Conzo & Dooley

1. This thread should not be in the recruiting forum.
2. Cuonzo is a good coach. He almost got a terrible team (from a talent perspective) into the tournament last year.
3. Cuonzo's best player, arguably, is redshirting this season due to injury (again, he inherited a bad team with no depth).
4. He's recruited and signed Robert Hubbs, a top 20 player nationally.

Get over your sour grapes from losing to Ole Miss last night. They aren't a bad team.

Would this be blaming the "great" Bruce Pearl? If so, I agree! Bruce is a huge douche bag and always has been.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with all of that. Last time I checked, I couldn't predict the future and neither can anyone else I know. I didn't think last year's team would sweep Florida. Let's just see what happens before we talk about "firing someone.

This is where I'm at.

Last year started bad, people wanted him fired after 15 games. They turned things around went on a great streak and almost made the tourney.

This season has started better than last, but not as good as many would've hoped. I'll wait until seasons end to really give an evaluation of the job he has done.

Still a lot of basketball left to be played.

This is where I'm at.

Last year started bad, people wanted him fired after 15 games. They turned things around went on a great streak and almost made the tourney.

This season has started better than last, but not as good as many would've hoped. I'll wait until seasons end to really give an evaluation of the job he has done.

Still a lot of basketball left to be played.

Wanting him fired is.crazy but there is a lot to be worried about.

Hopefully next yr will be a great yr and spur Martin on to a great career.

Wanting him fired is.crazy but there is a lot to be worried about.

Hopefully next yr will be a great yr and spur Martin on to a great career.

There's definitely some questions, no doubt.

Honestly many people seem to be worried about his "coaching", I'd be more worried about his "recruiting" aspect of it.

As I broke down, talent wise this year we're around 7th...so anything better would be good coaching? Last year talent wise (after Jarnell addition) we were top 4...we finished 2, so good coaching job right? I don't know that it's that simple, but next years squad will have plenty of talent, I'm ready to see how this season ends and next years goes.

6 of our 10 man rotation didn't have a SEC offer, think about that...out of 11 healthy scholarship players 4, that's FOUR, had SEC offers.

Last edited:
Watch out, some people worship him on this board.

Which I find hilarious. I knew/worked with Bruce in Milwaukee and he was the biggest snake. I hated it when TN hired him because I knew it was only a matter of time before he did something to get us in trouble. Water under the bridge now, but I think long term CCM is much better for the program.

There's definitely some questions, no doubt.

Honestly many people seem to be worried about his "coaching", I'd be more worried about his "recruiting" aspect of it.

As I broke down, talent wise this year we're around 7th...so anything better would be good coaching? Last year talent wise (after Jarnell addition) we were top 4...we finished 2, so good coaching job right? I don't know that it's that simple, but next years squad will have plenty of talent, I'm ready tio see how this season ends and next years goes.

6 of our 10 man rotation didn't have a SEC offer, think about that...out of 11 healthy scholarship players 4, that's FOUR, had SEC offers.

I'm more worried about his recruiting.....still have concerns.about.his coaching but recruiting is by far my biggest worry.

Amazing how some people have their noses up Zo's butt like they did with DD. Trying to deny reality. Here is reality.

1. The further we get from Pearl's coaching the worse the team does.

2. The further we get from Fulmer's coaching the worse the team does.

Quit making a bunch of lame excuses for losing and start expecting better recruits, better coaching and WINNING GAMES!

3. Being realistic is not the same as being disloyal to the Big Orange. Being unrealistic leads to PROLONGED losing.

You are wrong about Pearl having less talent his 1st year. He had JaJuan Smith, Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw and CJ Watson on that team.

you realize Jujuan was a walk on right ? the other 3 we not stars coming out of high school.

Amazing how some people have their noses up Zo's butt like they did with DD. Trying to deny reality. Here is reality.

