Dave Serrano resigns

It seems clear to me from the reports I have seen Serrano had the option to come back next year. Currie just wasn't going to promise him more.

Reports from who? I haven't seen or heard that anywhere.

There is no way Currie was going to offer another 1 year extension. No way.

Reactions: 1 person
Reports from who? I haven't seen or heard that anywhere.

There is no way Currie was going to offer another 1 year extension. No way.

I'm pretty sure Currie did offer another 1 year deal. I can't remember where I saw it.

It seems clear to me from the reports I have seen Serrano had the option to come back next year. Currie just wasn't going to promise him more.

I wasn't going to mention it but I heard the same thing. In fact, I heard he was offered a one year deal but he countered with a request for a 3-4 year extension.

Also, heard that because Serrano resigned (not fired), there are more restrictions on players if they want to transfer out. Anyone know if this is true?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Currie did offer another 1 year deal. I can't remember where I saw it.

I listened to the interview with Serrano yesterday on WNML, I have read the KNS story - nothing at all about an offer of a one year extension.

Just as Hart did him no favor by giving him a one year extension last year, Currie wouldn't have been doing Serrano a solid by doing it this time around, either. Just makes no sense. Either he had to have a multi year contract or move on. Currie isn't dumb.

I listened to the interview with Serrano yesterday on WNML, I have read the KNS story - nothing at all about an offer of a one year extension.

Just as Hart did him no favor by giving him a one year extension last year, Currie wouldn't have been doing Serrano a solid by doing it this time around, either. Just makes no sense. Either he had to have a multi year contract or move on. Currie isn't dumb.

Listen again. CDS said they talked about a multi year deal. I don't recall the exact words but he said something to the effect that once he knew it was off the table he realized it was best for the program he step away

I wasn't going to mention it but I heard the same thing. In fact, I heard he was offered a one year deal but he countered with a request for a 3-4 year extension.

Also, heard that because Serrano resigned (not fired), there are more restrictions on players if they want to transfer out. Anyone know if this is true?

No idea on that.

Seriously? You're actually suggesting that Serrano wanted a multi-year extension and resigned because he was offered only one year?

Why would any coach in this situation leave a good job with no replacement gig on the immediate horizon and knowing his marketability is at its lowest point of his career?

I'm sure it would be convenient for some to believe he had a choice, but it doesn't add up.

The only leverage CDS had was to request an opportunity to resign gracefully with hugs and kisses all around instead of waiting to be fired.

No other explanation makes sense.

It absolutely is not true.

NCAA commitments are to schools, not coaches.

A coaching change does not constitute a hardship that would warrant relaxing the year in residence requirement if they transfer to another D1 school. Firing, resigning, retiring, dying--it makes no difference.

And the NLI's signed by the incoming class are also binding. (Though the freshmen can sign with a JUCO and later transfer with no requirement to sit out a year.)

Seriously? You're actually suggesting that Serrano wanted a multi-year extension and resigned because he was offered only one year?

Why would any coach in this situation leave a good job with no replacement gig on the immediate horizon and knowing his marketability is at its lowest point of his career?

I'm sure it would be convenient for some to believe he had a choice, but it doesn't add up.

The only leverage CDS had was to request an opportunity to resign gracefully with hugs and kisses all around instead of waiting to be fired.

I think he was just Beaten down so bad he wanted out. Think about how tough it had to be on him with Kyle. I believe he could have come back with another 1 year extension.

It absolutely is not true.

NCAA commitments are to schools, not coaches.

A coaching change does not constitute a hardship that would warrant relaxing the year in residence requirement if they transfer to another D1 school. Firing, resigning, retiring, dying--it makes no difference.

And the NLI's signed by the incoming class are also binding. (Though the freshmen can sign with a JUCO and later transfer with no requirement to sit out a year.)

Resigning might make a signee less likely to get out of an NLi. That is the only thing I can think of.

I think he was just Beaten down so bad he wanted out. Think about how tough it had to be on him with Kyle. I believe he could have come back with another 1 year extension.

This, it is not that hard to fathom, he has had a rough year, he knows how hard it has been to sell the program with a one-year deal from this past season, and the guy has made enough money that he could easily say without a multi-year extension he is going to step away spend some time with his son and wait for something that fits to come along.

I have been told that Serrano was angling for a multi year deal, but nothing about his being offered any new deal - one year or otherwise. That just makes zero sense. No, check that - less than zero sense.

Last edited:
I agree but school administrators are more likely to let players out of NLIs if they fired the coach IMO.

That's not how it happens in college baseball.

From the school's perspective, no good can come of releasing athletes from their NLI's because only the best players will accept the releases and it's too late to find replacements.

The new coach will want the opportunity to evaluate the new class for himself. If he's like most coaches, he'll wash out all but the studs in a year or two, but he does want them available to bridge the gap until his own recruits arrive.

CDS did the same thing, cutting ties with most of CTR's last class after his first year and most of the rest after the second with only Will Maddox becoming part of his long term plan. That's the normal transition pattern.

All the new recruits have the option of going to a JUCO if they don't want to be the new coach's red-haired stepchildren, and the top players may have the option to go pro. But it would serve no institutional interest to release them and let the best ones sign with other D1 schools right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
And in other UT coaching news, Chris Woodruff has been selected as the new UT men's tennis coach.

The Virginia Tech job just opened. Read a Kendall Rogers tweet that Dave Serrano is a name to keep an eye on. Very strong interest there.

Dave was super classy yesterday with John Wilkerson and Jimmy Hyams yesterday. I hope he finds success at his next stop.

Not sure if Alabama plays at Tennessee next season, but if they do it looks like Coach Serrano will be making more mound visits at LNS.

VN Store

Back