Countdown until it's basketball time in Tennessee!

I swear I reading the thread a day later and it was like seeing a car crash in slow motion with no ability to do anything. Dallas going, without hesitation, straight at BTO...I immediately knew what was about to happen. I love how fast BTO can pull up these old threads or remember these posts. I'm pretty good at finding old stuff, but BTO is the freaking GOAT.

I honestly can’t even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday lol I remebered that he was saying we had a chance close to selection Sunday, and I thought he said so during. Guess not lol

VQ saying buzz around practice last couple weeks has been on Admiral and Bone...Admiral really showing an improved shot and looks like Tennessee's best player right now. Bone has responded very well to the increased competition and has taken his game to another level, he's starting to separate himself at PG.

Great news

Any word on how UT's scrimmage versus Davidson went this weekend ? I can't believe news hasn't leaked yet on who won ?

Last edited:
Any word on how UT's scrimmage versus Davidson went this weekend ? I can't believe news hasn't leaked yet on who won ?

Won by 14, but details aren't out so unclear exactly what that 14 means. They do regular game scrimmages and then also do some situational stuff, so could be Tennessee won scrimmage by 20 but lost situational stuff by 6, or say only won by 2 but won situational stuff by 14...hard to determine much.

Won by 14, but details aren't out so unclear exactly what that 14 means. They do regular game scrimmages and then also do some situational stuff, so could be Tennessee won scrimmage by 20 but lost situational stuff by 6, or say only won by 2 but won situational stuff by 14...hard to determine much.

14+2=14...

But really I agree, scores in scrimmages don’t mean anything really. Only a scouting report would mean something.

Reactions: 1 person
14+2=14...

But really I agree, scores in scrimmages don’t mean anything really. Only a scouting report would mean something.

Agreed...I would like to see how individual guys did, and who got what minutes. Thankfully the exhibition against Carson Newman will provide all that.

I think Rick's rotation will be 12-13 guys deep

I agree. But not in every game. He'll go small versus some and bigger versus others... some may barely play or not play at all versus one team and then play 12-15 in the next. I don't see a huge separation between around players 9ish through 13.

I think that Kent can make a contribution so I'm not convinced that he'll RS. If he's slow to develop, then probably so. But if he's catching on I think that his length and ability to step outside on offense are dimensions that can be exploited. Putting him on the perimeter will pull a lot of the opposition's size from near the basket which will open up the painted area for Williams, Pons, Schofield, Fulkerson, Johnson... practically everybody, to be able to operate. If Walker steps outside defenses probably leave him unguarded. If Kent steps outside and isn't guarded he'll do some damage.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. But not in every game. He'll go small versus some and bigger versus others... some may barely play or not play at all versus one team and then play 12-15 in the next. I don't see a huge separation between around players 9ish through 13.

I think that Kent can make a contribution so I'm not convinced that he'll RS. If he's slow to develop, then probably so. But if he's catching on I think that his length and ability to step outside on offense are dimensions that can be exploited. Putting him on the perimeter will pull a lot of the opposition's size from near the basket which will open up the painted area for Williams, Pons, Schofield, Fulkerson, Johnson... practically everybody, to be able to operate. If Walker steps outside defenses probably leave him unguarded. If Kent steps outside and isn't guarded he'll do some damage.

I thought it was a good sign in those practice videos that he was coaching Kent hard. In the past that's been the sign that he thought you could contribute.
Like to see us be deep enough that they can afford to RS though, if needed..

I thought it was a good sign in those practice videos that he was coaching Kent hard. In the past that's been the sign that he thought you could contribute.
Like to see us be deep enough that they can afford to RS though, if needed..

I agree. Over the past couple of seasons Rick hasn't hesitated to discard players who weren't coachable or don't have a spot in his rotation while focusing on the guys who buy into his system. Remember Kasongor complaining about Rick not giving Ray K an explanation for his shrinking minutes? Auntie Dee made it seem even worse and described Rick ignoring McGhee altogether which we kinda saw play out on TV. Just as Rick started praising Jabari's energy he started getting onto him for committing stupid fouls. In Brooklyn a few weeks later Jabari committed probably the stupidest foul I have ever seen during the Battle 4 Barclays and never played for us again. Rick banished him to the end of the bench and Jabari took his ball and went home. Even last year Admiral was in Rick's doghouse for whatever reason and for a moment it wasn't looking good for him. Luckily for us he responded well and stuck it out.

I could be completely wrong, but my guess would be that if he wasn't going to play that Rick would focus his energy on someone else who was.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. Over the past couple of seasons Rick hasn't hesitated to discard players who weren't coachable or don't have a spot in his rotation while focusing on the guys who buy into his system. Remember Kasongor complaining about Rick not giving Ray K an explanation for his shrinking minutes? Auntie Dee made it seem even worse and described Rick ignoring McGhee altogether which we kinda saw play out on TV. Just as Rick started praising Jabari's energy he started getting onto him for committing stupid fouls. In Brooklyn a few weeks later Jabari committed probably the stupidest foul I have ever seen during the Battle 4 Barclays and never played for us again. Rick banished him to the end of the bench and Jabari took his ball and went home. Even last year Admiral was in Rick's doghouse for whatever reason and for a moment it wasn't looking good for him. Luckily for us he responded well and stuck it out.

I could be completely wrong, but my guess would be that if he wasn't going to play that Rick would focus his energy on someone else who was.

you said it better than I could. Agree with every word.

I think that "discard" is a bit harsh. Put their asses on the bench and use other forms of discipline for the guys that aren't buying in, sure. But I thought Barnes didn't want Kasongo and McGhee to leave. Maybe he did encourage Parker and Phillips to move on though. Some guys respond better than others. I remember Kwe ignoring and walking right by Barnes last year when he was pulled out of games and CRB was giving him an earful of "advice". Freshmen especially shouldn't show that much disrespect for the guy that has spent a lifetime in the sport.

I think that the guys still on the roster are coachable. The ones that have defected probably not so much. This team is potentially greater than the sum of it's individuals.

VN Store

Back