Country music thread

Time to move this thread up again. If you haven't heard George Strait's new cd you should check it out. Got some good stuff on there. Even after all these years, Blue Melodies is one of the best songs he's ever came up with.

Plug time...
If you like older country, 90's and earlier, go by Wild Wing Cafe in Knoxville Thursday evening.

Time to move this thread up again. If you haven't heard George Strait's new cd you should check it out. Got some good stuff on there. Even after all these years, Blue Melodies is one of the best songs he's ever came up with.

Plug time...
If you like older country, 90's and earlier, go by Wild Wing Cafe in Knoxville Thursday evening.

Your cover of "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" is, in one word.......amazing....... Made me want to sing along.

Last edited:
If you want a refresher course on how great country sounds may i recommend the following albums:

1. Jason Isbell, "Southeastern"
2. Kacey Musgraves, "Same Trailer, Different Park"
3. Ashley Monroe, "Like A Rose"
4. Gary Allan, "Set You Free"

If you want a refresher course on how great country sounds may i recommend the following albums:

I don't like alot of new country, but ill give these a listen. Jamey Johnson is the best out there right now.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice man, Ill give em a listen. Im 29 years old and have always been more into Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, etc. Wish it would go back to that style completely, you know?

yeah. If you feel like punishing yourself, read the last 20 pages of this thread. It's a back and forth about that issue. I just want to hear at least one of the following: Steel guitar, fiddle, mandolin or banjo. I don't want to be drowned out by loud electric guitar riffs and heavy drums. I want country to go back to sad songs, life is tough songs, etc. Not about jackin up the truck, drinking beer and getting your woman dolled up in tight blue jeans. Those songs are fun occasionally, but now it's all you get.

Reactions: 1 person

Good list. Isbell's Southeastern is fantastic. IMO Album of year.

May I add..
5. Sturgill Simpson "High top mountain" (reminds me of waylon)
6. Brandy Clark "12 stories" (great songwriter)

May I add..

I like Brandy Clark, but I will say I think Ashley Monroe and Kacey Musgraves are better. I will look into Sturgill Simpson though. A friend of mine has also mentioned him to me.

May I add..

I like Brandy Clark, but I will say I think Ashley Monroe and Kacey Musgraves are better. I will look into Sturgill Simpson though. A friend of mine has also mentioned him to me.

There's really no point in rattling on about how great Southeastern is because, at this point, it's been said over and over again by just about everyone on the internet but I'd just like to add that it's the album of the year and Elephant might be the best song of the year.

Also makes me incredibly happy to see Sturgill Simpson getting a mention in here. If you haven't listened to Sturgill before I'd recommend High Top Mountain but I'd also say to check out the last album with his old band Sunday Valley. Album was called To the Wind and on to Heaven.

yeah. If you feel like punishing yourself, read the last 20 pages of this thread. It's a back and forth about that issue. I just want to hear at least one of the following: Steel guitar, fiddle, mandolin or banjo. I don't want to be drowned out by loud electric guitar riffs and heavy drums. I want country to go back to sad songs, life is tough songs, etc. Not about jackin up the truck, drinking beer and getting your woman dolled up in tight blue jeans. Those songs are fun occasionally, but now it's all you get.

I don't know that it would be considered the most country song ever from a musical standpoint (even though it does have plenty of the instrumentation that you were talking about) but one of the best things I heard all year would probably be right up your alley thematically. My girlfriend likes to tell me that I like old, sad bastard music and this definitely backs up her point and it just so happens to be from one of Knoxville's own.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y1GRfHs-im4[/youtube]

I'd also add to the list:

John Moreland: In the Throes
Caitlin Rose: The Stand-In

I'm not a huge country fan by any means. But I heard a country swing band the other day that was very good. The band is the time jumpers and is worth checking out if you like that style. Vince Gill plays with them a lot so if you like his music you probably like these guys.

VN Store

Back