Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Thanks. Just used my iron skillet that we’ve had for a decade for the first time last night to sear steaks after cooking them Sous vide. The skillet was given to us already used and already seasoned. I’m ready to make some cornbread in it now.

Boom!

Thanks for giving the cornbread a try.

I've used ground chicken and turkey before in chili. They add a little sweetness compared to beef.

Oh I’ve been doing that awhile. I don’t always go the cast iron route, but it’s best

Reactions: 1 person
Well the only authentic Mexican restaurant around me that had Chile Rellenos closed down -- is there an easy way to make them ?

Yes, Get you a Mexican woman to make them for you.

Seriously, if you're used to really good authentic, then no, not an easy way. Its time consuming.

I wouldnt But, you can....

Use canned chilies and canned tomatoes instead of fresh and roasted. Won't be the same though.

The batter and sauce are key. Chupa taught me a trick for the sauce. Roasted tortilla for flavor and texture, its puréed with the tomatoes. Boon!

Reactions: Souce and 508mikey
Ah... The Chile Rellenos in Las Cruces, NM were all that and a cold beer. Inexpensive, too. Spoiled me.

There was one restaurant in the Peachtree Hills neighborhood which offered authentic Chile Rellenos, Dos Amigos. It burned down in ~the early 90s.

[sigh]

Honestly, why do so many restaurants offer up "chile rellenos" and "tamales" which are nothing like the authentic items? It's a crime, I tell you...

Honestly, why do so many restaurants offer up "chile rellenos" and "tamales" which are nothing like the authentic items? It's a crime, I tell you...

I have Mexican friends at work who bring homemade stuff and share. It makes the good restaurant look bad. I love homemade, from them, Mexican food.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, Get you a Mexican woman to make them for you.

Seriously, if you're used to really good authentic, then no, not an easy way. Its time consuming.

I wouldnt But, you can....

Use canned chilies and canned tomatoes instead of fresh and roasted. Won't be the same though.

The batter and sauce are key. Chupa taught me a trick for the sauce. Roasted tortilla for flavor and texture, its puréed with the tomatoes. Boon!

the ones I had didnt have a batter - if you mean fried ?

so not authentic after all ?

Sorry Mikey, I was just being a smartass.

I would guess they were battered and fried, just like they should be, and you just weren't aware because they did it right.

The batter is made with using 1:3 ratio of egg yolk (1) and egg whites (3). They whip the whites for several minutes until its like whipped cream, you can turn the bowl upside down and it will remain in the bowl. Then whip the the yolk in slowly. Dredge the poblano in flour then the batter and pan fry.

Its very light and delicate, and being covered with the sauce, its easy to not notice.

****If they did not prepare it this way, no, it was not authentic and probably wasn't the only item they skimped on and that would be my guess why they closed.

I'll incorporate eggs in my Rellenos to satisfy R-n and Hm-n.

H, rellenos are roasted and pealed poblano peppers, stuffed with Queso Chihuahua or other cheese, some other ingredients are sometimes used too. Then battered in egg and pan fried. Then topped with most commonly, a roasted tomato sauce.

Reactions: 2 people
I'll incorporate eggs in my Rellenos to satisfy R-n and Hm-n.

H, rellenos are roasted and pealed poblano peppers, stuffed with Queso Chihuahua or other cheese, some other ingredients are sometimes used too. Then battered in egg and pan fried. Then topped with most commonly, a roasted tomato sauce.

Sounds tasty as long as a real hot pepper isn't used. And it oughta have eggs with it like you said. Will try some next time I go to a Mexican restaurant.

Sounds tasty as long as a real hot pepper isn't used. And it oughta have eggs with it like you said. Will try some next time I go to a Mexican restaurant.

Poblano peppers aren't real hot, less than a jalapeño. I'd say about like a banana pepper.

Reactions: rocytop2624

VN Store

Back