Deadspin article on Bruce Pearl

So what's the problem with the articles? They all have funny pictures, are short and to the point and the comments are great.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The Illini fans that I know still, to this day, call Bruce Pearl "Satan". Makes what hatvol says look tame by comparison.

I have some friends who are Illinois fans. They all hate Pearl.

Good article about something I have heard a little about but nothing that comprehensive.

These are just readily available topics that anyone could have known about years in advance. It was NEVER a secret that Pearl has always been a snitch and a snake. One of the greatest posters on ANY board has told some of you over and over. Hatvol also had him pegged long ago.

UK did this with Billy G. We ignored all the signs that something was very wrong with him. It may be 2 totally different coaching situations, but the fans turned a blind eye in the same manner.

As far as Cal goes (because I'm sure this is coming), I feel EXTREMELY confident that we are not doing anything seriously wrong. And I think we can all agree Cal would probably be a little too smart to let these sort of things end his career the way Pearl has.

I think UT needs this. A lot of programs have gone through it. UT needs to be cleaned out from top to bottom. It's needed it for a while. It is a great university that does not have to cheat to win ball games. Football OR BASKETBALL. Excellent venue for everything including or up to woman's basketball. Dooley is a great guy and I think will end up being a CLEAN and WINNING hire. I think if you get a nice coach, and I think you will, UT will be back in the NCAA tourney year after next. Good luck.

Who?

I think it is interesting that Slive was involved as counsel for U of I to counter the allegations of BP. Isn't it also true that UT system President Joe DiPietro has multiple degrees from U of I?

That's not what I got from it. Slive was hired by UI to run the internal investigation. His job was to discover the truth and paint a worst case scenario picture for the university. That's why the UI recruiter's lawyer had to marginalize him. Slive was the IA cop who works for the police busting the dirty policemen.

It makes you wonder though. Slive got canned by UI for allegedly being involved in a Pearl/NCAA conspiracy. Did this leave a bad taste in his mouth for Pearl? Could it have made him too eager to punish Pearl when this round of trouble came around in order to avoid any more allegations that he was complicit in Pearl's shady dealings?

Weird stuff.

That's not what I got from it. Slive was hired by UI to run the internal investigation. His job was to discover the truth and paint a worst case scenario picture for the university. That's why the UI recruiter's lawyer had to marginalize him. Slive was the IA cop who works for the police busting the dirty policemen.

It makes you wonder though. Slive got canned by UI for allegedly being involved in a Pearl/NCAA conspiracy. Did this leave a bad taste in his mouth for Pearl? Could it have made him too eager to punish Pearl when this round of trouble came around in order to avoid any more allegations that he was complicit in Pearl's shady dealings?

Weird stuff.
I can't agree or disagree as to Slive's role or how or what he did. But it is really "weird" as you say about the convergence of BP and Slive again. I would like to know more about DiPietro's time at U of I, too. I think weird is a good way to describe that too. Whole lot of U of I and U of T with B the P.

Yeah, I kinda take these Illinois sport reports or blogs or whatever with a grain of salt. It is a lot like Bama's explanation of Phil Fulmer and Means.

So two things are clear:

1. Illinois clearly offered the kid money.

2. Pearl tried to use this to benefit his school, and his career.

Wasn't ethical, but I can see why he would want to turn them in. I just dont agree with hurting the player.

And every college coach has a lot of the snake-oil salesman stench to him. It's not unique to Pearl.

And every college coach has a lot of the snake-oil salesman stench to him. It's not unique to Pearl.

The only difference between Pearl and most other college coaches is that Bruce got caught and put his program in jeopardy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I kinda take these Illinois sport reports or blogs or whatever with a grain of salt. It is a lot like Bama's explanation of Phil Fulmer and Means.

The Illini fans are a special type of delusional creature. If they were in the same conference as us, I think they would raise to the level of hated nearly as much as Bama or UK. It's a great academic institution, but that does not translate to their fanbase.

College sports is big business, and big business is dirty. It it literally that simple.

The facts are out there, and more seem to emerge on a daily basis.

Bruce Pearl is dirty; he has been caught; and he has been fired. It is, again, literally that simple.

Any person who stands behind Pearl at this point has made it clear that their loyalty lies with a cheating POS who placed self above all else...including the university he claimed to love. Bruce Pearl loves none other than Bruce Pearl, and if you support that...then you are cut from the same cloth.

Good riddance to yet another stain on UT Athletics.

And one more really good reason why Mike Hamilton should be next.

Can we flush the toilet, once and for all, and try to restore some measure of integrity, and pride, in UT Athletics?

We have laid down with the dogs, and woken up with the fleas. It's time to scrub them off, and restore the honor, and pride, that we all used to feel about the Big Orange.

Before it's too late.

Go Vols.

Agreed that it's become BIG BUSINESS...and I'll not get

into the name calling tho...lol

but to restore some sort of dignity to our beloved

University...should we not start with all of the people

that kept pearl on, even after all of this came out, most

def Hambone but why not the OTHERS that we all know

of...

they misled us all, just for the all mighty dollar by

keeping BP on this season...now it's a problem with

integrity...rotflmmfao....sounds like the board and chancellor were

complicit....seems we have alot of integrity issues

now....starting at the top......jmo...

Weird stuff.

Throw in how the NCAA makes their payments from the revenue of the tourney. How does it effect the SEC? You certainly would want a team that went to the elite 8 last year to make it in this year, to maximize "credits". He said himself he thought a half season was warranted because of Pearl's admission. Which seemed kind of weak at the time.

Nothing in there that hasn't been known for years. Still the same he said/he said crap.

Pearl was dirty for taping a kid, Collins was dirtier for paying a kid to play for him.

The cumulative nature of everything CBP did both at Iowa and at Tennessee will never amount to the violation Collins made at Illinois.

This

Nothing in there that hasn't been known for years. Still the same he said/he said crap.

Pearl was dirty for taping a kid, Collins was dirtier for paying a kid to play for him.

The cumulative nature of everything CBP did both at Iowa and at Tennessee will never amount to the violation Collins made at Illinois.

... 1. Illinois clearly offered the kid money....

I assume there is some proof you can point us to.

Last edited:
The quotes from the NCAA investigators for one.

The NCAA did not find Illinois guilty of any wrongdoing relating to Thomas' recruitment, finding that the purported evidence provided was not "credible, persuasive and of a kind on which reasonably prudent persons rely in the conduct of serious affairs.

The quotes from the recording two.

Thomas denied the allegations and said the story was false, that he was agreeing with Pearl only to try to get rid of him. Thomas later passed a polygraph test in which he denied Pearl's accusation of Illinois offering cash and a car.

As I understand it /\

A Chevy Blazer is a pretty firmly tangible object. You would think that the NCAA could have at least sorted that part of it out.

1. OJ Simpson

2. Of course the player denied the claims.

1) What does OJ Simpson have to do with anything?

2) So the NCAA can find a small photograph of a kid standing in Pearls kitchen with Pearl's Assistant Coach's wife in the background but they cannot find a Chevy Blazer?

1) What does OJ Simpson have to do with anything?

2) So the NCAA can find a small photograph of a kid standing in Pearls kitchen with Pearl's Assistant Coach's wife in the background but they cannot find a Chevy Blazer?

1. Everything

2. The recording is what the kid was offered. Not what he received.

Pearl's whole schtick was being the "last honest man in coaching".

I've listened to him speak to an ethics class at Tennessee about "doing the right thing regardless of consequences" and to "always be able to look yourself in the mirror knowing you did the right thing".

VN Store

Back