1. The further we get from Pearl's coaching the worse the team does.

2. The further we get from Fulmer's coaching the worse the team does.

Quit making a bunch of lame excuses for losing and start expecting better recruits, better coaching and WINNING GAMES!

3. Being realistic is not the same as being disloyal to the Big Orange. Being unrealistic leads to PROLONGED losing.

So, you don't think the program started on a downward trend under Fulmer? What team were you watching?

Martin hasn't been here long enough to get a fair gauge. If he hasn't gotten to the NCAA tourney by next year then his job status will be reviewed. If you think he's going to get fired after this year then you aren't paying attention.

I have no doubts that if Fulmer had been given this 4 or 5 years he could have done better. Taj Boyd would have been our quarterback for starters.

But the point is we have not recruited the caliber and experience in coaching we needed except for Pearl.

It is what it is and if you deny it forever it does not change it. We are on a down hill slide and we cannot get the quality coach we need to turn our programs around. Everybody thought we could fire Fulmer and get someone like Saban, etc...WRONG.

A coach needs to be a motivator. DD and ZO are not. Just screaming or scowling alone does not motivate or attract the quality recruits that we need to succeed in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
Talking about getting rid of Cuonzo at this point is just ridiculous. He is barely into his second season. Give him some time.

I agree with most of the comments but the fact is Cunzo is a medicore coach Dooley was aweful the longer you wait the worse it gets just look at Tennessee football. Cunzo is out of his league for sure. Stop the bleeding now or in another year we will be like the football team.

you realize Jujuan was a walk on right ? the other 3 we not stars coming out of high school.

JaJuan should've been on scholarship, Lofton was Mr. Basketball in Kentucky, Bradshaw was runner up to Lee Humphrey for that award in Tennessee, and Watson was player of the year two years in a row for Nevada and a Parade All-American. They were no slouches.

Which I find hilarious. I knew/worked with Bruce in Milwaukee and he was the biggest snake. I hated it when TN hired him because I knew it was only a matter of time before he did something to get us in trouble. Water under the bridge now, but I think long term CCM is much better for the program.

Always a danger sign when opposing fans like your coach.

1. This thread should not be in the recruiting forum.
2. Cuonzo is a good coach. He almost got a terrible team (from a talent perspective) into the tournament last year.
3. Cuonzo's best player, arguably, is redshirting this season due to injury (again, he inherited a bad team with no depth).
4. He's recruited and signed Robert Hubbs, a top 20 player nationally.

Get over your sour grapes from losing to Ole Miss last night. They aren't a bad team.

Moral victories, yay

You are wrong about Pearl having less talent his 1st year. He had JaJuan Smith, Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw and CJ Watson on that team.

As its been said before they weren't stars coming outta high school, they were coached to stardom by Pearl IMO. I know I know I'm stupid, I'm not a fan, and I don't know what I'm talking about!! I get it, just typing my thoughts and opinion!! It's not gospel and I have no concrete sources!!!

I like Martin and I hope he does well here
It does crack me up that I keep reading, Pearl couldn't coach/coach players up and couldn't evaluate talent. 20+ wins and 6 straight NCAA appearances without being able to do those things? I understand the Martin support, but give Pearl his due. He took us to places UT hadn't been before. Hopefully Martin can get us back there. If we flop next year with the talent we will have, then we have a problem. He gets a semi pass this year with injuries, though they do need to show some improvement. Which honestly we haven't seen yet. I understand it's Martins personality, but a little more fire would be nice. It seems as though, Josh and Jordy aside, players are showing the same chill demeanor. No urgency, no passion. Henderson for Ole Miss probably will annoy every fan base, but I like the kids fire and love for the game. And his team fed off of him, we could use an injection of that. Jmho

Our fans sometimes are a disgrace, you wanna fire a 2nd year coach who is 8-5, playing without his best player, and his team was 2nd in the sec last year. Not only that but they wanna a lier and a cheater to come back and coach the team. It's very embarrassing reading these boards somtimes.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back