only offered to fix the car. My problem is that I will now own a brand new car with a bad title that has certainly devalued my car by thousands even when fixed. I have called on several occasions to talk to the GM or owner but the best they can offer me is the service manager, who cannot get me anything approved over what they have already offered which I HAVE NOT ACCEPTED. They said the GM wouldn't be in until Friday and they never see the owner.

I guess my question is, what kind of advice would you give me?

Write reviews on Google, yelp, Bing, Yahoo, etc. Tell the story with a level head and it makes them look really bad. I got a call from my dentist like 2 minutes after I left a review.

Be nice? Seriously? They wrecked his car. My definition of being nice would be to show up with my lawyer and demand that they pay for the diminished value. Bound to happen because they handle a lot of cars is a piss poor excuse IMO. OP should make sure they make it right, or take it to the media, then to small claims.
And that's why everyone hates you.

If this were a warranty issue that this particular dealership wasn't taking care of the regional manager could handle that. I'm not sure if a situation where the dealership wreck the customers car they would be able to do a whole lot. Since dealerships are franchised the regional manager cant make the dealership do much. It can get the dealership in "trouble" with the manufacturer though.

That makes sense. I'd still assume that the regional manager wouldn't give you the same run-around that the dealership has. Speaking to him, I'm guessing, would lead to almost immediate action. Whether or not he can take that action, he'd at least get you speaking with someone who can.

Yep, honey works better than vinegar, it's not going above and beyond to be pleasant to folks. That, and the poor bastard on the other end of the phone in 99.9% of cases has nothing to do with whatever it is you're calling about, so why be an *******?

Stay persistent and document every one who you talk to and every thing. Put it in writing.

Keep a written history.

Diminished value is real and can be compensated for.

I don't recall, have you contacted the manufacturer that the dealer represents? Get them in the loop too if you haven't already.

Yep, honey works better than vinegar, it's not going above and beyond to be pleasant to folks. That, and the poor bastard on the other end of the phone in 99.9% of cases has nothing to do with whatever it is you're calling about, so why be an *******?

I would leave the room when he'd take or make a call to a call center. It was oddly the only time where he really lost all decency. It was kind of strange, because he worked in the service industry, he was always nice to the waiters. But the second it became a phone call, the gloves came off.

Now whenever I'm talking to someone in a call center, I think about how many of my dad that person has to deal with. I just don't have the heart to be anything less than friendly to them. And they generally seem more willing to help.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting to just be a prick about the whole deal, but if they are giving you the runaround, which seems to be the case here, then being nice is great and all but will end up not getting the results that he desires. I also don't think anyone is suggesting to be a prick with some agent on the phone who likely couldn't make a decision about anything other than what coffee to make in the office that day.

I would leave the room when he'd take or make a call to a call center. It was oddly the only time where he really lost all decency. It was kind of strange, because he worked in the service industry, he was always nice to the waiters. But the second it became a phone call, the gloves came off.

Now whenever I'm talking to someone in a call center, I think about how many of my dad that person has to deal with. I just don't have the heart to be anything less than friendly to them. And they generally seem more willing to help.
I used to flip out myself, at an over the top level. One day the lady said "please don't talk to me that way, I'm here to help with your problem".

Well Duh, right? Felt like a douchebag. Turned a new leaf, and that's that. I feel for those folks, nobody ever calls when things are going correctly.

I used to flip out myself, at an over the top level. One day the lady said "please don't talk to me that way, I'm here to help with your problem".

Well Duh, right? Felt like a douchebag. Turned a new leaf, and that's that. I feel for those folks, nobody ever calls when things are going correctly.

that's a strong move on her part

When someone loses it on me on the phone or in person I generally tell them if they cant speak to me like I am talking to them then our conversation is over.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting to just be a prick about the whole deal, but if they are giving you the runaround, which seems to be the case here, then being nice is great and all but will end up not getting the results that he desires. I also don't think anyone is suggesting to be a prick with some agent on the phone who likely couldn't make a decision about anything other than what coffee to make in the office that day.
What I gather is exactly this. I feel like they are holding me off longer and longer in hopes that I just cave and let them repair my car and leave it at that, which will definitely not make me happy. Estimate is in btw for $8200.

Had a new surburban fall off a rack one day at the Chevy dealer while it was getting an oil change. It was 3-4 months old.

Chevy had them go out on the lot and pick a new one out.

I'd be damned if I would let them out of this.

Had a new surburban fall off a rack one day at the Chevy dealer while it was getting an oil change. It was 3-4 months old.

Chevy had them go out on the lot and pick a new one out.

I'd be damned if I would let them out of this.

holy crap

VN Store

Back