Crazy story told by Grant Williams about Rick Barnes

I would have grown up without a father.
Same here. I would have been in jail many a time myself. There is a difference in beating and correction. Looking around at the world today, you can tell there has not been much correction going on. I guess putting them in timeout is the ticket. Oh wait, they tend to just get on their laptop/playstation, or phone.

I played college baseball and we had multiple days in the fall that were designed to weed players out. They were brutal but players found a way thru them. Dude doing the interviewing acted like he had never heard of something like that before.
As a coach I never cut one single player, they cut themselves. One baseball season I had 60 come out for 18 Varsity spots. By Thursday there were 19 left, I kept the 19th. It was easy in football, summer workouts did the job.

If you were in grade school in the fifties or sixties and you didn't get the belt from your mother or father or mom first then she telling dad and getting the belt from him,then you didn't live.Charles Barkley said if dads who used a belt or switch on their sons got jailed,"nobody would have a dad at home."

When I was in high school you couldn't be on the team if you couldn't run a 6 minute mile and a 13 minute two mile amongst many, many other things such as multiple 30 second suicides. I can remember coach saying we may not be the best team in the state, but we'd be the best conditioned.

When I was in high school you couldn't be on the team if you couldn't run a 6 minute mile and a 13 minute two mile amongst many, many other things such as multiple 30 second suicides. I can remember coach saying we may not be the best team in the state, but we'd be the best conditioned.
Damn. 6 minute mile is impressive as is a 13 minute 2 mile. Pretty high standards

Reactions: VoltillweFall
If you use a belt on someone you should go to jail. Jesus
Belt, switch, paddle, bare hand...a certain generation has experienced most or all of these corrective tools. We turned out alright (*eye twitches, just a little*).

Kids these days think any corporeal punishment is grounds for conviction. Heh.

Go Vols!

Weeding players out is a very real thing. Played football at the FCS level, first week of lifts and practices were the worst thing I’ve ever been through in my entire life and I played 3 sports for 15 years. There’s a reason they call it freshman h*** week.
Suicide sprints was all that was needed to weed players out. Got rid of all the smokers too.

Our suicide sprints were full field starting on the goal line in 10 yard and back intervals until your last spring was goal to goal and back. I think I added up one time that each heat was 700 yards of sprinting. Then you went to back of line and had about 45 seconds to breath before you were up again.

At any point during high school that you tried out for football and your name ever made the yellow pad, you were on the cut list end of week and permanently. They never threw those pads away, and as long as you were still in HS and yout name was on a yellow pad, you never made the football team.

Last edited:
I ran into my old high school baseball coach recently. He said you couldn't coach now like he coached us back in the day or they would put you in jail. Run till you puke and then run some more. He made us a state ranked team that made the Final Four and more importantly it helped make men out of us. Everytime I hear somebody say that guys gonna be great coach because he's a player's coach I know that team is about to suck. Great coaches are not always fun to play for.
Very well said. Same goes with parenting. I'm 28 and no prospects for that yet, but know full well that being a good dad is similar to being a good coach

Reactions: ColinS
Speaking of Jesus, He actually used a literal whip on some dudes one time you know 😉
I think the text you are alluding to is John 2:15-16. I am hoping you will give these verses another look ... and I will start with ... even Greek scholars are divided on the force of the text!

The Greek text here is very interesting. From a historical and narrative point of view it is extremely unlikely (from my frame of reference) that the text is intending to construe Jesus, as whipping people.
The whip: Jesus makes an object (whip is inadequate to describe this creation, as he creates this makeshift 'prod' on the fly out of cords ( ἐκ σχοινίων ) from materials on hand) and it is certainly not in the category of a weapon as those were forbidden on temple grounds. Which is attested to by Raymond Brown, Craig Keener, et. al.
The behavior: For Jesus to strike people (specifically, non family members) with a woven group of cords, in a public temple setting, would have never been tolerated by Jews or Romans. His arrest would have been carried out immediately, by either the temple guards or Roman soldiers.
The opposition: The response of the Jewish people is ... to request a sign that he has the right to do these things. This does not seem the natural progression to a scene where a man has just applied cords to the bodies of people. 2:18

While it is not impossible for 'all' (πάντας) to refer to people, I think it is somewhat difficult to reach that interpretation based on the Greek text. However, it is much easier for me to imagine Jesus applying the cords to animals and get them moving out of the temple grounds and I can easily imagine vendors chasing after their property and being expelled naturally along with their animals. Or at the very least, I can see myself running after my departing sheep and oxen.

When looking at the Greek text, I am suggesting that the force of the text flows much better when 'all' (πάντας) is looking at the sheep and the oxen (τά τε πρόβατα καὶ τοὺς βόας,).
The NASB has interpreted τά τε ... καὶ as "with ... and"
The ASV has interpreted τά τε ... καὶ as "both ... and"
Why? What is the difference?
Some would argue strongly that if the intent here was 'all' (πάντας) == people ... (along) with animals ... we should see either μετά or ἅμα. I am inclined to agree with their assessment. The Greek phrase, in context, is much more naturally "both the sheep and the oxen."

Nevertheless, the text becomes more difficult when we have 'all' (πάντας) (the people) driven out in 2:15 ... but we also have him talking to people in 2:16, demanding that they (the people with doves) take out the (caged, my interpolation) doves?!?

What I think I see in the text (as well as my interpolations) ...
1) The driving out of the animals with a whip made of cords (and some of the people chasing after their animals)
2) The pouring out and overturning of the booths/tables/physical objects, i.e. coinage and tables
3) He has a demanding conversation with those still there who still there on the temple grounds who were selling (caged) doves.

I would encourage a look at a well researched article that is a little dated (2009), but is a really well written and documented discussion of John 2:15-16, by Croy, The Messianic Whippersnapper: Did Jesus Use a Whip on People in the Temple (John 2:15)? https://www.jstor.org/stable/25610203

If you use a belt on someone you should go to jail. Jesus
Our football coach in Jr. High put a chair up on the stage in the gym in the middle. We would line up on steps and one at a time walk to the center and show the report card. He had a paddle. Each D was one lick and each F was 2 licks. It had a nice echo sound in that empty gym. This was in the late 60s. Nobody complained.

Reactions: JarFly
My son played college baseball. When he was a sophomore, 5 freshmen skipped class--a strict rule of the coach. That afternoon after practice, the coach told the freshmen to go stand on the pitchers mound. Then, he had the rest of the team run poles until they puked. The freshmen were crying as player after player upchucked. The upper classmen never said anything about it to them. They never missed another class. The lesson learned: when you screw up, you hurt your teammates.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib

VN Store

Back