Dane Bradshaw: 'Donnie has done an unbelievable job'

It really is a shame. One of our best and toughest players got called a tulip last year. He's now in the league making 6 figures. He was constantly doubted by our own fans and many said he would never sniff the NBA. He started his first NBA game the other night, while many stated that he would be learning a new language this year playing overseas. Sorry you have to read some of this stuff about your own family. Just know the majority of the fans appreciate what these guys go through everyday to play for UT!

I really appreciate the positive feedback! I will be ok! I am like AD, A TOUGH COOKIE!!!:punch_bag:

. To make the blanket that he would have won a championship with last years squad because you like what you see this year is not based on anything. You don't like Zo he can't coach but you're excited about CDT therefore he would have done XYZ. You have nothing to support that argument.[/QUOTE]
Here's what I have to support it. We had a coach who 99.99% refused to use a zone defense to help him win ball games! ANY coach who cannot use a zone defense effectively cannot coach, PERIOD!

. To make the blanket that he would have won a championship with last years squad because you like what you see this year is not based on anything. You don't like Zo he can't coach but you're excited about CDT therefore he would have done XYZ. You have nothing to support that argument.
Here's what I have to support it. We had a coach who 99.99% refused to use a zone defense to help him win ball games! ANY coach who cannot use a zone defense effectively cannot coach, PERIOD![/QUOTE]

And back to the bizzare.
Doing well for a while, you were.

. To make the blanket that he would have won a championship with last years squad because you like what you see this year is not based on anything. You don't like Zo he can't coach but you're excited about CDT therefore he would have done XYZ. You have nothing to support that argument.
Here's what I have to support it. We had a coach who 99.99% refused to use a zone defense to help him win ball games! ANY coach who cannot use a zone defense effectively cannot coach, PERIOD![/QUOTE]

That's not true at all....a coach uses what he feels comfortable with....I never understood the big deal about Zo using a zone.

LEFTOVERS are things remaining after the rest has been used or consumed. Wrong.... for some of these young men. Some of these young men had other offers, might not have been in the SEC, but they had other offers on the table. It wasn't like they had no one recruiting them. But hey, I expect some of these NAYSAYERS to talk down about these young men who are bringing entertainment and MONEY to their school. I just cant wrap my mind around being so negative about these young men! These men go out every game, I MEAN EVERY game, and GIVE THEIR ALL FOR UT BUT PPL CALL THEM LEFTOVERS or whatever else they can think of to degrade these guys!

Don't be so sensitive.....this a message board where people are suppose to give honest opinions.....both good and bad......leftovers does not have to be the negative term that u take it to be.....every one of our guys are leftovers and overlooked to a degree. Mostella was overlooked bc of grades....Punter bc his coach left at his first choice.....D Baulkman was not that highly ranked juco committed to a smaller school....T Owens very slim big that was committed to a smaller school....W Carmichael was an undersized big that was not highly thought of....J McGee was an underrated big that was being overlooked by bigger schools. The proof is that they were picked near the bottom of the SEC.....I think all of us are excited that they are proven the prognosticators wrong....We are becoming big fans of the guys.

Bobby Knight and almost every coach in his coaching tree never used the zone defense. Including Don DeVoe. Yeah, they knew nothing about coaching.

I believe Pat Summitt used the man to man most the time also, but what did she know?

I believe Pat Summitt used the man to man most the time also, but what did she know?
You are talking blooming apples and oranges. Every single coach you mention used the man-to-man as their primary defense but they knew how to use the zone effectively and did use the zone to help them win ball games. Martin did not how to do that. That makes him a sub-standard coach in my opinion. Most coaches in the SEC use the man-to-man primarily but they knew how to throw in the zone to hand a bunch of losses to his teams. He was incapable of returning the favor thus his perpetual struggle to get UT into the NCAA tourney. If you think differently, more power to you.

If they're 1st and 2nd team SEC then Zo coached up his players and deserves credit for that. It's ok to dislike his coaching style and demeanor on the court. What's wrong and not true is when fans downplay his abilities after the run they made. Some fans have so much hatred for this man that they find every way possible to not praise him for any of his accomplishments. For a fan to take credit for their success because they signed a petition borders on insanity. Hate is an amazing manipulator and our fan base has more hate for Zo than they do his lying, cheating, adulterous predecessor who people worship like a god. Wow.
PS. Donnie Tyndall has never won a championship nor has he ever reached the sixteen. To make the blanket that he would have won a championship with last years squad because you like what you see this year is not based on anything. You don't like Zo he can't coach but you're excited about CDT therefore he would have done XYZ. You have nothing to support that argument.
Take a deep breath, there. Maybe you should read posts more thoroughly (s-l-o-w-l-y). I stated I supported Zo to the bitter end. Missed that little nugget, didn't ya'. Who said Tyndall would win championships with previous talent? Not I little guy. I didn't say I didn't like Zo...but at the end it ended up that way due to his shallow exit strategy. And you're condemning haters while spewing more hate on this thread than anybody? Take a pill Bill.

Reactions: 2 people
You obviously don't know basketball or you wouldn't be using their draw as an excuse. Not getting to the final four according to you is proof Zo can't Coach because he had talent. Listen to yourself. They got to the tournament with a play in game and Zo coached and they played their way to the sixteen. If getting their was that easy Tyndall would have been there. Oh wait he was in the NIT and lost. Does that make him a bad coach? And he had talent. I'm not the biggest Zo fan since jumping on the Tyndall train but I do have enough sense and the hoops background to know that teams don't make it to the sweet sixteen without good coaching. You obviously are blinded by your hate for Zo that it is beneath you to give credit where it is do.

