Collierville coach resigns after video surfaces

I guess I have always had a different approach to coaching. Granted I have only coached/am coaching HS tennis and baseball, I never found a scenario where I needed to flood a practice meeting with loads of profanity.

WIth that said, neither of those sports are violent like football, and I am aware that a different mindset is needed than tennis.
I am in the camp of being leaders of young men, and being a role model. I'm not saying my practices have never had a trace of profanity or "loud discipline", but I just don't coach like this guy or "a John Gruden".

If Tony Dungy can exclude this type of behavior while coaching, so can I. It's tough to ask kids to maintan discipline, work hard in the classroom, and then their sovereign leader sounds like that.

Do I think my generation and lower are soft, without a doubt. Would I allow my son to play for a coach who speaks that way, probably. The man can run his camp however he pleases. To each their own.

But, I have to admit, if a kid was secretly recording me, just waiting on a mistake...I'd have to stomp my "leaders of men spiel" like a terrible towel!

Herman Boone said it best, "this is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship". Do as I say not do as I do
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Calkins hit it right on the head in the CA yesterday... this is absolutely ridiculous.

I mean, Jesus, can you imagine some of these punks playing for someone like Knight or Saban?

Last edited:
Has anyone seen Year of the Bull, the documentary about Miami-Northwestern High School? This guy doesn't have ish on those coaches.

Year of the Bull (a High Football Documentary film) - YouTube

Those sorry ass kids collierville wouldn't last a day at this high school. The kids would punk them out before the coaches would!!

I had never watched this video before. As much as I stated I was "in the middle" on this subject, albeit I coach the complete opposite, this is disgusting to me.

If I saw a coach do this to a player, and it wasn't in personal (physical) defense of him or his players, I would be pissed...as a coach, player, or parent.

If the kid doesnt want to run a drill, thats fine, he doesnt play....D1 prospect or 3rd string. All that macho pissing contest is a complete joke...with a runner up to the coaches finally acting like men when they realized they crossed too many lines.

*I would also be reluctant to be swinging at young adults, when I am outnumbered 11:1 and they are equipped with cleats, pads, and a helmet.

Last edited:
I had never watched this video before. As much as I stated I was "in the middle" on this subject, albeit I coach the complete opposite, this is disgusting to me.

If I saw a coach do this to a player, and it wasn't in personal (physical) defense of him or his players, I would be pissed...as a coach, player, or parent

If the kid doesnt want to run a drill, thats fine, he doesnt play....D1 prospect or 3rd string. All that macho pissing contest is a complete joke...with a runner up to the coaches finally acting like men when they realized they crossed too many lines.

*I would also be reluctant to be swinging at young adults, when I am outnumbered 11:1
and they are equipped with cleats, pads,
and a helmet.

Two good friends of mine, one played in the early 80's in KY and one in the early to mid 60's out in OK. Both had head coaches that were former Marines and the stories they told me ain't got nothing on Collierville or the school in south Florida. Times change I
reckon. And so do kids and parents. If I had a son and coach crawl off in his ass, he better not female dog about it or I'll crawl up there with his coach.

Calkins hit it right on the head in the CA yesterday... this is absolutely ridiculous.

I mean, Jesus, can you imagine some of these punks playing for someone like Knight or Saban?

This guy turned out to be a pretty good coach. Oh and NSFW.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7KijRfU-c[/youtube]

Last edited:
This guy turned out to be a pretty good coach. Oh and NSFW.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7KijRfU-c[/youtube]

"Oh no, my son will never play for a coach like that" (sarcasm).

I won't dispute that bon knight , John gruden, or nick saban aren't all great coaches. I just prefer to coach a different way. I some kids actually respond well to that type of coaching.

I just think dropping 20 f bombs in less than 5 minutes, to people half your age, is a deficiency in communication as a coach.

That video with the coach going after that kid is just garbage. Get in his face, push him to the physical and mental limit, fine. Begging him to "say it again" and then imposing physical violence is ignorance and uncalled for.

I just listened to the audio. I don't see what the big deal is. Yelling and curse words? That's it?

Blaming a kid wanting to put tape on his shoes for ruining a good football team is laughable. I bet good coaches don't let kids tape their shoes. If this was the pregame motivational speech, he failed.

"You want to be an individual, go play f'n golf." LMAO

VN Store

Back