Dave Serrano resigns

I'm liking AD JC more every day. If he continues cleaning house for sub par, mediocre, failing results, especially regarding men's and women's basketball, softball and football, I will be one happy alum / supporter. Keep it up John!

We have a women's football team? I gotz to get out more!

Reactions: 1 person
I see and I understand...to me the absolute worst are the post game interview questions. Every now and again there is a situation that deserves to be asked about, whether he actually answers or not. For instance, last night...Where has Benito Santiago been?

I hate it...because I watch Tim Corbin, Chad Holbrook, Paul Mainieri, etc...

But this is the stone cold truth...there are not enough people that care about Tennessee Baseball and that allows them to get off the hook. Not just the coach, but even Wilkerson and whatever student reporter, SID they wheel out there to do their two minute BS.

However, all that said...there was this from the UT Release...

He said the same today on the radio, he knows the deal and it's all on him. He's never shied away from it that I've heard. In fact Hyams gave him a couple of chances to take a swing or a shot at the shortcomings of the job we all talk about and he just would not take the bait.

The people that spin the stuff over there, that's there job. I agree it could be little more genuine, but it's their job to keep a positive spin. I'm with you that it seems fake as all get out, so I just don't read that stuff much...the post games are unbearable enough.

PS. The summer coverage is actually worse, it's a retweet or straight up stats, even TEAM USA...they literally don't watch any games...because they don't care.

Enough care, in the form of showing up, when we're winning. During the 2005 CWS run, the crowds slowly grew bigger and bigger as the wins piled up and the weather warmed. It peeved me somewhat that fellow students jumped on in late April-early May, when there was a core of us you'd see every game but bandwagoness aside, some of the Friday night crowds got electric. But that was a fun team to watch as well. Iorg, Headley, JP, Edmundson all had power and you knew fireworks could happen anytime and with Hocheaver and Adkins on the mound B2B nights you were going to see great pitching. There's not been a team that well-rounded since.

The problem is that it sugar coats so much that it hides the truth that he had to go because he didn't do what coaches are paid to do--win games, contend in the conference, make or host a regional and do some damage in the postseason.

He had 6 top 20 recruiting classes in a row, had 14 drafted players including 2 first rounders, and couldn't get out of the SEC basement. Yet they publish a press release that sounds like a nomination for Coach of the Year.

It's great that the players are doing well in class but that should be ops normal, not the crowning achievement of a coach's tenure.

It's the same "focus on the positive and ignore the context" the UT sports information staff gives all the time, such as when we lose a game and the press release is about positive individual accomplishments that didn't affect the outcome. If the offense sputters, the headline will be how well Hunter Martin threw. If the pitching collapsed, they'll write about Moberg and Rodgers' hitting. Never tell the story of the game when we lose.

It gets old.

Come on. He's a gentleman and he stepped down gracefully. You want another pound of flesh immediately in the press?

Reactions: 5 people
He said on the radio that he told Dave Hart, last year at the time of signing the one year deal, if he didn't think the program had taken a step forward after this year, he would step down on his own.

I'm liking AD JC more every day. If he continues cleaning house for sub par, mediocre, failing results, especially regarding men's and women's basketball, softball and football, I will be one happy alum / supporter. Keep it up John!

whats wrong with the softball team they are top 10.mens basketball gonna be lots better this year as well as the football team.

HCDS thank you for everything you have contributed to the Tennessee baseball program. I was very excited about the opportunity of you leading our baseball program and will never regret supporting you everyday while leading our baseball program. Unfortunately it didn't pan out like things do sometimes in life and we are always faced with obstacles that get in our way. I know you have had a successful past and there will be more in the future. I know you would probably change some of your decisions in the past that could have resulted in more wins or anything of that nature. Making tough decisions that you wish you could go back and change are a part of life in everything including coaching. I wish you and your family the very best of luck. I know your next coaching contract will be at a very lucky institution to have your presence. Thank you again and God Bless

Reactions: 6 people
Come on. He's a gentleman and he stepped down gracefully. You want another pound of flesh immediately in the press?

Completely agree with you. Most on here got what they wanted with CDS moving on....not sure what is accomplished with a negative release for the purpose of piling on.

