'24 DC OT Jordan Seaton (Future Portal Entry)

100%.
We don’t lose kids because of a lack of money or sophistication of NIL ever. We might lose kids because we don’t think it makes sense to pay what another school will but not because we can’t. Playing a long game here

No reason to overpay unless its an almost guaranteed stud like Nico

[
100%.
We don’t lose kids because of a lack of money or sophistication of NIL ever. We might lose kids because we don’t think it makes sense to pay what another school will but not because we can’t. Playing a long game here
Curiosity...given the newness of NIL, how is the market value of a recruit determined? When a recruit says another school is offering X amount, does the Spyre ask to see the written contract? Is it verifiable? What keeps a kid from printing up a fake contract from another school's collective to try and increase an offer?

Reactions: onevol74
[

Curiosity...given the newness of NIL, how is the market value of a recruit determined? When a recruit says another school is offering X amount, does the Spyre ask to see the written contract? Is it verifiable? What keeps a kid from printing up a fake contract from another school's collective to try and increase an offer?
I’m guessing they have a value determined for each player and aren’t going over it regardless of what anyone else is offering. I would guess most offers aren’t “verifiable” but people talk though.

The entire rest of the country from fans to analysts think TN has one of the top few collectives in the country. I am confused @BigOrangeTrain Does a recruit choosing another school immediately make people think we are weak, broke, and not as serious as other schools? I think that’s a knee jerk reaction to a few recruits choosing to play at other schools over the last few months. I think the collective has brought us way more than people realize and it will continue for a looooong time. I think some of these other collectives and other universities envy Spyre and the Volunteer club. Don’t hate the collective, hate the game. Tennessee is winning on the field and off the field more times than not.
There are some people who project onto others the idea that only money matters. Maybe that's the way they live their lives. Maybe their only value assessment when making decisions that impact their entire life is the immediate, short-term financial benefit.

As time progresses, a lot of this will work itself out. UT is showing great discipline and strategy IMO. NIL isn't a one time thing. When players who perform start getting their NIL boosted, we will see more schools hesitant about throwing big money at a recruit. You will also see recruits choosing programs that will put them in a position to be successful... and make more NIL money.

The panic around letting opponents overpay for recruits or that UT isn't overpaying... is just dumb.

Last edited:
I’m guessing they have a value determined for each player and aren’t going over it regardless of what anyone else is offering. I would guess most offers aren’t “verifiable” but people talk though.
That's not really how supply and demand works. That's guessing.

That's not really how supply and demand works. That's guessing.
How so? Every commodity you ever bid on will be subject to perceived value or in this case potential value.

This isn't a thing governed by S&D in the sense that the absolute values are known. A guy like Seaton may "look" good as a recruit so you pay him $400k in NIL... and then prove in time that he has the worth of Chris Donald as a player. If Chris Donald were being recruited today, he'd probably command a big NIL payout. And he'd still be a guy who couldn't start for UTC in spite of his 5* rating.

In my business we buy a LOT of feed corn. Our bids are largely pushed by S&D. The value in terms of starch, fiber, and fat are fairly well known or predictable. NIL for HS recruits is a LOT more speculative than that.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
He apparently thinks that if UT/Spyre isn't willing to overpay for a recruit then they aren't strong. It is getting harder to remain even moderately respectful with him.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that you set expectations when you establish a certain "pay" standard/expectation. The floor for future offers is established by what you offer one of these kids. That is especially true when their NIL is based on projections of their potential and not real results. Very quickly you lose the ability to compete and cover future needs. Your ability to hang on to performers is undermined.

Let's say that UT throws a big NIL contract at Nwaneri then he is either injury prone or just isn't as good as expected... and at the same time someone like Trevor Duncan develops into a star. What will he expect his NIL to be? How would he feel about him being a much higher contributor but getting a lot less because you don't have the money to pay him? Would that maybe cause him to consider the portal to get his pay day?

Counterpoint - they only three OL commits in their class.
True, but this kid and the two I mentioned are all OTs. Seems crowded unless one is open to moving, which doesn't seem like a wise career move given the salaries of OTs in the NFL.

True, but this kid and the two I mentioned are all OTs. Seems crowded unless one is open to moving, which doesn't seem like a wise career move given the salaries of OTs in the NFL.

I get it, but also Ginther and Perry are tackles for us - along with the blue chip guy I can't think of right now. Max Anderson could play tackle as well.

I mean, its uscjr - for all intents and purposes we should be able to take who we want over them. But that staff has some weird momentum right now, especially in the DC area. Think it has something to do with Under Armour or something. Maybe that falls off this coming season when they have another 7-5 season, highlighted by getting wrecked by us.

Reactions: ShelbourneVol
Show some proof it’s weak

Well, I mean, we don't have the #1 class in the country. What more proof do you need?

anchorman-science.gif

VN Store

Back