Country music thread

How old are you? If your older than 21, You have no idea of how times are.

What? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Today's mainstream songs are about the same things I was doing 15 years ago and the same thing my parents were doing when they were 18.

Luke Bryan (37 yrs old), Blake Shelton (also 37), Jason Aldean (will be 37 this month) and whoever else you want to name (The Florida/Georgia Line duo are upper 20s found a niche that stuck just as well with you teenie boppers as it did with people my age and even older ones. Don't pretend they're writing about your life.

Reactions: 1 person
I had no idea there was such a divide in the country fan base! I have listened to a bit of both old and new and I can say I like both. But I warm to the newer stuff a little more - but that is probably because I am still a teen...

I had no idea there was such a divide in the country fan base! I have listened to a bit of both old and new and I can say I like both. But I warm to the newer stuff a little more - but that is probably because I am still a teen...

Check out Casey Donahew, Jason Boland, and Mickey and the Motorcars

I mean this in a totally respectful way. But do people dress up for country music gigs? Will I stand out in jeans and t shirt?

I have it in my mind that lumberjack shirts and boots will be the common clothing.

I mean this in a totally respectful way. But do people dress up for country music gigs? Will I stand out in jeans and t shirt?

I have it in my mind that lumberjack shirts and boots will be the common clothing.
Either way man. Just don't sag your pants and wear your cap backwards 👍

I've been to countless country concerts and my typical wear is a t-shirt and jeans. If it's summer, I might be in shorts, if it's really cold or a date, I might be in a casual button up. I've not owned cowboy boots since I was like 8.

I have nothing against those that like the current mainstream country stuff, but I think it's garbage. It's just the same stuff regurgitated over and over imo. But these type of songs have been written for decades, just not to this kind of frequency.

Already posted, but stephen you should look into Jamey Johnson, Jason Isbell, Kacey Musgraves, Gary Allan, Ashley Monroe and some others mentioned about 2-4 pages back. The country music sound of the 70s and 90s can still be found, just not easily on mainstream radio.

also check out Randy Rogers Band, Bart Crow Band and Cross Canadian Ragweed, especially if you liked the Jason Boland and the Stragglers recommendation.

Wow, a nearly 7 year old thread still getting posts. I like like country music as well.

The southern culture is different than it was in the past. Today's country speaks of how times are now. Classic country preaches how times where then. I love both.

If that were true, then radio wouldn't be trying to pretend that Kacey Musgraves doesn't exist.

Reactions: 1 person
If that were true, then radio wouldn't be trying to pretend that Kacey Musgraves doesn't exist.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm just stirring the pot. However, I do believe that country music today is spoken to the younger crowd. Why? because it creates more sales.

It's a fact. Sales were up in several genres, but down significantly in country. Mmk.

Actually, You'rewrong. All music sales have dropped 10 billion dollars in the past 20 years. You do know, Country music is the top 3 most "pirated" download in the past 5. Mmk.

Actually, You'rewrong. All music sales have dropped 10 billion dollars in the past 20 years. You do know, Country music is the top 3 most "pirated" download in the past 5. Mmk.

I'm not talking last twenty years guy. I'm talking year to year. Get with the program, mmk?

I'm not talking last twenty years guy. I'm talking year to year. Get with the program, mmk?

Mmk, Luke Bryan had the 2 downloads last year. There's 3 more in the top 10 one being Taylor swift. I already proved you wrong in another thread and I'm about to do it again.

Mmk, Luke Bryan had the 2 downloads last year. There's 3 more in the top 10 one being Taylor swift. I already proved you wrong in another thread and I'm about to do it again.

Go look at sales figures overall. A few big singles downloads don't prove anything.

Also me asking if you've seen the contract and you saying yes doesn't prove me wrong, it just answers the question I asked. Nice try though.

Go look at sales figures overall. A few big singles downloads don't prove anything.

Also me asking if you've seen the contract and you saying yes doesn't prove me wrong, it just answers the question I asked. Nice try though.

I posted it on there:)

Sales figures have went down due to the black market.

I'm done arguing.

I've been to countless country concerts and my typical wear is a t-shirt and jeans. If it's summer, I might be in shorts, if it's really cold or a date, I might be in a casual button up. I've not owned cowboy boots since I was like 8.

I have nothing against those that like the current mainstream country stuff, but I think it's garbage. It's just the same stuff regurgitated over and over imo. But these type of songs have been written for decades, just not to this kind of frequency.

Already posted, but stephen you should look into Jamey Johnson, Jason Isbell, Kacey Musgraves, Gary Allan, Ashley Monroe and some others mentioned about 2-4 pages back. The country music sound of the 70s and 90s can still be found, just not easily on mainstream radio.

Country music has always tried to modernize it's sound somewhat through the decades. However there was a big shift in the musical direction of country music, starting I would say right around the time Mutt Lange (who produced AC/DC, Def Leppard, Foreigner, etc) produced Shania Twain's "Come On Over." From about that point on is when I'd say country basically became pop. I'm not saying there aren't still certain factions out there of artists still trying to stay true to the roots of the country sound but by and large, the stuff coming out of Nashville now is pop. It really isn't country anymore.

VN Store

Back