Davis or Deshields

Good for her. If Diamond was on South Carolina she'd be PLAYING IN THE FINAL FOUR too.

I was simply stating a fact.
I don't agree with your opinion that if Diamond was on SC's team she would be play in the final four. Neither will ever be proven. The only fact we know is Diamond is NOT PLAYING IN THE FINAL FOUR!

To me personally, Diamond is not consistent enough, has she ever put consecutively three great games in a row. Let's not act like she didn't have any help either, she had Jamie and Mercedes. Davis has Wilson and gray. I think they are evenly matched as far as talent, at this point Davis has a slight edge over Diamond.

Reactions: 2 people
Why in the world would DD even think about transferring? ... A graduate transfer offers no benefits.

Just to name a few, but I am sure there are others:

Benefit #1: Play on a team that can make the Final Four like Kaela Davis is doing.

Benefit #2: Play on a team that can win a national championship which is one reason Azura Stevens gave for why she transferred to UConn.

Benefit #3: Play for a coach that can help you develop your skills for the next level (assuming a player is open to coaching and change). This is why many high school players choose a PG year before starting college.

Benefit #4: Be in a different draft year for the WNBA if you think it would elevate your draft status. (Of course, just the opposite could happen.)

Benefit #5: Play on a squad with better team chemistry than in your current situation (if applicable).

You act like she did all that herself. She's been terrible almost her entire college career. She shoots 37% for her career. 37! And Diamond gets crucified for low shooting percentages. I don't understand why so many people have this obsession with Davis.

I agree with you, but it is 54% in the last 8 games. I haven't really watched Davis much, but 37% is very very bad. I have watched Diamond, and she has way too many games that look like a bipolar whose medication is off (i.e. listless, unengaged) resulting in horrible shots and bad fouls. And on her good days, I hear, "She's on fire!"; then they flash up "5 for 16 from the field". If I weren't a UT fan, I'd be very tired of hearing the announcers rave about her. So, back to the OP, I'd take Diamond but only because of the non-shooting stuff. All in all, there are at least 20 players across the country I'd take over either of the two.

All in all, there are at least 20 players across the country I'd take over either of the two.

As would most of the country, which is why neither player was on yesterday's AP All-American lists for first, second, or third teams. Neither player was even an Honorable Mention.

I was simply stating a fact.
I don't agree with your opinion that if Diamond was on SC's team she would be play in the final four. Neither will ever be proven. The only fact we know is Diamond is NOT PLAYING IN THE FINAL FOUR!

So you judge individual players by team success?

Just to name a few, but I am sure there are others:

Benefit #1: Play on a team that can make the Final Four like Kaela Davis is doing.

Benefit #2: Play on a team that can win a national championship which is one reason Azura Stevens gave for why she transferred to UConn.

Benefit #3: Play for a coach that can help you develop your skills for the next level (assuming a player is open to coaching and change). This is why many high school players choose a PG year before starting college.

Benefit #4: Be in a different draft year for the WNBA if you think it would elevate your draft status. (Of course, just the opposite could happen.)

Benefit #5: Play on a squad with better team chemistry than in your current situation (if applicable).

Where's the value to Diamond? She has been explicit about her goals-- to help Holly bring UT back to its place among the elite and to be drafted #1. Transferring is counterproductive. She is projected as the #1 draft pick this year. Next year, there will be more competition, including A'ja Wilson.

So it really comes down to which goal means the most to her. It's possible she could come back and achieve both, but it's also possible that coming back could cost her in the draft.

So it really comes down to which goal means the most to her. It's possible she could come back and achieve both, but it's also possible that coming back could cost her in the draft.

Great points!

Benefit #6: The AP All-Americans all played for top teams. Would being on a better team make a player more likely to be honored as an All-American? It didn't help Kaela. Would it have helped Diamond this year if individual recognition is something she is seeking?

Are we that bored that we are talking about other players from another school? How did this happen? And the post about Diamond not being a team player because she didn't play like the rest of her teammates is absurd. How many times did we see Diamond dish to Mercedes for a easy bucket. Without her there would be no team. She was probably the most unselfish player on the court.

Reactions: 7 people
Great points!

Benefit #6: The AP All-Americans all played for top teams. Would being on a better team make a player more likely to be honored as an All-American? It didn't help Kaela. Would it have helped Diamond this year if individual recognition is something she is seeking?

I haven't heard Diamond say her goal is to be an AP AA. Have you?

Diamond has been the better player through most of their careers, but in the last month Davis has surpassed her.

A'ja Wilson is still A'ja Wilson, but Davis is the reason they won the SEC and are now back in the Final Four. Reminds me somewhat of Breanna Stewart in the post season her freshman year. It looks like the light bulb has finally gone off and she is a completely different player now...

I thought the same thing regarding the Stewart comparison. It's amazing how Davis has done a complete 180 with her play in the tournament.

Pre Coates injury she averaged: 11.8 points while shooting 34.9% from the field and 32.8% from 3.

Since Coates went out, she is averaging 18 points on 51.6% FG and 50% from 3pt land. With outstanding showings against some very good teams (Mississippi State, Florida State, Arizona State, Kentucky, etc.)

Better spacing without Coates seems to be all the difference for her. I'm curious to see how she does next season, if she's able to maintain this high level of play without a big 5 in there like Coates, or if she's just on a hot streak right now and reverts back to lower percentages.

