Conference Realignments

should we blame Texas for this too? They spent the week at least talking to the ACC...maybe that got them interested enough in expansion (after texas became a clear, inevitable unlikelihood) to decide they needed to make the first moves?

Off topic...gordonr24..I see you are from Collierville. I spent the last 7 years of public schooling in the area. Went to Collierville Middle for 3 years, when it was where the high school is now. Went to High School at Houston. Family lived of Frank Rd.

Off topic...gordonr24..I see you are from Collierville. I spent the last 7 years of public schooling in the area. Went to Collierville Middle for 3 years, when it was where the high school is now. Went to High School at Houston. Family lived of Frank Rd.

I went to Collierville Middle and Collierville High. Graduated in 2010. Live in the Wolf Ridge Subdivision
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We lived in Houston Downs for 19yrs. I was only there for 7 of them, then I moved to UTK.

Last edited:
My grandparents lived in Houston Downs on Barnhill and moved from there in 1998 I believe.

Actually, once I realized how old I really am, it was 19 yrs. :eek:lol: We lived on Country Place Dr East. Moved in in 1986 and left in 2004.

Actually, once I realized how old I really am, it was 19 yrs. :eek:lol: We lived on Country Place Dr East. Moved in in 1985 and left in 2004.

Isn't that interesting. What year did you graduate from Houston?

Cold day in hell before texas joins tamu in the sec. Acc is stacking up, so I'd say their teams are off limits. Sec goes for missouri, west virginia and... No idea for who else to join.

if they're going to do anything, they might need to move a bit faster

...realization I just had is the Big East actually falling apart would mean Notre Dame has to find another conference. If so, the Big 10 is going to be all over the open schools, finding another team as they make a push for Notre Dame to become a member

and it sounds like there are some overlap in invite interests

It sucks that Pittsburgh is going to ACC. They are just up the road the from Morgantown. Could have been a solid addition for the SEC East.

With ACC teams off the table and needing another East team to pair with WV, what about Cincinnati? They're only an hour and a half away from Lexington and it adds another state. They have an enrollment of 40,000. Only problem is their stadium seats 35,000. If they're willing to expand their stadium, it might be worth considering.

Another idea is ECU. They aren't traditionally a powerhouse in sports but their stadium already seats 50,00 and they're in the process of expanding to 62,000.

A couple of thoughts based on what has been stated in this thread already. Texas A&M sounds like a done deal, which Slive should go ahead and ink. As for #s 14-16:

Mizzou - good idea. They bring the St. Louis and KC TV markets, a good football program that has the potential to recruit and compete, they would be a good geographic fit in the west.

WV - decent idea, especially to get us to 15 or 16. They have a solid national following, and would be a great cultural fit.

NC State - decent idea, but not sure they have the fanbase to really thrive in the SEC. It would get us a NC presence however.

UNC + Duke - not going to happen. They will claim academics and that the ACC is such a strong conference, but they would not be able to compete except for basketball. This is a football-driven decision. They don't have the fan bases to support an SEC move in football. Plus they like running the show in the ACC, and would be at the bottom of the SEC every year.

Oklahoma - good idea, but sound like they are already PAC-bound. If we could get them without OK St., that would be huge, but doesn't sound like that is an option.

Texas - very bad idea. Their prima donna attitude has been the downfall of the Big12, and besides that, they like being a big fish in a small pond. Plus they aren't giving up the LHN.

B12 and BE leftovers (USF, Louisville, Cincy, TX Tech, OK St., K-State, Iowa St., Baylor) - all bad ideas. None of these schools bring anything to the SEC that we don't already have.

The only worry with Mizzou is if the Big 10 wakes up in this to go after Notre Dame (who's losing the basement where they keep their other sports in the big east), if so and the think it's a possibility, they might well go right after Mizzou as that other team

I got super bored and decided to come up with my own conferences...

The blue dot signifies teams that are new to the conference. I didn't include MAC and Sunbelt because no changes were made.

Attachments

• conf.jpg
    conf.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 18
LOL at the Big 16 division names

I still think it's headed toward 4 microdivisions within 4-5 conferences of 16.

West Virginia has sent it's letter of application into the SEC.

The PacTen will allow Texas to keep the LHN and looks to be heading to the Pac Ten with Oklahoma and OK State.

It's being reported that UConn is really pushing for the ACC too.

Can you imagine how nasty the ACC would be in basketball?

VN Store

Back