Crootin Forum: Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, 2010. Drove down from Louisville for the game. Sat next to a father and son Oregon fans. They were nice and respectful, couldn't stop taking pics of Neyland and the crowd.

That storm was something else man, what was it? 90 min long?!

Oregon came out fired up; Vols looked like they'd just woken up from a nap. Trademark of Dooley era as it turns out.

Yes, it was an hour and half game delay. Like a different team came out. I knew from the start that Kiffin was a piece of crap, and celebrated when he ran out.. OTOH, I kept giving Dooley the benefit of the doubt even after the cruel and unusual punishment of LSU, Oregon (a different team came out) etc. Now, I just blame the Weasel for all of it.

Butch said they slowed down the offense this past Saturday to give the defense some rest since they were on the field a ton. I could see them doing something similar this week against Oregon, except instead of slowing down to give the D a rest, they slow down to keep the Oregon O off the field.

With our size/experience/talent advantage on the OL we should be able to pound the ball with Neal & Lane to chew up some clock. The teams Oregon has trouble with are the ones with size in the trenches that can move the ball on the ground & also cause some havoc with the DL against their O.

You don't want to get in a shoot out with their offense, especially when we don't have the talent or speed in the areas where you need playmakers.

They can't run up the middle or at least they couldn't against VA but VA couldn't stop them on the edges so I gotta figure that's where we'll focus our attention. It'll be interesting at least to see what our game plan turns out to be. If we could shut down the edges - wow.

They can't run up the middle or at least they couldn't against VA but VA couldn't stop them on the edges so I gotta figure that's where we'll focus our attention. It'll be interesting at least to see what our game plan turns out to be. If we could shut down the edges - wow.

Avoiding a first half onslaught would be huge. Tackling in space will be paramount. Watching the 2nd half highlights of the 2010 game, our tackling was worse than last years UF game...terrible!!

If I'm the UT coaching staff, I'm watching every little detail of the Stanford game... Especially defense.

Focus on what they had success on. Keeping Mariota in the pocket and not letting him extend plays.

Reactions: 1 person
OT, sorry this is the only way to get my point to the people it's supposed to be to:

To those involved, why in the hell was our fantasy draft scheduled for 7 PM on a weekday? The emails I sent out clearly said I wasn't good for anytime before 9 on weekdays? I saw the emails from yesterday but my previous email already said I wasn't going to be able to make that time. Then I see at 5:30 or so the draft was scheduled? That's not great heads up. Anyways I don't really want to quit, but I haven't looked at my team and its probably not something I'm going to be pleased with. I don't really know why communication wasn't better. I get 10-50 emails a day for school, work, and everything else and then scheduling our draft for a time I ready said I couldn't make wasn't the best form of communication. Anyways if I'm inactive it's because my teams blows.

Back to regular talk in here :hi:

If I'm the UT coaching staff, I'm watching every little detail of the Stanford game... Especially defense.

Focus on what they had success on. Keeping Mariota in the pocket and not letting him extend plays.

TCV, I thought the exact same thing earlier today, and didn't have time to post it. Didn't Stanford hold Oregon to less than 20 points on a couple of occasions? I bet ole Butch is already two steps ahead of us on this.

TCV, I thought the exact same thing earlier today, and didn't have time to post it. Didn't Stanford hold Oregon to less than 20 points on a couple of occasions? I bet ole Butch is already two steps ahead of us on this.

Yep, Oregon was averaging 52 pts a game last year and Stanford came into Autzen and beat them 17-14. Stanford's Dline dominated the ducks up front.

OT, sorry this is the only way to get my point to the people it's supposed to be to:

To those involved, why in the hell was our fantasy draft scheduled for 7 PM on a weekday? The emails I sent out clearly said I wasn't good for anytime before 9 on weekdays? I saw the emails from yesterday but my previous email already said I wasn't going to be able to make that time. Then I see at 5:30 or so the draft was scheduled? That's not great heads up. Anyways I don't really want to quit, but I haven't looked at my team and its probably not something I'm going to be pleased with. I don't really know why communication wasn't better. I get 10-50 emails a day for school, work, and everything else and then scheduling our draft for a time I ready said I couldn't make wasn't the best form of communication. Anyways if I'm inactive it's because my teams blows.

Back to regular talk in here :hi:

Not in your league but strap on a pair.

I auto drafted Chris Johnson with the 5th pick in a league last year. Got there late and doubled down with Jordy Nelson in the third or fourth.

I started off 1-5 and then after some masterful waiver moves I won like 8 straight and made it to the second round of the playoffs.

They held Oregon to 14 points. Oregon was 4-17 on 3rd downs. Stanford had 37 mins of offense and Oregon had 22. Stanford even had 3 turnovers. Oregon had 405 total yards... 207 passing and 198 passing.

Barner ran for 66 yards and 3.1 yards per carry. Stanford punted 6 times, 5 were downed inside the 20. Oregon punted 8 times, none inside the 20 and 2 were touchbacks.

In theory sounds good.

stanfords front 7 is superior. Same with Auburn when they had Nick Fairley.

If u want, go back and watch Montorri Hughes crush oregon for an entire half.

Do we have a Montorri?

