Crootin Forum: Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else got a boner for Butch? No homo.

alonzo.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Can't watch the video on mobile to make an assessment, but early indications continue to confirm one of my concerns for this year which is the defense. Regardless of players being out, tackeling is fundamental and back ups are going to be relied upon in regular games anyway.

While I think the defense will he improved, it will mainly be because they were so terrible last year and they have no place to go but up.

If that video was mostly highlights of tackles the critique would be how our running game sucks and you can't win in the SEC without a running game. It's the positive/negative part of scrimmages. The fact is that our OL is elite and our RB's are veterans, it would be much more concerning to me if we didn't hear about OL and RB's dominating the first scrimmage. Plus, don't forget 3 of our best DL didn't participate. I liked that our QB's didn't throw any INT's, that's really good to hear.

I like how Butch talked about this week will be focusing on tackling, DL improvement and WR drops. And I don't think that's coach speak. I think the DL and WR's are in for some extra intense upcoming practices. About time we had some real coaching going on. These players will improve or sit on the bench come kickoff.

BOOM! I started to post something similar in the football forum then realized it would be useless. Bunch of Neal bashers can't give credit where it's due IMO. Interesting I've heard nobody criticize Lane's fumble.....or praise the D for causing Lane's fumble.

Last edited:
Gary Danielson just said his fav off-season hire was Butch Jones and Vols are sleeping giant about to awaken again!!

funny that when we hired CBJ, danielson said that he didn't understand why we would hire a finesse coach in the SEC. Looks like Butch is starting to change everyone's opinions

BOOM! I started to post something similar in the football forum then realized it would be useless. Bunch of Neal bashers can't give credit where it's due IMO. Interesting I've heard nobody criticize Lane's fumble.....or praise the D for causing Lane's fumble.

lol I mean if you were referencing to Flowd's comment, he wasn't really bashing anyone. Just saying there was a lot of arm tackles. If I missed what you were referencing, my bad broski

lol I mean if you were referencing to Flowd's comment, he wasn't really bashing anyone. Just saying there was a lot of arm tackles. If I missed what you were referencing, my bad broski

No wasn't referencing Flow's post. Just a lot of back and forth about Lane and Neal thru the offseason. Just seems like EVERYTIME Lane goes MIA or underachieves nobody mentions it. But Neal continues to get zero credit. Jmo

Edit: had the defense completely shut the offense down folks would be tripping about the offense. It's like either way something negative will be made of it.

Last edited:
Ok VN peeps, I admit that after watching the Vols for 43 years now, I am more excited about this year than any since the late 90's. Used to watch in frustration as Coach Majors didn't adjust during the game and we did the same thing over and over i.e. the 86 Bama game when Bobby Humphreys ran over an over up the middle and we lost 56-28 on national TV. Watched during the Fulmer era when he got outcoached again and again by the "ole ball coach". This year I see coaches who teach, motivate, encourage and demand intensity and attention to detail. We won't win every game obviously, but I feel like we will be proud of the effort the players put out and hopefully the decisions the coaches make. We're undefeated now and I usually lose a lot of interest after we lose to UF (just too painful to stay engaged after that) but this year I think it will be very interesting to watch the development of this team and the direction Butch takes us. Have a stong feeling we finally found a great coach but that remains to be seen. Hopefully Butch REALLY gets it and GBO!
Johnny Majors won one NC and 3 SEC championships and he was 185-137 and 9-7 in bowl games. Phil Fulmer won one NC and 2 sec championships and six east championships and was 152-52. But hey lets focus on the negative so it looks like they never did anything for the university. CBJ hasn't coached a game yet and he's the God of football.