Reactions: 2 people
Enough care, in the form of showing up, when we're winning. During the 2005 CWS run, the crowds slowly grew bigger and bigger as the wins piled up and the weather warmed. It peeved me somewhat that fellow students jumped on in late April-early May, when there was a core of us you'd see every game but bandwagoness aside, some of the Friday night crowds got electric. But that was a fun team to watch as well. Iorg, Headley, JP, Edmundson all had power and you knew fireworks could happen anytime and with Hocheaver and Adkins on the mound B2B nights you were going to see great pitching. There's not been a team that well-rounded since.

As CDS said today, every now and then you get a nucleus of players that get it going, that bring excitement...what you are describing is over a decade ago. As he also said the landscape of SEC baseball has changed. I agree with him on that and will say what he would not...Tennessee hasn't kept up and they have not jumped in with both feet.

South Carolina isn't having the year they expected and the natives are restless. They expect to go to a regional every year. The UTAD knows that is not the expectation here and they treat it and those of us who follow the team accordingly.

Apathy has set in here. Maybe a new coach will stoke the fire, but if the UTAD doesn't have a vision, if they don't get caught up with the rest of the league, it won't matter.

Whether it's coming to the realization that we have to recruit nationally and funds are needed, whether it's keeping up with the Jones' as it pertains to facilities, whether it's first class travel, promotions, televising the dang games, permanent structures for the Porch and The LF Line, figuring a way to sink more money into grant and aid, etc...

It can be done, but they have to want to do it. There's no difference between where the baseball program is right now and where the Track Program was before Beth Alford Sullivan...we are that bad and it's going to take the right coach and an investment from the UTAD to pull us out of it.

Reactions: 4 people
His contract might run for another month.

Doesn't matter. Announcing it now let's potential recruits know the change is coming, and they can handle it as classy as possible. Whoever they hire needs to be solid enough to retain players and hit the ground running on recruiting. With the season on the verge of ending, no point in waiting. And it gives fans who liked Serrano a chance to give him a respectful sendoff.

Really like Dave, was pulling for him. He tutored two of my sons back when he was the pitching coach for Rod. If he couldn't put this program where it needed to be I wonder if anyone can. There has to be other factors that hindered him.

Reactions: 6 people
Doesn't matter. Announcing it now let's potential recruits know the change is coming, and they can handle it as classy as possible. Whoever they hire needs to be solid enough to retain players and hit the ground running on recruiting. With the season on the verge of ending, no point in waiting. And it gives fans who liked Serrano a chance to give him a respectful sendoff.

Announcing now makes us the first SEC/ACC job known to be open. That's a good thing.

I was pointing out to Orangegrass that resigning mattered. He'd still be the coach until his contract expired if neither party took action... therefore he might have technically been the coach for another month. Resigning allows Tennessee to hire a new coach immediately.

Really like Dave, was pulling for him. He tutored two of my sons back when he was the pitching coach for Rod. If he couldn't put this program where it needed to be I wonder if anyone can. There has to be other factors that hindered him.

Serrano will be successful wherever he goes. His failure here is really baffling. Took two teams to Omaha.

Need to hire Alan Cockrell, former Vol QB/Baseball player, coach with Rockies and Current Yankees hitting coach. He's probably more than ready to jettison out of the Big Apple for friendlier confines!

He can get the Vols hitting again to go with promising young pitchers.

I met the guy when he was coaching the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at the Pueblo Zoo of all places...in the Spring of 1998 where we talked about the Vols and that turned out to be a magical season!

Just Hire the Dude!!!

Obviously you havent followed the Yankees so far this season

It isn't about wanting a pound of flesh.

It's about not wanting a big dollop of b.s. on top of what should be a straightforward announcement.

A normal press release for a coach who resigns when he has no choice would simply say the AD accepted the resignation, thanks the coach for his hard work, wishes him well, and has begun a search for a replacement. Four or five sentences max. Keep it dignified. Don't pretend it's something other than what it is.

Blowing a big smokescreen about academic performance and draft picks and ranked recruiting classes to pretend CDS had a successful run here when he didn't is an insult to our intelligence.