In theory sounds good.

Do we have a Montorri?

Not really... I thought 98 could be that guy but the reports from today weren't too refreshing. I think we can hold our own on the interior... It's the perimeter I'm really concerned about.

In theory sounds good.

Do we have a Montorri?

Depends if Daniel or Dan shows up.

In theory sounds good.

Do we have a Montorri?

Currently, no.

Maybe one of these fresh down the road, but not right now

In theory sounds good.

Do we have a Montorri?

Yeah, McCullers, when he wants to be a grizzly bear (like against Bullard in bull in the ring), instead of a teddy bear.

Oregon Football Practice Report — Sept. 9

Highlights: The day began with the sort of balanced play you want to see when the ones face the ones. In FUJI to open the morning, De'Anthony Thomas busted loose for a decent gain and then on the next play was swallowed up in the backfield by Tony Washington. … I was impressed by several tough catches by young receivers over the middle over the course of the day. Chance Allen reached behind him to catch a pass from Jake Rodrigues, Darren Carrington leaped to haul in a pass thrown by Damion Hobbs while rolling out, and B.J. Kelley made a nice grab of a Marcus Mariota pass. …. Couple nice interceptions today, by Issac Dixon and Dior Mathis.

Other observations: Alejandro Maldonado has been perfect through two games, making a 29-yard kick against both Nicholls and Virginia. But today wasn't his day, with a couple missed attempts during a clutch scenario to end the afternoon. … Those attempts came with the twos, after the one defense got pass breakups from Brian Jackson and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu to keep Mariota and company from even reaching field-goal range. … I was impressed with the offensive line in pass-rush drills. Usually the defenders seem to have the edge, but interior blockers Hamani Stevens, Karrington Armstrong and Hroniss Grasu consistently held their ground today.

Oregon Football Practice Report — Sept. 9 - GoDucks.com - The University of Oregon Official Athletics Web Site

from the comments:

Any idea who is going to mimic the 6'8" 350lb D-Lineman that Tennessee has?

Few pretty run of the mill observations from the offense against WKU:

- Tiny is really good. All the o-lineman had really good moments, but I think he's our most consistently dominant blocker for sure. Need to let him lead the way. I thought the o-line played pretty poorly in the second quarter, but they bounced back (the whole team did) in the second half.

- Neal is really slippery. I know a lot of people are frustrated about him bouncing too many runs outside. I think that's somewhat true, but I also think he actually has an ability to turn some of those into huge gains for us. He is doing a much better job of taking what the defense is giving him. He's seeing the field a lot better than he was last year. He's so strong and fast. Lane compliments him perfectly and gives the offense some nastiness. Individually, we don't have an elite running back on the roster. But those two guys combined could be really special.

- I think Worley could be really good. He obviously didn't show much of that on Saturday and I don't know if he'll ever get there. But he had one throw in the third quarter that I keep thinking about to Josh Smith that was just perfect. It was a simple slant route on 3rd down to keep the chains moving. Really clutch moment in the game. That's really hard to defend when the ball is thrown that well. He doesn't have to be Johnny Football, but if he can make more throws like that we might have something.

- Receivers were pretty disappointing, but that was to be expected I guess. I like Johnathon Johnson and Josh Smith, and obviously Marquez a lot. Croom was disappointing on that one play, but I bet he'll bounce back. He had some pretty good blocks though. Pig is explosive as hell and probably needs 10-15 touches a game at least.

- Brendan Downs seemed solid at tight end. Looked like he's not scared to put his nose in there and block, but besides that, I couldn't really tell.

- I don't know what we're going to do at Oregon. I think our team is going to have the mentality that we can go in there and win, which is good. It will be really interesting to see how we hold up when bad things start to happen, because they inevitably will. We responded really well to adversity against WKU, but we still had a 2 touchdown lead and the luxury of halftime at the perfect moment. That being said, I think we keep it close for much longer than most people expect, and maybe even have a chance to win it in the end. Butch Jones seems like a good coach, and good coaches tend to figure out ways to hang around in games that they're not supposed to. It's not unheard of. This team doesn't seem like it's going to shoot themselves in the foot. If that's really going to be a lingering characteristic of Team 117, then we'll need to see it again this week.

You like the way Neal runs but didn't like the WRs???? What led to this? Because they consistently helped the QB out outside of the Croom drop.

If Maggitt is back he needs to have one job. And that's punishing Oregon's QB all game long. Let the rest of the defense handle the other guys. I want #8 punished every drive even when he fakes.

Reactions: 3 people
They held Oregon to 14 points. Oregon was 4-17 on 3rd downs. Stanford had 37 mins of offense and Oregon had 22. Stanford even had 3 turnovers. Oregon had 405 total yards... 207 passing and 198 passing.

Barner ran for 66 yards and 3.1 yards per carry. Stanford punted 6 times, 5 were downed inside the 20. Oregon punted 8 times, none inside the 20 and 2 were touchbacks.

I rewatched that Stanford game on YouTube a while back. I came away very impressed with the speed and depth of Stanford's defense. I don't think we have the horses to do what they did, unfortunately.

I could see on a good day us holding them to around 40, if we slow the game down somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back