Cuonzo Martin resigns, heads to Mizzou

Say what you want. Each year here he beat preseason expectations. That is the point of a basketball season. You don't worry about individual games. Just results for the season.

How can a season starting unranked but ending a shot away from the Elite Eight be a failure? Too many of you have a football mentality and don't understand basketball is a whole season and tournament sport. No on cares if the end result is good except ignorant fans.

Are people really still trying to act like Tyndall was even near on the level of Zo here? That is hilarious. Tyndall literally played at a historically slow pace with our lowest scoring average in 20 plus years. He couldn't even make the NIT with a All SEC poy candidate in Punter and a NBA player in J Rich. Same expectations as Martin's first year and similar talent but couldn't even make the NIT.

He was mediocre at Cal though.

Reactions: 2 people
The 2 Porter brothers are automatic, Jeremiah Tillman is committed to Illinois and going to ask for release, he's from Zo's hometown East St. Louis.

One porter is 2018. He's a 4* and not a 5*.

Cuonzo making the moves now that people complained about him not making here. His staff couldn't recruit when he was here. First thing he did at Cal was bring in a recruiter. Then that guy gets in trouble so his recruiting dries up. So.... Cuonzo hires the father of a couple top 50 players at his new job.

Say what you want. Each year here he beat preseason expectations. That is the point of a basketball season. You don't worry about individual games. Just results for the season.

How can a season starting unranked but ending a shot away from the Elite Eight be a failure? Too many of you have a football mentality and don't understand basketball is a whole season and tournament sport. No on cares if the end result is good except ignorant fans.

Are people really still trying to act like Tyndall was even near on the level of Zo here? That is hilarious. Tyndall literally played at a historically slow pace with our lowest scoring average in 20 plus years. He couldn't even make the NIT with a All SEC poy candidate in Punter and a NBA player in J Rich. Same expectations as Martin's first year and similar talent but couldn't even make the NIT.

He was mediocre at Cal though.

Cuonzo sucks.

Reactions: 5 people

Cuonzo making the moves now that people complained about him not making here. His staff couldn't recruit when he was here. First thing he did at Cal was bring in a recruiter. Then that guy gets in trouble so his recruiting dries up. So.... Cuonzo hires the father of a couple top 50 players at his new job.

Cuonzo sucks.

He was still getting good recruits. He actually was the favorite to get Jaylen Brown while here before he left. You have a agenda though so...

He did well here. Not as good as Pearl here. Pearl has done worse at Aub bringing in similar talent as Martin at Cal. Way better than Tyndall no question. He and Barnes both beat expectations their first two years. Martin did at least make the NIT though. Zo is not a HOF coach but is ok while still being young and learning.

Last edited:

Jontay is reclassify from 2018 to 2017 and I'm pretty sure I saw a couple analysts say if that happens he will be a 5* in this class

He was still getting good recruits. He actually was the favorite to get Jaylen Brown while here before he left. You have a agenda though so...

He did well here. Not as good as Pearl here. Pearl has done worse at Aub bringing in similar talent as Martin at Cal. Way better than Tyndall no questiuon. He and Barnes both beat expectations their first two years. Martin did at least make the NIT though. Zo is not a HOF coach but is ok while still being young and learning.

I don't have an agenda. I supported the guy for 3 years. He rubbed me wrong with the way he left and then cried to everyone who would listen about how mistreated he was after UT made him a millionaire by hiring him to do a job he wasn't yet equipped for.

I will agree that he is growing and learning as a coach. He's a better coach now than he was when we hired him.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't have an agenda. I supported the guy for 3 years. He rubbed me wrong with the way he left and then cried to everyone who would listen about how mistreated he was after UT made him a millionaire by hiring him to do a job he wasn't yet equipped for.

I will agree that he is growing and learning as a coach. He's a better coach now than he was when we hired him.

These are my sentiments as well. I get upset when people suggest that some didn't support the man when I supported him almost the entire time and didn't like the Petition. However, the Texas A&M game late in the year at College Station really pissed me off. We had much more talent, and he was finding ways to lose. I was glad the team figured it out and made the run. But the future was not looking good once our talent left.

He did well here. Not as good as Pearl here. Pearl has done worse at Aub bringing in similar talent as Martin at Cal. Way better than Tyndall no question. He and Barnes both beat expectations their first two years. Martin did at least make the NIT though. Zo is not a HOF coach but is ok while still being young and learning.

Have you checked out the careers of the guys he had committed.... it was going to get very bad here.... I didn't think he was the answer here bc all I want to do is have a winning program.... I don't care who the coach is.