No not football God but at least he hasn't said "slobber knocker" or "work like heck" yet that I know of. Come on it's the pre-season and we're bored so we look for stuff to post about. I respect both Coach Majors and Fulmer and the great things they did for the school, but could it have been better, yes. This time of year is about hope. Hope that the new coaches will exceed our expectations. Hope that the players will remain injury free and play the best football of their careers. Hope that we will win some we aren't expected to. Yes, we all have some things we didn't like about past regimes and things we did. Let's look forward to the season and sorry, I didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
No wasn't referencing Flow's post. Just a lot of back and forth about Lane and Neal thru the offseason. Just seems like EVERYTIME Lane goes MIA or underachieves nobody mentions it. But Neal continues to get zero credit. Jmo

Edit: had the defense completely shut the offense down folks would be tripping about the offense. It's like either way something negative will be made of it.

My take:
QB: definitely unproven. Drops among the WRs concern me a little with respect to both QBs and WRs.
WRs: inexperienced/unproven the fact that so many freshmen are getting first team reps concerns me a lot.

DE: pass rush is now my biggest concern on defense. Hopefully Vereen gets healthy and becomes a force in passing situations or somebody like Walls or Miller has a big senior year.
CB: kind of an enigma position. Hoping Coleman is developing and not just our best player by default. He looked like he could be good if everybody understood the system. Freshmen can contribute at this position, roshaun fellows had his best year as a FR in 04, I think Inky played a lot as a FR. The praise of Cam makes me feel OK about him pressing Riyahd but I hope Riyahd is good because we will need all 3 for sure. The nickel position concerns me a lot. The depth chart there had me wondering whether NB was some new term for former walk on.

DT: depth is a bigger concern for me than starting talent. I think Couch, Hood, and McCullers will be good in the 4-3.
TE: mostly worried about depth. Downs and Quinn are going to be solid, IMO.
S only worried about depth. Think we've got lots of talent there.
LB: not really concerned. Ton of SRs. Would like to see our few young guys get some game experience.
RB: ball security.
OL: no concerns.

Overall: you see in the NFL every year how a great running game can really help a young QB. Baltimore Ravens did it with Flacco, Washington with RGIII. I think we can run the ball well enough this year to take pressure off the QB and allow him to be a game manager. Defending the pass is a huge concern. Depth is a concern at almost every position.

Sorry for tl;dnr post.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Identity of tidewarrior discovered in this chilling documentary....

Alabama rehab - YouTube

Won't show up on mobile. But if that's the freebase cocaine one. That's some funny stuff.
Last time I drank tequila I beat up on ole Sally. So I only drink it about twice a year and when I do , Sally u better look out cause I'm comin upside that head

Can't watch the video on mobile to make an assessment, but early indications continue to confirm one of my concerns for this year which is the defense. Regardless of players being out, tackeling is fundamental and back ups are going to be relied upon in regular games anyway.

While I think the defense will he improved, it will mainly be because they were so terrible last year and they have no place to go but up.

Lost in this discussion is that many said the defense won last night's scrimmage. If you watch the player interviews, the players describe there being 5 sacks and multiple 3 and outs. They say apart from a few big running plays and that one long drive, they thought the defense did very well.

WR drops are the biggest concern in my mind. I still think that has more to do with scheme than with player's ability. Sounds like a lot is demanded of the WRs in this system and they are still learning how to play at this tempo. We'll see. I expect a few key drops this year, especially early in the season.

No not football God but at least he hasn't said "slobber knocker" or "work like heck" yet that I know of. Come on it's the pre-season and we're bored so we look for stuff to post about. I respect both Coach Majors and Fulmer and the great things they did for the school, but could it have been better, yes. This time of year is about hope. Hope that the new coaches will exceed our expectations. Hope that the players will remain injury free and play the best football of their careers. Hope that we will win some we aren't expected to. Yes, we all have some things we didn't like about past regimes and things we did. Let's look forward to the season and sorry, I didnt't mean to be a Debbie Downer.
You're not Deb Downer I interpreted your statement as if all of a sudden CBJ has out coached them and or is a better coached based off the negative examples you used. Dude I'm excited but pointing out shortcomings of two coaches doesn't support your argument until he's coached a game. What will you say if 12 men are on the field? But I get what you're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back