Crompton on The Zone

Andy Kelly did throw a lot of picks, but I'm not buying that at all.
Buy it all day long

15 TD vs 15 int 2759 yards for AK...with Carl Pickens, Corey Fleming and Craig Faulkner

27 TD. Vs 13 int 2800 yards for JC.

The 15 TDs were a career high for AK. As a 2.5 year starter he threw
36 TDs and 38 int.

Cromptons ratio was 36/22.

Crompton gets grief because he was on an awful team.

AK gets a pass because he was on a good squad. Kelly is what kept us from being a great team.

I can't think of a starting qb we have had since AK that wasn't better than he was.

Andy Kelly did throw a lot of picks, but I'm not buying that at all.[/QUOTE

Buy it all day long

15 TD vs 15 int 2759 yards for AK...with Carl Pickens, Corey Fleming and Craig Faulkner

27 TD. Vs 13 int 2800 yards for JC.

The 15 TDs were a career high for AK. As a 2.5 year starter he threw
36 TDs and 38 int.

Cromptons ratio was 36/22.

Crompton gets grief because he was on an awful team.

AK gets a pass because he was on a good squad. Kelly is what kept us from being a great team.

I can't think of a starting qb we have had since AK that wasn't better than he was.

Andy Kelly was the best at handing the ball to running backs behind an all american line. Throw in a few all sec RB's and you are a decent QB. Monterio helped JC and the 09 line was not bad.

Matt Sims was not better than AK.

I'm not talking about the aberrational forced into action players- AJ Suggs, Rick Clausen, etc.

I'm talking about Shuler, Manning, Martin, Clausen, Ainge, Crompton, Bray...heck Worley only played 15 games on horrific teams and had a better TD int ratio than Kelly.

I'm not talking about the aberrational forced into action players- AJ Suggs, Rick Clausen, etc.

I'm talking about Shuler, Manning, Martin, Clausen, Ainge, Crompton, Bray...heck Worley only played 15 games on horrific teams and had a better TD int ratio than Kelly.

AK threw some picks, but he was also completing passes at a 60%+ clip and getting it down the field; two things Crompton never really excelled at except for 2-3 games his Senior year.

Crompton's TD number his Sr year is one of the stranger stats I can remember. I can't remember a QB throwing that many TD passes who looked more lost at times. I do seem to remember him feasting against about 3 teams though.

AK threw some picks, but he was also completing passes at a 60%+ clip and getting it down the field; two things Crompton never really excelled at except for 2-3 games his Senior year.

Crompton's TD number his Sr year is one of the stranger stats I can remember. I can't remember a QB throwing that many TD passes who looked more lost at times. I do seem to remember him feasting against about 3 teams though.

Imagine 2 race drivers. One has a new crew chief every season and drives a Honda civic.

The other drives a corvette.

Kelly was the most frustrating player in my 30+ years of fandom.

Insert Clausen, Ainge, Manning in that offense and we might have been Nat Champs. Kelly was the starter because Sterling Hinton was a huge miss in recruitng.

After a couple horrible games, Kiffin finally figured out that Crompton was great in a moving pocket. Crompton proceeded to throw for-

9 TD and 2 int against Auburn, UGA, Bama and SC. He was a blocked field goal from beating Bama. Also, his center and guard were 265 lbs.

Andy Kelly would have thrown about 40 interceptions on this team

Andy Kelly lost 6 games in 3 years while winning the SEC twice. How frustrating could it have possibly been?

I will grant you though, no athletic competition has ever had me closer to going insane than the 1990 Alabama game.

Andy Kelly lost 6 games in 3 years while winning the SEC twice. How frustrating could it have possibly been?

Andy Kelly is a hard quarterback to evaluate because he did win so many games but... by far and away had the best WR corps (Carl Pickens, Alvin Harper and Anthony Morgan) and always a very good Offensive line, which at times included Eric Still, Tom Myslinski, John Fisher, Antone Davis and Charles McRae. Kelly threw a pick six in almost every game in '91 but also lead many comebacks. It is hard to say but I think if you gave Heath Shuler the O-line and WR's that Kelly had to work with, we would have never lost a game at all.

Reactions: 1 person

His senior year we finished 3rd in the Sec and didn'tv even have to play UGA.

We then got embarrassed by Penn St in a bowl game.

All this with arguably the most talent we ever had.

Imagine 2 race drivers. One has a new crew chief every season and drives a Honda civic.

The other drives a corvette.

Kelly was the most frustrating player in my 30+ years of fandom.

Insert Clausen, Ainge, Manning in that offense and we might have been Nat Champs. Kelly was the starter because Sterling Hinton was a huge miss in recruitng.

After a couple horrible games, Kiffin finally figured out that Crompton was great in a moving pocket. Crompton proceeded to throw for-

9 TD and 2 int against Auburn, UGA, Bama and SC. He was a blocked field goal from beating Bama. Also, his center and guard were 265 lbs.

Andy Kelly would have thrown about 40 interceptions on this team

Are you kidding me! Have you seen his command of the wheels of steel?

His senior year we finished 3rd in the Sec and didn'tv even have to play UGA.

We then got embarrassed by Penn St in a bowl game.

All this with arguably the most talent we ever had.
All those losses were on the road to top 10 teams. It's not like we were underachieving.

All those losses were on the road to top 10 teams. It's not like we were underachieving.

We can agree to disagree, but the best WR corps in the country, 2 top rbs and an awesome o line shouldn't equal 15 TD and 15 ints. He was the weak link.

We can agree to disagree, but the best WR corps in the country, 2 top rbs and an awesome o line shouldn't equal 15 TD and 15 ints. He was the weak link.

We're going to have to agree to disagree ... because you're wrong. :p

I love arguments like this.

VN Store

Back