Dead End University?

Huh? Yea butchy left a ton to be desired to say the least but I'm pretty sure we still had three players drafted and 7 or so more that are able to compete for a job next year. Is it like 20 years ago, hell no but we are not north texas for ****s sake. Put down the shine

Enough with heaping EVERYTHING on Butch. Our decline began long before Lyle hit the scene. Matter-of-fact, we got him because no one else wanted the job. Given what we were willing to pay for a quality coach and the deepened mess the Doody piled on top of an already bad situation. And my post isn't just about coaching, our AD had no small contribution to the whole thing. The fault lies with the university itself, not universal Butch-hate. If we're perceived as a graveyard for coaches, AD, and players, it doesn't bode well for our beloved UT. Might take another decade to wipe the filth away, another ten to fumigate the stink.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I hope not but wonder if the UTn is beginning to be lookd up on as Dead End University. Coaches we hire and fire with noticeable frequency. Though they do do get a big chunk of money out of us before leaving. The AD mess and players with potential going undeveloped and undrafted. I just wonder how we are perceived these days.

The person who has been the President of the University of Tennessee during all of this turmoil will be leaving next year. Leadership starts at the top and trickles down to the different Departments. For sure, some grave mistakes have been made from the top down. Lots see what happens when his replacement is announced. A person of strength and wisdom must be selected to head our University before other critical appointments are made. I pray that the new Board can/will make a wise decision.

Reactions: 2 people
This has got to be the most depressing thread yet. Why all the woe is me stuff? New staff, new HC, new AD, new Chancellor and soon a new president. What happened to the honeymoon period? You guys are sounding like you are negotiating a divorce.

Reactions: 7 people
We don't look good in a Speedo anymore, but we can still pull-off cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt without embarrassing ourselves too much.

That is the dumbest thing I have read on here...at least this morning. Why would he take that kind of risk? Why even come here if the plan was to go back to Bama? Why not just stay there and wait it out? If he comes here, to a dumpster fire, and does not do well, there is no way in hell Bama even interviews him.

That is the dumbest thing I've read on here in sometime. If Pruitt has Tennessee SEC championship competitive in a few yrs, why wouldn't they interview him? 1) He's a bamer, 2) He'd be a proven winner in the SEC and 3) They'd be weakening one of their traditional rivals!

He came to get HC experience, get Tennessee back competitive (hell, which shouldn't be difficult to do if you have a brain) and build his resume. Bama is to Pruitt what USC was to Kiffin. Fortunately it doesn't appear Saban is planning to leave anytime soon.

Bama hired Gene Stallings (Bear boy) after he tanked at A&m. They will hire a bamer guy after Saban. Pruitt will be in the discussion most likely.

I hope not but wonder if the UTn is beginning to be lookd up on as Dead End University. Coaches we hire and fire with noticeable frequency. Though they do do get a big chunk of money out of us before leaving. The AD mess and players with potential going undeveloped and undrafted. I just wonder how we are perceived these days.

Maybe so, after 34 years of stability with Majors and then Fulmer, UT has lost their way with the hirings of Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones.

But, it can be turned around with the right guy at the top. If you don’t believe me, just look at Alabama before hiring Saban. They hired coach after coach trying to find the right guy.

I think the combination of Fulmer and Pruitt will get the Vols back to the SEC Title game and beyond.

We're still Tennessee. There is not a team on our schedule that thinks a trip to Knoxville is a pushover win! I'm not so old that I can't remember a couple of times when an un-ranked Vol team knocked off the national number one in Neyland, and this happened in "down" years.

I personally think the brand is strong as ever. We make more money that any SEC school.

This has got to be the most depressing thread yet. Why all the woe is me stuff? New staff, new HC, new AD, new Chancellor and soon a new president. What happened to the honeymoon period? You guys are sounding like you are negotiating a divorce.

The reason: House of Haslam

I'm sure you and your Bama imbred-thren have no problem frequenting the Pilot to make sure we maintain the status quo.

Since 2008, UT’s former ADs and HFCs (7 people) have a combined 3 years of holding an equivalent position at another P5 institution. Dead End U, or hiring incompetency on multiple levels?

