Conference Realignments

OU is stuck in a bad position now. This won't affect A&M though. They're leaving regardless.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Mizzou wanted out last year before there was talk of OU moving to the Pac-X. I don't see why they'd change their minds about the Big XII now.

Hearing that OU is already re-connecting with Mike Slive to discuss a possible move to the SEC. Would the SEC accept both Oklahoma schools?

Hearing that OU is already re-connecting with Mike Slive to discuss a possible move to the SEC. Would the SEC accept both Oklahoma schools?

I think Slive would take both Oklahomas. Add Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Texas AM. That would lock up most of the TVs from Houston north to Kansas City over to St Louis. I like it

SEC West
LSU
Texas AM
Oklahoma
OK State
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Miss State
Missouri

SEC East
Vandy
Kentucky
Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
South Carolina

Mizzou wanted out last year before there was talk of OU moving to the Pac-X. I don't see why they'd change their minds about the Big XII now.

Because their whole policy with all this (even the recent talk and news) was that they would leave for the SEC in the case/situation that the big 12 dismantled

OU is stuck in a bad position now. This won't affect A&M though. They're leaving regardless.

OU wanted this; didn't you see their list of demands that the commish be forced out and the big 12 network be restricted?

You want a crazy piece of info I was just sent?

The Pac12 decision puts the chances of Texas A&M and Syracuse/Pitt moving to new conferences at around 50%. More likely that A&M still moves, unlikely that Pitt and Syracuse do.

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said, “after careful review we have determined that it is in the best interests of our member institutions, student-athletes and fans to remain a 12-team conference.

Whoever writes these things has a sense of humor.

I'm seeing a bit about how the big issue was the Pac12 didn't want to take OU without the longhorns....presuming if that's the case that means Texas negotiations got all held up and just caused the Pac 12 to walk away from it all entirely

TIFWIW

edit: right, to a degree per ESPN's Andy Katz

The Pac-12 decided it won't expand further late Tuesday because commissioner Larry Scott failed to get assurance that Texas would back an equal revenue sharing plan if the league added the Longhorns, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, a source with direct knowledge told ESPN.com.

Last edited:
Why would the ACC, now, dismiss Syracuse and Pitt, at this point?

Because they took them under the presumption that there would be 14/16 team conferences across the board.

Their media partners have let them know that if the landscape doesn't change, neither will the amount they're willing to pay for media rights. At most, it would be a modest increase for a minimal amount of additional events. So they're left trying to split their current revenue two more ways. That's not a math equation that the current schools are going to like.

Most CFB writers have already said Slive wants OU but not OK St., which is impossible to do because they're pretty much joined at the hip.

8-game conf. schedule with A&M is impossible. Obviously I'd prefer we kick them back to the B12, but it's not happening. At this point, lets go ahead and take Mizzou and make it 14 and a 9-game schedule.

Their media partners have let them know that if the landscape doesn't change, neither will the amount they're willing to pay for media rights. At most, it would be a modest increase for a minimal amount of additional events. So they're left trying to split their current revenue two more ways. That's not a math equation that the current schools are going to like.

I don't quite follow why the value of a conference TV package should be linked to what happens to a different conference on the other end of the continent.

That said, does your premise once again raise the possibility that adding Texas AM might not necessarily result in a sizable increase in the SEC's TV revenues?

I would like that if the SEC goes to 16. A&M, Mizzou, OU and OSU would be a nice haul IMO. Certainly better than ECU, Louisville, WVU and USF.

Just like the sec was committed to staying at 12 a couple weeks ago?

Exactly. The Pac 12 just doesn't want to expand this very minute. I'm sure once the season is over it'll all heat back up again.

It's inevitable that these conferences will end up with 16 teams a piece when it's all said and done.

If Texas is refusing to budge on TV, isn't the Big 12 eventually doomed to fail?

maybe; but i don't see where else Texas can go at this point. If Bebe's fired, they'll have to make some concessions

(I think they need a year or 2 of money from this network before they're in a position where they can consider/decide to go independent)

I would like that if the SEC goes to 16. A&M, Mizzou, OU and OSU would be a nice haul IMO. Certainly better than ECU, Louisville, WVU and USF.

I love it! Using Clay Travis' "Pod" alignment, this works out phenomenally.

SEC West
Arkansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

SEC Central
LSU
Miss. State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

SEC South
Alabama