A NFL FB
Multiple NFL RBs
Multiple NFL WRs
Multiple NFL OL
Multiple NFL DL
Multiple NFL LBs
Multiple NFL CBs/S
Hall of Fame coach

Butch has recruited better than the prior regime but there's nowhere near the amount of NFL talent on this team when compared to 98.

I do see a scenario where the team takes the next step (like the 98 team) such as 10 or 11 wins and winning the East; but a Natty isn't in the cards this year.

What are you saying ... nobody on team 121 will ever go on to the NFL?

Because, before the '98 season, it was not a guarantee that any individual of that team would do so.

I don't consider myself a Nega but the 98 team had the following:

A NFL QB- DORMADY
A NFL FB
Multiple NFL RBs-Byrd, F-A
Multiple NFL WRs-Mal, Jen
Multiple NFL OL-Rich, Smith
Multiple NFL DL-Kong, Ver
Multiple NFL LBs-UR RIGHT
Multiple NFL CBs/S-Wiggins
Hall of Fame coach-not likely but he's got 6 more years to win at NATTY!

Butch has recruited better than the prior regime but there's nowhere near the amount of NFL talent on this team when compared to 98.

I do see a scenario where the team takes the next step (like the 98 team) such as 10 or 11 wins and winning the East; but a Natty isn't in the cards this year.

Look up for sunshine! 2017 VOLS!

We were very lucky three games in 1998.

so? don't understand the need everytime it's brought up to start with the "hey let's devaule the best season we've had in 60 years!" mantras.

luck or no, the trophy is still in the case over there.:thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
We are a 8 and 4 program we settle for average some will get pissed some will know old TP is telling it like it is when i was young i always thought we would win 10 out of 11 each year wishing won't win you football games top coaches and elite recruits wins NC's and SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS this roster has talent but we don't have the coaching or enough elite recruits to do what the 98 team did look around we hire average coaches in our head coaching jobs in sports plus you hire a average AD he will take 8 and 4 every year this reminds me of the 70's and early 80's where the coach wins just enough to keep his job Butch has showed what he is in crunch time he chokes up but he is a decent recruiter but on the bright side he is better than DOOLS.:thud:

1998 had a lot of talent and depth in key positions. Don't kid yourself. 2017 isn't close to that team.

For the most part its true. After the 97 season, 98 was supposed to be a drop off. The magic of that season was that so many players emerged as such before our eyes as the season wore on. Who ever heard of Travis Stephens and Travis Henry before J Lewis was lost and people thought the seasons hopes were over? Who ever heard of Dion Grant before the one handed interception against FL? Then there were the one we knew to be pretty good players their first three seasons but who knew they would become part of Tn lore. Al Wilson, Shaun Ellis, Darwin Walker, Peerless Price and Cedric Wilson. And don't forget Tee Martin who was a terrible passer the first four games(under 40% passing) until the coaching staff threw caution to the wind and let him air it out after the knee injury to Lewis. After the GA game he was an all american.

The next season would be an all-star team that would under achieve. That is the ebb and flow of college football. Really nothing we discuss here is a science, if it was, we would all just ask the smartest guy in the room and we would know how all things would turn out. But what would be the fun in that?

I think if JRM would have been healthy last year it could have been a great year.
I hope someone steps into that role.

I am hopeful that Shoop will make a + impact this year. It has been said that defense wins games. Denver's D sure helped Peyton that last year. If we get some breaks and can stay healthy, who knows what can happen. We had some breaks go our way in '98. Go Vols

Reactions: 2 people
The 98 team was full of highly recruited players several deep. Almost like Bama has today. The departure of big name players made it seem the cupboard was bare when it was stocked. It took that talented team and some luck to win the NC.
We have talent on 121 but not as deep and developed as in 98. I believe our ceiling is SECEast. But I'll take it.

We will be ready for aNC when we can match Bama 3 deep. To get there we just need to keep moving forward in coaching and recruiting. Recruit in the top 10 year after year till luck comes your way. Watch LSU get lucky soon.

When Bama falls and Saben leaves, there will be a scramble for the top players in the SE. We want to be on top of the east when that happens. We will need to convince players we are the next dynasty. Then ride the wave.

For the most part its true. After the 97 season, 98 was supposed to be a drop off. The magic of that season was that so many players emerged as such before our eyes as the season wore on. Who ever heard of Travis Stephens and Travis Henry before J Lewis was lost and people thought the seasons hopes were over? Who ever heard of Dion Grant before the one handed interception against FL? Then there were the one we knew to be pretty good players their first three seasons but who knew they would become part of Tn lore. Al Wilson, Shaun Ellis, Darwin Walker, Peerless Price and Cedric Wilson. And don't forget Tee Martin who was a terrible passer the first four games(under 40% passing) until the coaching staff threw caution to the wind and let him air it out after the knee injury to Lewis. After the GA game he was an all american.

The next season would be an all-star team that would under achieve. That is the ebb and flow of college football. Really nothing we discuss here is a science, if it was, we would all just ask the smartest guy in the room and we would know how all things would turn out. But what would be the fun in that?

That was the ebb and flow of Phillip Fulmer.. Mostly ebbing and not much flowing.

If the team stays healthy=8-10 wins or more.
If injuries like the past=6-7 wins.
In my humble opinion, health is the biggest issue like many have said.
I agree no way should this team be compared to the '98 team. Way too many differences.

Reactions: 2 people
For all the pumpers who are not being realistic, I thought we could use a post like this since everyone seems to be relating the up coming season to the '98 season in all these other threads. Yes, we lost talent after last years season. Yes, in '98 graduation and draft took it's toll. Yes, everyone expected a NC in '97. Yes, everyone expected alot of success last year. No, outsiders were not expecting much for the '98 season (neither were many of us). Outsiders are not expecting much this year. But, because we did it in '98, we're gonna do it this year!

Realistic fans know this season is in no way, shape or fashion like the '98 team! Not to hamper the pumpers but it's not!

P.S., fwiw, tbh, FOW I'm not a Nega!

But it is like 1998.

It's exactly the same but different.

I kid.

It's not 1998, but it is like 1998.

New QB, can he/they move the program forward? I think either one could. The way they handle this adversity is on CBJ. Is he all talk, or are the players different in a better way due to being coached by Butch.

Selfish players may take sides.

We'll see how mature our guys are come Sept.

1998 was a mature team, 121 is a mature team.

I like our chances.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back