The schedule is too difficult for people who like to pad their numbers.

Real coaches only. There are not many real coaches.

Urban would likely not take the job. Big ten is easier.

Jimbo is getting lots of money, but I don't know if he is serious about delivering a national championship with it.

Pruitt has lived in shadows. He wants his own NC and Tennessee is the place to do it.

That is the dumbest thing I've read on here in sometime. If Pruitt has Tennessee SEC championship competitive in a few yrs, why wouldn't they interview him? 1) He's a bamer, 2) He'd be a proven winner in the SEC and 3) They'd be weakening one of their traditional rivals!

He came to get HC experience, get Tennessee back competitive (hell, which shouldn't be difficult to do if you have a brain) and build his resume. Bama is to Pruitt what USC was to Kiffin. Fortunately it doesn't appear Saban is planning to leave anytime soon.

Bama hired Gene Stallings (Bear boy) after he tanked at A&m. They will hire a bamer guy after Saban. Pruitt will be in the discussion most likely.

Why not Dabo then? Oh that must not fit your stupid narrative.

I don't call 13-0 NC a failure. But since you do, what would it take for you to consider a coach a success?

I guess in your world, one years success is the eternal goal. One banner to wave threadbare for 50 years. In other peoples, it is sustained success. Staying competitive. The kind my grandparents enjoyed under Neyland.

I remember the 98 championship, and relished it. However, I also remember the hows and whys of things getting offtrack under Fulmer. I hated him getting fired, but had no delusions about it being undeserved.

Now that he is AD, I hope and pray he learned from his shortcomings so he might foster sustained success. But if he isn't going to make a sustained run possible, I hope he rides off into the sunset soon. For now, it seems he might be building it the right way. I hope it lasts this time.

You know, as someone famously said, "You are what your record says you are." Her's the thing that bothers me. It seems as if the powers that be at UT have a passive attitude as if the lack of success is something that happens "to" them instead of something they are directly responsible for! I wonder how much it bothers them that we are terrible in almost every sport that matters. And, they don't seem to know that the other ancillary programs matter!
I saw yesterday where Florida's women's Lacross team plays in the Big East, and has won the league title every year that they have played in the league.
Alabama baseball is terrible, but not because they have not made a commitment to it, and you can believe it will be fixed!
At Tennessee, it doesn't seem to matter. Just my opinion

I guess in your world, one years success is the eternal goal. One banner to wave threadbare for 50 years. In other peoples, it is sustained success. Staying competitive. The kind my grandparents enjoyed under Neyland.

I remember the 98 championship, and relished it. However, I also remember the hows and whys of things getting offtrack under Fulmer. I hated him getting fired, but had no delusions about it being undeserved.

Now that he is AD, I hope and pray he learned from his shortcomings so he might foster sustained success. But if he isn't going to make a sustained run possible, I hope he rides off into the sunset soon. For now, it seems he might be building it the right way. I hope it lasts this time.

Guess Steve Spurrier is a failure too since he only won one NC in 96.

Reactions: 3 people
To me,dead end means it's the last stop and the end of your coaching career. Butch is the only one of the last 3 to not be coaching right now so I don't think it is dead end university.
If our new coach can get the job done(I think he can) all this crazy talk will hopefully die down.

We're still Tennessee. There is not a team on our schedule that thinks a trip to Knoxville is a pushover win! I'm not so old that I can't remember a couple of times when an un-ranked Vol team knocked off the national number one in Neyland, and this happened in "down" years.

I personally think the brand is strong as ever. We make more money that any SEC school.

UT has 2 wins over an AP #1 in school history....2.
last one in 1985. Only Bama has more than 5 and is the only team (in the SEC) with a winning record vs AP#1. It's not easy

Last edited:

Even a blind pachyderm finds an acorn sometimes. Well said, Tusk.

OP, why on earth do you insist upon wallowing in program self-pity and flagellation? Do you just enjoy being as Eeyore-like as possible? Does this somehow enrich your life?

Totally not understanding why any Vols fan would take this approach.

VN Store

Back