Conference Realignments

Options are getting slim at this point. If ACC teams aren't an option, WVU is probably the next best choice in the east (that's not saying much).

Get Pitt if that is what they wanted. They are reaching on this.

i almost think they didn't have a plan or didn't have a backup plan

Slive might have wanted to wait on the Big 12 to fall apart but the ACC moves might have forced his hand to act now

Oh my God. Surely Slive can do better than West Virginia! I have a hard time believing FSU/VT wouldn't accept.

SEC going after that much coveted W. Virginia TV market. Makes sense to me.

TV markets don't guarantee that people turn them on. If we wanted a big TV market we could go toward Memphis or Houston, but that assumes people would actually watch the teams, which we know they don't. WVU has a national following and people all over the country watch them. Pretty good addition if they do become #14. Their fans travel, and love football.

Reactions: 1 person
part of me thinks he might have wanted missouri but they told him no as long as the big 12 is still standing

TV markets don't guarantee that people turn them on. If we wanted a big TV market we could go toward Memphis or Houston, but that assumes people would actually watch the teams, which we know they don't. WVU has a national following and people all over the country watch them. Pretty good addition if they do become #14. Their fans travel, and love football.

you want tie the TV market with the team that is watched by the city. Houston doesn't care about the cougars. Memphis cares more about Ole Miss and Tennessee in football than it does the Tigers.....and that said, the Memphis market is even smaller than the nashville media market (which is about 38th by the way)

national followings don't do very much at all in these cases unless they are absolutely huge

...wait, is there any chance they didn't do this necessarily because we said we'd take them but because they're afraid their conference is falling apart so they rushed an application through to submit?

IMO, best case scenario for the SEC at this point is to take Texas A&M and West Virginia and STOP AT 14.

- Adding only aTm and WVU allows us to keep our current east and west divisions (which is a very big deal for keeping the TN/AL rivalry). I'd rather add aTm + WVU and keep our Bama rivalry than add aTm + Mizzou and lose our Bama rivalry.
- Adding more teams beyond aTm and WVU just dilutes our product. With ACC teams off the table, there aren't really many other options out there where we get a solid program that also brings a good tv market. So why take two more just to get to 16?
- The SEC is plenty respected the way it is, so we're never going to fall behind just because other conferences have gone to 16 while we have stayed at 14. We will have expanded enough to ensure we're keeping up with the times, but we won't be expanding (and thus losing current traditions) any more than is necessary.

It doesn't have to be 4 superconferences of 16. It can be 3 superconferences of 16 and 1 superconference of 14. Let the ACC go to 16 (Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers). Let the Pac 1X go to 16 (Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, TT). And let the Big Ten go to 16 (Missouri, Kansas, Notre Dame, someone else). But we can just stay at 14.

Last edited:
Maybe we'll still take them if the Pac-12 goes to 16?

i hope....it'd be a big gain market wise (&teams are at least decent, especially for the Bball enthusiasts), draws a line on the Big 10's future expansions further south (& sticks it to them at the same time)...pretty much would fit well too

TV was floated as the reason for adding A&M. I disagree that WVU is a national team on par with the upper SEC, Big 10, or even ND. Fans mean nothing in these restructurings.

I hate the whole thing. If it were someone actually in the southeast, it would make it somewhat better.

IMO, best case scenario for the SEC at this point is to take Texas A&M and West Virginia and STOP AT 14.

- Adding only aTm and WVU allows us to keep our current east and west divisions (which is a very big deal for keeping the TN/AL rivalry). I'd rather add aTm + WVU and keep our Bama rivalry than add aTm + Mizzou and lose our Bama rivalry.
- Adding more teams beyond aTm and WVU just dilutes our product. With ACC teams off the table, there aren't really many other options out there where we get a solid program that also brings a good tv market. So why take two more just to get to 16?
- The SEC is plenty respected the way it is, so we're never going to fall behind just because other conferences have gone to 16 while we have stayed at 14. We will have expanded enough to ensure we're keeping up with the times, but we won't be expanding (and thus losing current traditions) any more than is necessary.

It doesn't have to be 4 superconferences of 16. It can be 3 superconferences of 16 and 1 superconference of 14. Let the ACC go to 16 (Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers). Let the Pac 1X go to 16 (Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, TT). And let the Big Ten go to 16 (Missouri, Kansas, Notre Dame, someone else). But we can just stay at 14.

you do realize we do that, we immediately fall to where the Pac-10/ACC previously was as far as the money the universities are getting goes

the big 10 already gets i think it's 50 million more than the SEC (5 million more per school).....you give them St. Louis, Kansas City, and New York City.....geez don't even want to think of where that number jumps to

I know geography has nothing to do with this and that WV is officially considered to be in the south, but the idea of adding a state that seceded from a Confederate state is sort of ironic.

you do realize we do that, we immediately fall to where the Pac-10/ACC previously was as far as the money the universities are getting goes

the big 10 already gets i think it's 50 million more than the SEC (5 million more per school).....you give them St. Louis, Kansas City, and New York City.....geez don't even want to think of where that number jumps to

No. Because the SEC will still have Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. The old Pac 10 and ACC had sh*tty contracts because they were 1-team conferences in most years. The SEC's national TV deals with CBS and ESPN have nothing to do with market footprint and everything to do with the quality of teams in the conference.

But let's say the SEC decides to take aTm, WVU, and Mizzou. Once you take 15, you're basically committed to going to 16. Who is your 16th team? Everybody in the ACC is off-limits (nobody's paying a $20 million buyout). So who should the SEC take (and split its money with)? South Florida? TCU? Kansas? Louisville? Memphis? East Carolina? None of those teams bring anything in terms of quality or tv markets.

TV was floated as the reason for adding A&M. I disagree that WVU is a national team on par with the upper SEC, Big 10, or even ND. Fans mean nothing in these restructurings.

I hate the whole thing. If it were someone actually in the southeast, it would make it somewhat better.

I agree with all of what you just said - to be clear I didn't mean that WVU would come in and dominate, I just meant I thought they would be competitive over time. Would they be worse than Arkansas or South Carolina were when they joined the conference?

Brace yourselves, we are going to 16 teams. I look for the SEC to make Texas A&M, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and either Virginia or Florida State new members of the SEC.

WVU is a good program and will be competitive. I just think they belong in another conference and are not of interest to the current SEC fanbases.

Brace yourselves, we are going to 16 teams. I look for the SEC to make Texas A&M, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and either Virginia or Florida State new members of the SEC.

I would like those additions.

TCU may come in here somewhere as an alternate option for team 15/16. Solid academics, great football program, solid in baseball IIRC, and D-FW TV market. Definitely feel like they'd deserve some consideration, at least.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Why Virginia AND Virginia Tech? Is the state of Virginia that great? If we can get them out of the ACC, I'd aim for one of those two and NC State. We missed on the Pittsburgh ship

Why Virginia AND Virginia Tech? Is the state of Virginia that great? If we can get them out of the ACC, I'd aim for one of those two and NC State. We missed on the Pittsburgh ship

Rumor has it they are attached like OU+OK St. Package deal or neither.

VN Store

Back