David Letterman: A Mean Guy

Letterman is an icon. Leno had funny moments. Conan and Kimmel are the 2 funniest guys right now on late night. Fallon just isn't funny.

I'll be interested to see how Colbert does when he's not playing a character.

There is truly an art to being a comedian and a great interviewer.
Carson was the master. Many don't know the mutual admiration and respect these hosts have for each other. Lettermen idolized Carson and Johnny was personally sending jokes to Letterman for his show, long after his retirement.
Conan gave a great tribute to Dave the other night and basically said Dave saved his career by appearing on his show when he took over the slot.

All of these guys have their own appeal. I don't care for Leno, but I certainly can see the guy can deliver a joke and prepare and execute an interview. There is a lot more to that than most will ever know. It's like those who can't distinguish the genius of John Ward from the bumbling Bob Kesling. Not everyone "gets it." For me, Letterman hit his prime when I was a teenager in the 80s and his brand of wit was fresh. The 12:30 time slot is a killer and if you don't believe it, I'd dare anyone to tell me who is succeeding at that time slot now?
Funny that those are the same reasons I prefer Conan over Letterman for last 10 years.

Reactions: 1 person
There is truly an art to being a comedian and a great interviewer.
Carson was the master. Many don't know the mutual admiration and respect these hosts have for each other. Lettermen idolized Carson and Johnny was personally sending jokes to Letterman for his show, long after his retirement.
Conan gave a great tribute to Dave the other night and basically said Dave saved his career by appearing on his show when he took over the slot.

All of these guys have their own appeal. I don't care for Leno, but I certainly can see the guy can deliver a joke and prepare and execute an interview. There is a lot more to that than most will ever know. It's like those who can't distinguish the genius of John Ward from the bumbling Bob Kesling. Not everyone "gets it." For me, Letterman hit his prime when I was a teenager in the 80s and his brand of wit was fresh. The 12:30 time slot is a killer and if you don't believe it, I'd dare anyone to tell me who is succeeding at that time slot now?
Funny that those are the same reasons I prefer Conan over Letterman for last 10 years.

I loved Conan during the writer's strike when he was writing his own show. He also wrote some of the best Simpson's episodes.

Leno was a comedian. Letterman was a con. He had good writers. I was never a Letterman fan and I like Leno. Fallon has all of them beat.

Maybe I am old, but I really don't think Fallon is all that interesting. His humor isn't that sophisticated and I really don't see much innovation. It's time relevant, but other than that, not much really.

I miss Carson. Letterman wasn't funny after 1985. Leno had his moments.

Last edited:
Leno's newspaper clips were pretty funny, but that's about it (and people mailed them in so its not like he had to be creative).

Jaywalking was... funny. In a sad sort of way. I guess liberals hated that bit because it showed the world how retarded they are.

Last edited:
Maybe I am old, but I really don't think Fallon is all that interesting. His humor isn't that sophisticated and I really don't see much innovation. It's time relevant, but other than that, not much really.

I miss Carson. Letterman wasn't funny after 1985. Leno had his moments.

:thumbsup: imo, I agree w/this totally. Letterman became a big liberal left-wing hack after 9/11. He bashed President Bush so much in the 2000's it was sick at times. This is not counting all the times he was hating on Palin & attacking her family.

That idiot isn't funny either.

Yeah, never really gotten Stewart's humor. Kind of a crass guy too. If your humor is ALWAYS at the expense of others then you're not funny. That's the reason Carson was so funny. Always self deprecating except when he shot barbs at McMann.

I will say this of Fallon... he has, hands down, the greatest Neil Young impersonation that I've ever seen.

I will say this of Fallon... he has, hands down, the greatest Neil Young impersonation that I've ever seen.

No one gives a flip about Neil Young. He's one of those guys that people "like" so they can seem cool. That being said, Fallon is really good at doing impressions. His audition for SNL is amazing.

Reactions: 3 people
No one gives a flip about Neil Young. He's one of those guys that people "like" so they can seem cool. That being said, Fallon is really good at doing impressions. His audition for SNL is amazing.

Wtf are you talking about?

Reactions: 3 people
I actually like Neil Young, and my wife thinks I'm nuts. It can't be any cool factor, because I believe that this is the first time I ever told anyone (other than my wife) that I like him.

I actually like Neil Young, and my wife thinks I'm nuts. It can't be any cool factor, because I believe that this is the first time I ever told anyone (other than my wife) that I like him.

Crappay vovoice.pretty good songwriter.

4 way street by him and the boys us one of the best albums ever recorded IMO...it's my dad's favorite hands down.

Crappay vovoice.pretty good songwriter.

4 way street by him and the boys us one of the best albums ever recorded IMO...it's my dad's favorite hands down.

Almost all my older male relatives love Neil Young. Grew up hearing him all the time.

He's kind of like Bob Dylan-great writer of songs, good singer not great singer.

He's several notches below Dylan as a songwriter, but a better singer.

More of Dylan's songs have been re-recorded by others if that is your measure but Young has written a lot of damn good songs.

But, I'd agree with you probably a notch or two below Dylan in total production of great songs. Dylan was very prodigious.

VN Store

Back