So Arkansas has Missouri's old coach, Missouri has Tennessee's old coach....should we be getting ready for a John Pelphrey hire in the next few years?

Auburn has Tennessee's old coach, too.
Former UT coaches are popular around the SEC as well as in East Tennessee right now.

These are my sentiments as well. I get upset when people suggest that some didn't support the man when I supported him almost the entire time and didn't like the Petition. However, the Texas A&M game late in the year at College Station really pissed me off. We had much more talent, and he was finding ways to lose. I was glad the team figured it out and made the run. But the future was not looking good once our talent left.

People who like to badmouth Tennessee and the fanbase always use revisionist history when talking about Cuonzo.

They act like we started the petition during the sweet 16 run and ran him off after the run.

Fact is that team was left for dead after the Texas A&M game and that petition ignited the fire that led to the run. Fans had made up their mind on him after giving tremendous support to him and his team for 3 years. The miracle run and the timing of events is always misrepresented by the Zo lovers.

Reactions: 4 people
Well they must have went with the 7 yr contract knowing he's a job hopper and when he bounces after 3 years he will be stuck paying them a good chunk.

I'll always remember Cuonzo as the coach who thought it best to throw the ball in to our center on our last possession in the NCAA game against Michigan while talented slashers Richardson and McCrae stood idle, watching us lose the ball and the game. That's the brilliant tactical thinking he'll be bringing to Missouri--and let's not forget his electric personality.

Reactions: 3 people
I'll always remember Cuonzo as the coach who thought it best to throw the ball in to our center on our last possession in the NCAA game against Michigan while talented slashers Richardson and McCrae stood idle, watching us lose the ball and the game. That's the brilliant tactical thinking he'll be bringing to Missouri--and let's not forget his electric personality.

Again you need to watch the play again; the play was Stokes to draw a double team (which he did) and Jordan was coming in wide open at the top of the key. Stokes was called for terrible charge before anything could happen.

Spoken like a true armchair fan that has never played or coached. It was a great call. We had either Stokes with the score/draw the foul or kick out to the open man. The refs made a bad call.

Again you need to watch the play again; the play was Stokes to draw a double team (which he did) and Jordan was coming in wide open at the top of the key. Stokes was called for terrible charge before anything could happen.

I just watched the highlight. Still don't like the call, but Stokes doesn't need to face up and put that on the floor. That wasn't his strength. If you want him to draw the double team, then he needed to back down. By you suggesting the previous poster to watch the play, I watched the 7 minute highlights from the Vol Network. What struck me was the number of times that McRae and Richardson beat their men to the basket. There were 9.6 seconds left when we had the ball, and there was plenty of time to get a pick and roll with McRae or Richardson to create and get to the basket or take Richardson's beautiful midrange shot. JMO.

He also left Maymon on a more athletic 4, who killed us on the offensive end.

I think people forget how fortunate we were with the tourney matchups too. Almost lose to Iowa in the play-in game, beat a extremely overmatched UMass team who's best player was like 5'7 and was way overseeded, then played Mercer when Duke choked as they do so much.

I don't know, I always thought he caught a lucky hand there.

I think people forget how fortunate we were with the tourney matchups too. Almost lose to Iowa in the play-in game, beat a extremely overmatched UMass team who's best player was like 5'7 and was way overseeded, then played Mercer when Duke choked as they do so much.

I don't know, I always thought he caught a lucky hand there.

You play who is put before you; Pearl's Elite Eight team benefitted from #3 seed Georgetown being upset and us getting Ohio.

Mizzou basketball is pretty much in the same shape as TN football when Butch was hired. They are so desperate that they'll top dollar for a mediocre coach.

One sentence from the article sums it all up: "Professionally, Cuonzo Martin is an average basketball coach."
Missouri's about to learn that lesson.
The hard way.

to pass the ball to Stokes. Let Stokes, or someone else, or multiple guys, pick for Richardson or McCrae--get one of those guys the ball. They are your playmakers. I forget how much time was left--but it was very little: 9 seconds or so? And Stokes was in the process of fumbling the ball away just before he got called for the charge. It was a stupid play.

to pass the ball to Stokes. Let Stokes, or someone else, or multiple guys, pick for Richardson or McCrae--get one of those guys the ball. They are your playmakers. I forget how much time was left--but it was very little: 9 seconds or so? And Stokes was in the process of fumbling the ball away just before he got called for the charge. It was a stupid play.

Doesn't matter, you'd criticize whatever play was called if it didn't work; and if it did work you'd probably either say nothing or claim we got lucky.

Not to mention, again, it was a bullsh** charge call, and if anything, Stokes was the one fouled.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back