I was also annoyed to see the college baseball press, which consistently reflected CDS's unwarranted optimism about his teams, offer the talking point that he left behind a solid core of players and the Vols might start winning again real soon. That flies in the face of the fact that the major contributors to a weak offense are leaving and we'll have an extremely young lineup next year.

By planting that seed, it will look like the new guy's fault if next year's lineup consisting mostly of underclassmen doesn't perform next season, but CDS will get the credit for anything that goes right.

Aaron Fitt‏Verified account @aaronfitt 26m26 minutes ago
More
Aaron Fitt Retweeted Kendall Rogers
Serrano still has plenty of good coaching days ahead of him. Whoever gets that job will win quicker than you think; really good young core.

...back to Cali...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

I think this was predictable. Just because a person came up through the ranks under a successful program, the insinuation is that they will have success once they are given the reins. More often than most, that is not the case.

And before folks start saying "let's get Delmonico back, let's get Delmonico back..." that is not a good move. Coaches have to smooze the donors.

His replacement was a joke. I knew all of his players and I knew him just like they did. He was a bully, more of a drill instructor than a coach.

If Tennessee wants to win, it has to be willing to pay the big bucks to get a winning coach.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Hello Burger, Serrano's resignation wasn't surprising to me, and I don't think because he took two teams to Omaha figures in his Tennessee situation. I know the program and the players very well.

When Tennessee fired Delmonico, the coaching skills of the coach they hired to replace him were sub-par, and as a result, the other teams in the league (notably Vandy, Florida) got the jump on great players, and were able to win with them.

The result was that future great players went off to those other schools and didn't give Tennessee a second thought, once Serrano came on board. He may have been the best recruiter and had two teams at Omaha in his background, but in the real world, the winning teams were elsewhere in the league. Recruits want to go to winning teams, and the other teams had the recruiting and winning momentum over the years.

As CDS said today, every now and then you get a nucleus of players that get it going, that bring excitement...what you are describing is over a decade ago. As he also said the landscape of SEC baseball has changed. I agree with him on that and will say what he would not...Tennessee hasn't kept up and they have not jumped in with both feet.

South Carolina isn't having the year they expected and the natives are restless. They expect to go to a regional every year. The UTAD knows that is not the expectation here and they treat it and those of us who follow the team accordingly.

Apathy has set in here. Maybe a new coach will stoke the fire, but if the UTAD doesn't have a vision, if they don't get caught up with the rest of the league, it won't matter.

Whether it's coming to the realization that we have to recruit nationally and funds are needed, whether it's keeping up with the Jones' as it pertains to facilities, whether it's first class travel, promotions, televising the dang games, permanent structures for the Porch and The LF Line, figuring a way to sink more money into grant and aid, etc...

and it's going to take the right coach and an investment from the UTAD to pull us out of it.

and fans that care (many fans) and alum money (much money) warmer, dryer Feb., March mountain weather, better everything. Tough to compete with the likes of La. Fla. Miss. SC. Feb. March weather to develop baseball players regardless of how much talent they have. Much less develop a fan base that is tough enough to show up in arctic wear..

and fans that care (many fans) and alum money (much money) warmer, dryer Feb., March mountain weather, better everything. Tough to compete with the likes of La. Fla. Miss. SC. Feb. March weather to develop baseball players regardless of how much talent they have. Much less develop a fan base that is tough enough to show up in arctic wear..

UofL, UNC, UVA etc haven't had a problem with the weather while competing in a league with multiple deep south schools; schools with rich baseball traditions at that. UofL is in position to win the ACC for the 3rd year in a row, in their 3rd year in the conference. They took a Midwest dominant roster and waltzed into the heart of baseball country and took over the league.

Huh? No contract and no way in hell any AD re-signs Serrano. Nothingediocre about his record. it was terrible. This was a layup. Who he hires determines what kind of AD.

Huh? No contract and no way in hell any AD re-signs Serrano. Nothingediocre about his record. it was terrible. This was a layup. Who he hires determines what kind of AD.

It seems clear to me from the reports I have seen Serrano had the option to come back next year. Currie just wasn't going to promise him more.

VN Store

Back