Reactions: 1 person
To me personally, Diamond is not consistent enough, has she ever put consecutively three great games in a row. Let's not act like she didn't have any help either, she had Jamie and Mercedes. Davis has Wilson and gray. I think they are evenly matched as far as talent, at this point Davis has a slight edge over Diamond.

She also have Bianca quevas-Moore & harris who are for better than Middleton, Reynolds & Jackson combined.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with you, but it is 54% in the last 8 games. I haven't really watched Davis much, but 37% is very very bad. I have watched Diamond, and she has way too many games that look like a bipolar whose medication is off (i.e. listless, unengaged) resulting in horrible shots and bad fouls. And on her good days, I hear, "She's on fire!"; then they flash up "5 for 16 from the field". If I weren't a UT fan, I'd be very tired of hearing the announcers rave about her. So, back to the OP, I'd take Diamond but only because of the non-shooting stuff. All in all, there are at least 20 players across the country I'd take over either of the two.

There isn't one player I would take over diamond in the country. If she played at uconn, Stanford or notre dame with better coaching she would easily be considered the best player in the country. There's a reason she is projected the #1 pick & the other "20 players across the country" aren't.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm starting to believe the Davis family is obsessed with diamond. They were taking shots at diamond on twitter last night after the win, so classless.

Kelsey bone (WNBA player) who is very close to the Davis family tweeted "Because people are just taking the diamond colored glasses off and paying attention does NOT mean she hasn't been doing this her WHOLE LIFE!" & the whole Davis clan retweeted it.

I'm starting to believe the Davis family is obsessed with diamond. They were taking shots at diamond on twitter last night after the win, so classless.

Kelsey bone (WNBA player) who is very close to the Davis family tweeted "Because people are just taking the diamond colored glasses off and paying attention does NOT mean she hasn't been doing this her WHOLE LIFE!" & the whole Davis clan retweeted it.
kelsey and "the Davis family" wasn't doing all the talking when she was at tech in my eyes all kd can do is shoot they act like diamond ain't do damage when we beat them in their house

Reactions: 6 people
The difference is Dawn has given Kaela the green light to take over and hasn't made her force it inside to Wilson with Coates no longer available, Wilson gets her touches but it doesn't have to always go inside to her "at all cost" it seems like!

I'm sure if Holly ever told Diamond to "take over" we might be singing a different tune right now

Reactions: 3 people
Obviously the question asked in the thread is a trick question. Many of us who followed Davis since the ninth grade know her abilities to take over a game. And we followed the drama which was unfortunate for LVs and her IMO. She is now playing in a system and I remember when she and Gray transferred we all knew SC had their best team of all-time.

Great players excel on the top stage. And up to know she is.

So trashy.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm sure if Holly ever told Diamond to "take over" we might be singing a different tune right now

In the 2nd round loss to Louisville, DD played 29 minutes, scored 15 points on 3/12 shooting (0/3 from three), grabbed 3 rebounds and 1 assist.

It's common sense that all players need to take over in the tournament and play their best in order to win. Kaela played her best when it mattered this season and DD didn't. End of story.

I can't wait until she just declares so we can all watch DD score 30 and dish out 10 assists each game in the WNBA (since she'll finally be playing with elite players).

In the 2nd round loss to Louisville, DD played 29 minutes, scored 15 points on 3/12 shooting (0/3 from three), grabbed 3 rebounds and 1 assist.

It's common sense that all players need to take over in the tournament and play their best in order to win. Kaela played her best when it mattered this season and DD didn't. End of story.

I can't wait until she just declares so we can all watch DD score 30 and dish out 10 assists each game in the WNBA (since she'll finally be playing with elite players).

Diamond is still a lot better than kaela. Kaela avg like 3 rebounds & 1 assist and her defense is very mediocre. End of story.

Well let's see. Diamond was NFOY, first team All-SEC. Kaela is a great player ... nothing really worth noting in terms of accolades.

I would take Diamond if for nothing else than the fact that I wouldn't have to deal with Kendra's loony toon psychotic self.

So trashy.

And that quote is completely wrong on their part anyway. Kaela has *not* been doing this her whole life. Kaela's main downfall most of her career is her mentality. She likes to blend in far too much given her talent level. Kendra moved Kaela to Buford because she couldn't handle the fact that Diamond was getting the spotlight over Kaela. Kaela went to Buford -- a much smaller school -- and had a decent career but never flourished. Diamond flourished into the NPOY and the clearly better player by the time they graduated HS and entered college. Ironically the move helped Diamond much more than it did Kaela. Kendra has always been jealous of Kaela not being the star. She went to three different high schools and has gone to two different colleges.

Regardless, good for her for stepping up with Coates out, if for nothing else than the sake of Dawn not having to hear Kendra in her ear whining. -- She was throwing major shade at SC's staff after they lost to Tennessee. But it's easier to flourish when you have a first team AA teammate in Wilson taking up most of the defense's attention, not to mention a proven scorer in Alisha Gray on your team. She has, by far, the better supporting cast in terms of scoring. Give me Wilson and Gray over Russell and Nared anyday. TBH, there is zero reason she shouldn't have been performing like this from day 1 for SC.

VN Store

Back