Could be '98 again

If it's ever going to be 1998 again, the Vols sure as heck better find a defense very quickly, because last year was record setting and not in a good way:eek:lol:

We are a 8 and 4 program we settle for average some will get pissed some will know old TP is telling it like it is when i was young i always thought we would win 10 out of 11 each year wishing won't win you football games top coaches and elite recruits wins NC's and SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS this roster has talent but we don't have the coaching or enough elite recruits to do what the 98 team did look around we hire average coaches in our head coaching jobs in sports plus you hire a average AD he will take 8 and 4 every year this reminds me of the 70's and early 80's where the coach wins just enough to keep his job Butch has showed what he is in crunch time he chokes up but he is a decent recruiter but on the bright side he is better than DOOLS.:thud:

Agreed.....as long as we keep filling the seats and buying UT gear the upper management at UTk will be happy as "pigs in slop" with a 8 and 9 win season with no conference championship visits.....it's all about money now and not about School pride in athletics....just keeping it real.

Reactions: 1 person
I had a buddy that came to Knoxville and said the funniest thing he saw was people wearing shirts that said "feels like 98."

8-4 is NO good! Have to go 9-3 or 10-2 to be worthwhile, especially the latter. Beat UGA and Fla and we could go 10-2 (losses to Bama and LSU) and win the SEC East.

If the team stays healthy=8-10 wins or more.
If injuries like the past=6-7 wins.
In my humble opinion, health is the biggest issue like many have said.
I agree no way should this team be compared to the '98 team. Way too many differences.

Witch Doctor approve!. *but, makes too much sense for this board , gotta be undefeated or Butch is a secret agent secretly trying to destroy UT sports to fit in here. lol

BNL

For all the pumpers who are not being realistic, I thought we could use a post like this since everyone seems to be relating the up coming season to the '98 season in all these other threads. Yes, we lost talent after last years season. Yes, in '98 graduation and draft took it's toll. Yes, everyone expected a NC in '97. Yes, everyone expected alot of success last year. No, outsiders were not expecting much for the '98 season (neither were many of us). Outsiders are not expecting much this year. But, because we did it in '98, we're gonna do it this year!

Realistic fans know this season is in no way, shape or fashion like the '98 team! Not to hamper the pumpers but it's not!

P.S., fwiw, tbh, FOW I'm not a Nega!

Thats hilarious. Do you have any idea how many miracles it took for 98' to be 98'?

The 98 team was more talented than every team in the SEC, with the possible exception of Florida. It is hard to argue the same with this team relative to the rest of the SEC. Which means you believe that Butch Jones has the ability to coach and develop players better than several rivals. Anything is possible, but...

The '98 team was more talented than Florida. Not much more though. From the late eighties until the mid 2000s, we generally were a little more talented than Florida, which I say because we had several more players drafted during that time frame

Could be '98 again 5.0

Betcha I could throw a football over that mountain.

If coach woulda put me in we would've taken state, no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: 5 people
For all the pumpers who are not being realistic, I thought we could use a post like this since everyone seems to be relating the up coming season to the '98 season in all these other threads. Yes, we lost talent after last years season. Yes, in '98 graduation and draft took it's toll. Yes, everyone expected a NC in '97. Yes, everyone expected alot of success last year. No, outsiders were not expecting much for the '98 season (neither were many of us). Outsiders are not expecting much this year. But, because we did it in '98, we're gonna do it this year!

Realistic fans know this season is in no way, shape or fashion like the '98 team! Not to hamper the pumpers but it's not!

P.S., fwiw, tbh, FOW I'm not a Nega!

I don't see a GBO amidst your acronyms. :whistling:

Thats hilarious. Do you have any idea how many miracles it took for 98' to be 98'?

Not miracles, we just won more downs than the other teams did. Much of that from our talent, some of that from the other team making more mistakes than we did. That's football.

Tee Martin was not a rookie freshmen. Hilarious thread

No, Tee Martin was a junior, same as Dormady. The year before '98, Martin completed 6 out of 12 for 87 yds.
Dormady last year was no worse, completing 11 of 17 for 148 yds.

The '98 team was more talented than Florida. Not much more though. From the late eighties until the mid 2000s, we generally were a little more talented than Florida, which I say because we had several more players drafted during that time frame

I remember Spurrior commenting after the '99 or 2000 or '02 game (I think it was '99) that sometimes the better team doesn't always win. I thought he was refering to the '98 game.

Some where around the '96-'97 game I remember the T.V broadcaster stating Fulmer said "we've finally got the talent to compete with Florida". That was about the time Chavis was taking DB's and converting them to LB's to compensate for the lack of speed.

Who remembers the year we were out of WR's because they had all been moved to DB's?

The main difference, between '98 and '17, imo, is Shawn Ellis, Darwin Walker, Al Wilson, Raynoch Thompson, Deon Grant, Chad Clifton, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Shawn Bryson, Cedrick Wilson and Peerless Price. And those were just the guys, that had 5+ years in the League. I know, Dewayne Goodrich and Tee Martin were drafted too. John Henderson was on the team, too, but didn't play, Prop 48. I'm sure, I am forgetting a couple of more draftees. But, there is no way, we have that much talent on the 2017 team. Sorry, the comparison to '98, really is ridiculous. Can we win the East ? Maybe, but that's as far as it goes

giphy.gif

Not miracles, we just won more downs than the other teams did. Much of that from our talent, some of that from the other team making more mistakes than we did. That's football.

You are forgetting the Arkansas game. There WAS a miracle in that game, and his name was Billy Ratliff.

The collective desire and will of that team was the reason that championship was won. Yes we had talent, but there was plenty we faced that year. But as to mistakes being made? Guys like Ratliff, Wilson, and Thompson was forcing them.

Now, THAT is football.

VN Store

Back