Did you REALLY just compare the talent in Cuonzo's last year with ANY team Tyndall has coached? Cuonzo had a sure first rounder, a hell of a foreign ball player in Maymon, a tweener NBA player in McRae (who should probably be in the league), and a most likely NBA player in Richardson, who was also playing his best ball at the end. Those four alone should've gotten us into the tourney no sweat, if CM could coach. The fact he got to the Sweet Sixteen was a good draw, luck that Mercer beat Duke, and fortunate that Richardson played better than he ever has.

You can kind of say Richardson's play is on the coach, but realistically its more him as an individual. The other two? Nothing to do with CM as a coach. Unless you want to consider underachieving in the regular season to get in a play in game as "good draw."

We saw more toughness in the come back against ETSU than CCM showed in all his games here.

Here's what I have to support it. We had a coach who 99.99% refused to use a zone defense to help him win ball games! ANY coach who cannot use a zone defense effectively cannot coach, PERIOD!
And back to the bizzare.
Doing well for a while, you were.[/QUOTE]
What I said is 100% true! Every other coach in the nation sometimes has a need to use a zone in combination with his primary defense man-to-man. Name me one well known coach who never uses a zone defense in his defensive scheme. Come on , just one!

The argument doesn't make sense SD.
Can't coach = Doesn't use zone.
In actuality Martin was a young developing coach with 3 years of experience when he came to UT. A hard boiled Keady product of 12 years.
He was incorporating zone into his defense.

Don't be so sensitive.....this a message board where people are suppose to give honest opinions.....both good and bad......leftovers does not have to be the negative term that u take it to be.....every one of our guys are leftovers and overlooked to a degree. Mostella was overlooked bc of grades....Punter bc his coach left at his first choice.....D Baulkman was not that highly ranked juco committed to a smaller school....T Owens very slim big that was committed to a smaller school....W Carmichael was an undersized big that was not highly thought of....J McGee was an underrated big that was being overlooked by bigger schools. The proof is that they were picked near the bottom of the SEC.....I think all of us are excited that they are proven the prognosticators wrong....We are becoming big fans of the guys.

I got an idea about the message board being a place to express your honest opinion.... That's what I did! 👍👍✌👌 Go Vols!!

Reactions: 4 people
The argument doesn't make sense SD.
Can't coach = Doesn't use zone.
In actuality Martin was a young developing coach with 3 years of experience when he came to UT. A hard boiled Keady product of 12 years.
He was incorporating zone into his defense.

I agree and if it were coming from anybody else I would really be looking forward to a response from this.

FSU beat Florida.

Actually, Florida beat Florida against FSU, a Florida player accidentally tipped in the winning basket for FSU near the end of the game to give FSU a 2 point win.

It was a very odd ending to a say the. Least!

Did you REALLY just compare the talent in Cuonzo's last year with ANY team Tyndall has coached? Cuonzo had a sure first rounder, a hell of a foreign ball player in Maymon, a tweener NBA player in McRae (who should probably be in the league), and a most likely NBA player in Richardson, who was also playing his best ball at the end. Those four alone should've gotten us into the tourney no sweat, if CM could coach. The fact he got to the Sweet Sixteen was a good draw, luck that Mercer beat Duke, and fortunate that Richardson played better than he ever has.

You can kind of say Richardson's play is on the coach, but realistically its more him as an individual. The other two? Nothing to do with CM as a coach. Unless you want to consider underachieving in the regular season to get in a play in game as "good draw."

We saw more toughness in the come back against ETSU than CCM showed in all his games here.
You guys are amazing. Kind of say Rich's play is on the coach. It pains some of you to give the man any credit. Zo is no Wooden that's for damn sure but he can coach and develop. He developed Stokes offensively and defensively. Stokes didn't just play ball, disregard his coaching and walked into the first round without development from that staff. That's not done in basketball...Ever. Zo's problem from a coaching standpoint was that he tried to mold himself after Gene Keady and refused to change his coaching style until he absolutely had to. 100% man to man in today's game will work but you will have some heartbreaking unnecessary losses. At programs like this one the fan base ain't going. If he had stayed at a smaller school he probably would have developed over time without the pressure UT brings. Instead we witnessed a young coach develop at a school that doesn't want to you take your lumps.

You guys are amazing. Kind of say Rich's play is on the coach. It pains some of you to give the man any credit. Zo is no Wooden that's for damn sure but he can coach and develop. He developed Stokes offensively and defensively. Stokes didn't just play ball, disregard his coaching and walked into the first round without development from that staff. That's not done in basketball...Ever. Zo's problem from a coaching standpoint was that he tried to mold himself after Gene Keady and refused to change his coaching style until he absolutely had to. 100% man to man in today's game will work but you will have some heartbreaking unnecessary losses. At programs like this one the fan base ain't going. If he had stayed at a smaller school he probably would have developed over time without the pressure UT brings. Instead we witnessed a young coach develop at a school that doesn't want to you take your lumps.
The argument that if you don't use zone, you can't coach is ridiculous.
The NBA outlawed the zone from 77-2000.
Who was coaching in the NBA. School teachers?
Oh yeah. apples and oranges again.

You guys are amazing. 100% man to man in today's game will work but you will have some heartbreaking unnecessary losses.
Exactly what I have been trying to say. Best example was the last game against Florida at TBA last year. Down by double digits, they went to 1-3-1 with 10 minutes to go and came back to tie the score with four and a half to go, then unexplicably Zo went back to his bread and butter man-to-man defense and we lost 67-58! That's how well he knew to use the zone defense.

This team made it to the Sweet 16 because:
Jarnell Stokes - 1st team All SEC -2014
Jordan McRae - 1st team All SEC - 2014
Josh Richardson - 1st team defensive All SEC -2014
Jeronne Maymon - 2nd team All SEC - 2012
Coach T would have won the national championship with this team!

Make it stop

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back