Deadspin article on Bruce Pearl

Pearl's whole schtick was being the "last honest man in coaching".

I've listened to him speak to an ethics class at Tennessee about "doing the right thing regardless of consequences" and to "always be able to look yourself in the mirror knowing you did the right thing".

Not defending the guy. Just saying he isn't the only hypocrite in the game.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No one said he is; however when your whole song and dance is being "honest" and you do this crap, you're going to slapped harder.

1. Explain

2. Yet the kid passed a polygraph.

Just saying that just because you aren't convicted doesn't mean you are not guilty.

I firmly believe the kid was offered money.

Not saying what Bruce did was right, I just know enough to not be naive about what college kids get.

Just saying that just because you aren't convicted doesn't mean you are not guilty.

Not saying what Bruce did was right, I just know enough to not be naive about what college kids get.

And for the record I don't blame any college kid for taking money.

That is much different from \/

So two things are clear:

1. Illinois clearly offered the kid money.

2. Pearl tried to use this to benefit his school, and his career.

Wasn't ethical, but I can see why he would want to turn them in. I just dont agree with hurting the player.

And for the record I don't blame any college kid for taking money.

You are an 18 year old kid. Someone offers you $80,000 and a Chevy Blazer. They fail to produce those gifts. Why wouldn’t you sing like a canary?

I know. But I highly doubt Calipari or Calhoun or Izzo or Tressel or Saban or Spurrier are going to speak in an ethics class about what fine upstanding individuals they are.

No one said he is; however when your whole song and dance is being "honest" and you do this crap, you're going to slapped harder.

This is 100% fact.

Just read the article. Not exactly Woodward and Bernstein stuff. It reminded me a little of the hatchet job the book "The Accidental Billionaires" did to Mark Zuckerberg. Take the angriest person you can find, make them the victim somehow, and take one of the many actors in the drama and cast him as the sole villain.

But then again, it is Deadspin.

You are an 18 year old kid. Someone offers you $80,000 and a Chevy Blazer. They fail to produce those gifts. Why wouldn’t you sing like a canary?

Not if you want to play.

Because it makes u look like a cheat.

If u are a top recruit and a school you dont want to attend accuses your top choice of cheating, would you confirm the accusations?

That seems very illogical.

If u are a top recruit and a school you dont want to attend accuses your top choice of cheating, would you confirm the accusations?

That seems very illogical.

Why not. Someone offers you $80,000 & a Chevy Blazer and do not produce it; it seems logical to complain. I would be pissed, wouldn't you?

It is 2011 and he is still denying they offered him. His story has never changed and he passed a polygraph.

Why not. Someone offers you $80,000 & a Chevy Blazer and do not produce it; it seems logical to complain. I would be pissed, wouldn't you?

It is 2011 and he is still denying they offered him. His story has never changed and he passed a polygraph.

Because you don't want to incriminate you or your top choice.

I see your argument, and you could be right. I just don't think you are.

In light of this year's events, it makes you wonder how far Pearl would go for a recruit. Many talk of how invested in UT Pearl is. I'm sure, at the time, he was just as invested in Iowa. If he was willing to lie over a simple cookout, who's to say he wouldn't have lied back then in an attempt to get his guy? I enjoyed what Pearl did at UT but that doesn't make him a saint. Take his success at UT out of the equation and read that article again. Given the character he has shown these past several months, is it really so hard to believe Pearl may have lied about things and ruined Collin's career, just to beat him for a recruit? I'm not saying he did or did not, but I don't think it's an unfathomable idea.

I think it is interesting that Slive was involved as counsel for U of I to counter the allegations of BP. Isn't it also true that UT system President Joe DiPietro has multiple degrees from U of I?

+1
This article could be a 100 page document or some sort of 30 30 show or whatever. This cast of characters that seems to consistently pop up where there is controversy is quite interesting. I guess now that he's exited the building we can talk about him. But, man, this guy is going down faster and more furious than Mike Vick!

An intriguing read. If nothing else gives you some further background on the past history.

One thing is clear: Bruce Pearl has problems with phone calls.

VN Store

Back