Cuonzo Martin resigns, heads to Mizzou

Mizzou Men’s Basketball head coach Cuonzo Martin announced additions to his coaching staff on Wednesday, April 5, with more than 30 years of Division I coaching experience represented between the trio of new Tiger assistant coaches.

Chris Hollender, Cornell Mann and Michael Porter, Sr., have been selected by Martin to assist him in coaching the Black & Gold, starting with the 2017-18 season. Hollender, most recently in the same role at UMKC, spent three seasons coaching in the Southeastern Conference at Mississippi State from 2012-15. Previously at Iowa State from 2011-15, Mann was on staff at Oakland for the 2016-17 campaign. A familiar face to Mizzou Athletics, Porter spent the 2016-17 season coaching at Washington.

In general CCM was a very guarded guy.
He wasn't warm and fuzzy. Bruce was borrowing private planes and was friends with everybody. Remember him painting his chest? Remember Pat singing Rocky Top? Never would have happened without Pearl. Practice facility and TBA facelift also happened due to Pearl.
People forget how significant his impact was. Then in comes Martin. I'd never heard his name until the day he was announced. He never seemed excited or grateful to be here. Sure, the petition was stupid but Martin did nothing to endear himself with the fan base. Distant, and I thought at times aloof. Combine this with who he followed. The privileged Pearl enjoyed were pulled back. Not because he was black. That crap was nonsense. It was because billy big bucks doesn't mind lending you his plane for a recruiting trip, but he might want you to make a cameo at his Christmas party.

Pearl loved schmucking it up, and Martin would not even entertain this stuff.

it was a lot more Pat than Pearl. a lot lot more. the BB practice facility was 100% donor raised and that Pat almost literally went door to door to get the money together.

not hating on Pearl, just clearing that up. :hi:

Reactions: 3 people
I like Cuonzo as a whole but he painted this fanbase as as racist . That was a low blow. The People wanting Pearl wanted him for what he won here not because he was white.

Same. I liked him and wanted him to stay on but I didn't like how he handled the adversity that year, turning it into a "fans turned against us" thing with his team, when we were second in attendance in the league. He couldn't handle criticism when he was barely over .500 Midway through that season with 3 NBA players. He preached toughness but he whined with his team about fans being unhappy with mediocrity. Toughness would have been admitting that he was underperforming and challenging his team to step up. Instead he made fans the villain. Listen to interviews from players that season. They went on that run fueled by the "US against our own fans/the world" schtick instead of "let's not stink anymore" attitude. That, and the way he left along with the ESPN interview is what made me dislike him. The "he's a agood guy" narrative is a bit overplayed IMO. I look forward to us playing his "tough" teams.

Reactions: 1 person
I hated the "BBB" campaign, I might add. I wanted Cuonzo to own it and learn how to get it done. He still hasn't learned. He can recruit and play the underdog/victim card all day though

VN Store

Back