College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years

Unsustainable.

NCAA should cap coaches at $1 million. Don't like it? Go pro the pros.

Lower tickets and give more money to the institutions.

Almost all of the highest-paid coaches aren't being paid out of ticket revenue. They are floated by a handful of donors.

Even then, staff salaries aren't really the problem. Bama pays $16-17 million for their football coaches, but they make more than $40 million just from the SEC TV contract.

I can remember when each game was a stand alone event. It meant something to beat your rivals, even if you had no shot at the championship. That has been lost over the last 25 or 30 years.

I started watching 25 years ago, so I don't know what to compare it to, but it sure seems like it's a really big deal to beat play and beat your rivals, no matter what kind of season you are having.

interesting point. it doesn't matter if we beat UGA and UF if we still lose to the two teams in the west. I can see that having an impact.

That's true, assuming that one of the two doesn't lose another game. In 26 years of the SECCG, it's only happened once that a team went unbeaten in their division, but didn't go to Atlanta because they lost their cross-division games.

Think about prior to division play. Every season UT played:

Auburn
Bama
Ole Miss
UK
Vandy

Then played 2 of the remaining 4 (LSU, UF, UGA, Miss St.)

UT rarely played UF or UGA prior to divisional play.

I've got the solution. Prepare to be amazed.

Introducing...

Stadium Seat Lottery!

It's like nothing you've ever heard or seen before now.

Under each seat is a Bitcoin address pre-loaded with x amount.

Using Near Field Communication tech, the ticket holder must swipe their matching stub and the address appears on it.

Every ticket is a winner of various amounts. Most will be smaller amounts but a few will be larger amounts.

You never know which one you'll get. Will it only be enough for a pack of gum, enough to pay the tax, enough for fuel to the stadium, enough to pay for the ticket itself, or will you win the grand prize?

There's only one way to find out and that way solves the attendance problem.

The buzz generated and the monetary incentive quickly increases attendance, sales, profit, and revenue.

Come to Neyland and cheer on your Vols this season. As if the game day excitement isn't a rewarding enough experience for you already... you could be sitting on a fortune!

I'm curious as what's the numbers for the MAC and Sun Belt,and if all those Tuesday/Wednesday night games late in the season plays an factor in things.

I started watching 25 years ago, so I don't know what to compare it to, but it sure seems like it's a really big deal to beat play and beat your rivals, no matter what kind of season you are having.

Not nearly as much as it used to be. In 2016 we ended a long losing streak to Florida and beat Georgia in dramatic fashion, yet most fans, myself included look back on the season as a disappointment because of the vandy and SCjr games. Auburn beat their two biggest rivals this past season and played in the seccg, yet a large segment of their fan base is ready to run CGM out of town.

Not nearly as much as it used to be. In 2016 we ended a long losing streak to Florida and beat Georgia in dramatic fashion, yet most fans, myself included look back on the season as a disappointment because of the vandy and SCjr games. Auburn beat their two biggest rivals this past season and played in the seccg, yet a large segment of their fan base is ready to run CGM out of town.

Beating your biggest rival in the midst of an otherwise mediocre season shouldn't be a coach-saving kind of victory unless you're a program on the level of Vandy or Mississippi St.

So you're saying Vols fans were thrilled with with the '84 season (7-4-1) because they beat Bama?

Vandy and SCjr are rivals, too. That's part of why losing to them pissed everybody off about the season.

So you're saying Vols fans were thrilled with with the '84 season (7-4-1) because they beat Bama?

Vandy and SCjr are rivals, too. That's part of why losing to them pissed everybody off about the season.

not really. we were pissed because we "shouldn't" have lost to them. we don't celebrate when we beat them, never going to rush the field or celebrate in the stands until they kick us out for beating Vandy or SC

I'm curious as what's the numbers for the MAC and Sun Belt,and if all those Tuesday/Wednesday night games late in the season plays an factor in things.

Well, to your point, you have to factor in the new teams added to D-1A or whatever they call it now. These aren't the blue-bloods. They're the teams with 30,000 seat stadiums. So the average HAS to go down as you add teams with small stadiums.

Still, the P5 numbers are down. All the games are on TV. Neyland is cramped, etc. etc.

Reactions: 1 person
Old Dominion cheats the system. I've been to almost every home game the past four years. I bet we've had 6 real sellouts.

However, the owner of ADS (or CEO, or something along those lines) buys every unsold ticket (for what I'm told is a drastically reduced price) to give out to the military. Old Dominion is located in Norfolk, VA, site of the world's largest naval base and lots of other bases in the area. This gives ODU the ability to claim 58 straight sellouts or something like that. It's really kinda cheap imo, but cool that the military can get free tix.

Old Dominion cheats the system. I've been to almost every home game the past four years. I bet we've had 6 real sellouts.

However, the owner of ADS (or CEO, or something along those lines) buys every unsold ticket (for what I'm told is a drastically reduced price) to give out to the military. Old Dominion is located in Norfolk, VA, site of the world's largest naval base and lots of other bases in the area. This gives ODU the ability to claim 58 straight sellouts or something like that. It's really kinda cheap imo, but cool that the military can get free tix.

There's a "failure to show" percentage that you must take into account. Like when UT played Southern Miss in Nov. and the attendance was announced as 95,551 you, me, and everyone with a pulse knew there weren't 95,551 people within a 2 mile radius of Neyland Stadium. But that's how many tickets were distributed. If 15% "failed to show" that lowers that number to the low 80,000's.

There's a "failure to show" percentage that you must take into account. Like when UT played Southern Miss in Nov. and the attendance was announced as 95,551 you, me, and everyone with a pulse knew there weren't 95,551 people within a 2 mile radius of Neyland Stadium. But that's how many tickets were distributed. If 15% "failed to show" that lowers that number to the low 80,000's.

not really. All that matters, all that's being discussed is ticket sales. ODU doesn't sell out in the prototypical way. Perhaps I should add that the ADS guy was most often not able to give away all the tickets he bought. Other schools just simply were not selling out.

not really. All that matters, all that's being discussed is ticket sales. ODU doesn't sell out in the prototypical way. Perhaps I should add that the ADS guy was most often not able to give away all the tickets he bought. Other schools just simply were not selling out.

The bottom line is attendance is down, no matter how you got there. Your booster at ODU actually skews the number (to your point) but not enough to really matter.

The gross numbers are automatically going to be lower with the new schools in D-1A. Those 10-20 aren't drawing squat and that adds a little to the total. Add in the P-5 declines and that's how you got here.

The bottom line is attendance is down, no matter how you got there. Your booster at ODU actually skews the number (to your point) but not enough to really matter.

The gross numbers are automatically going to be lower with the new schools in D-1A. Those 10-20 aren't drawing squat and that adds a little to the total. Add in the P-5 declines and that's how you got here.

You literally didn't address anything. You just reposted that we got here.

You literally didn't address anything. You just reposted that we got here.

I did in a previous post. All the games are on TV...in HD. The stadiums are cramped, etc.

It's much easier to watch the games at home. And face it, if you want to "see" the game it's much easier to see the game on TV with the camera angles and replays.

VN Store

Back