College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years

You think Big 10 attendance is down because of Ohio State? Wisconsin and Penn State have both been nationally relevant recently.

PAC-12 attendance has always been spotty, with or without a dominant program.

To VSF’s point, I think Bama coming to town helps attendance instead of hurting it.

It's proven that MJ improved attendance figures during his NBA prime. The Nets literally used him for advertising because their regular attendance was so bad. Fans know they're team isn't going to the playoffs, but they know Bama probably is and this dynasty is something to see if you get the chance. So just as they show up for Alabama, they stay home when they know they aren't watching a future champion.

I think it has an effect. Other teams suck by comparison and by the midpoint if the season apathy sets in. Why spend money to go watch your team play a meaningless game? The champion, conference standing, playoff picture has all but been established minus a major upset or miracle.

UT and every team from the west plays Bama every year. Bama destroys every team they play, minus the occasional year Auburn pulls a win out. Other teams don’t want to go watch that, and after the second loss most years that means you are playing for a bowl game at best. Any team playing Bama means they are one in the hole before the season even starts.

All these other teams, including UT need to step up. And until they do, fan apathy will be what it is and attendance will suffer.

I can remember when each game was a stand alone event. It meant something to beat your rivals, even if you had no shot at the championship. That has been lost over the last 25 or 30 years.

Reactions: 2 people
It's proven that MJ improved attendance figures during his NBA prime. The Nets literally used him for advertising because their regular attendance was so bad. Fans know they're team isn't going to the playoffs, but they know Bama probably is and this dynasty is something to see if you get the chance. So just as they show up for Alabama, they stay home when they know they aren't watching a future champion.

True. Personally though, the Bama game is one I’m not going to. UT has been a disaster for a decade. I went to the game that was Fulmers last game against Bama and after seeing 30k Bama fans sing rammer jammer in Neyland I said to myself never again. Not interested in seeing UT get routed. I’ll watch on TV instead of paying money to go see it.

Once we decide to get our act together and make a game of it I might find it financially worth it and go back.

Last edited:
You think Big 10 attendance is down because of Ohio State? Wisconsin and Penn State have both been nationally relevant recently.

PAC-12 attendance has always been spotty, with or without a dominant program.

To VSF’s point, I think Bama coming to town helps attendance instead of hurting it.

Relevant or not. It’s Interesting you bring up PSU. They won the conference and OSU still made it to the playoffs. How can you not have apathy at that point? Arguments aside on PSU losing two games that year, it goes back to my argument...it’s boring seeing the same thing every year. I think attendance is a reflection of that to a certain degree.

Some stadiums are larger than others and some fan bases are more enthusiastic than others. Bama coming to town once every two years isn’t going to make that much of a dent on increasing attendance numbers.

Relevant or not. It’s Interesting you bring up PSU. They won the conference and OSU still made it to the playoffs. How can you not have apathy at that point? Arguments aside on PSU losing two games that year, it goes back to my argument...it’s boring seeing the same thing every year. I think attendance is a reflection of that to a certain degree.

Some stadiums are larger than others and some fan bases are more enthusiastic than others. Bama coming to town once every two years isn’t going to make that much of a dent on increasing attendance numbers.

Penn State’s football program was on life support after the Sandusky fiasco.

You’re suggesting their fans are apathetic following a Big 10 title in 2016, followed by an 11-win season and a Heisman run by Barkley...man those PSU fans had nothing to show up for last season. :eek:lol:

I can remember when each game was a stand alone event. It meant something to beat your rivals, even if you had no shot at the championship. That has been lost over the last 25 or 30 years.

This is one of the unintended consequences of having a true "champion". Before the SEC CG it was all about the rivalries. Now everyone is focussed on getting to ATL.

Penn State’s football program was on life support after the Sandusky fiasco.

You’re suggesting their fans are apathetic following a Big 10 title in 2016, followed by an 11-win season and a Heisman run by Barkley...man those PSU fans had nothing to show up for last season. :eek:lol:

No, I'm suggesting its nationwide. I made a comment about CF in general, you know, the topic of this thread. You're trying to tie it down to specific examples. It's easy to point to specific examples.

PSU fans have a lot to show up for. OSU fans have a lot to show up for. Bama fans have a lot to show up for. Clemson fans have a lot to show up for.

CF in general obviously doesn't. My point is if you are not one of the blue bloods, or your team has been down for years, apathy sets in. When its the same teams every year, fans of the other teams begin not to care. They will still watch the games, buy merchandise, and root for their teams. But at some point they are going to make the decision that maybe it isn't financially worth it to actually go to the game unless there is something significant riding on it.

The idea is not as laughable as you think.

No, I'm suggesting its nationwide. I made a comment about CF in general, you know, the topic of this thread. You're trying to tie it down to specific examples. It's easy to point to specific examples.

PSU fans have a lot to show up for. OSU fans have a lot to show up for. Bama fans have a lot to show up for. Clemson fans have a lot to show up for.

CF in general obviously doesn't. My point is if you are not one of the blue bloods, or your team has been down for years, apathy sets in. When its the same teams every year, fans of the other teams begin not to care. They will still watch the games, buy merchandise, and root for their teams. But at some point they are going to make the decision that maybe it isn't financially worth it to actually go to the game unless there is something significant riding on it.

The idea is not as laughable as you think.

It’s laughable to suggest PSU fans should be apathetic after getting left out of the CFP two seasons ago, then in the next post say their fans have plenty to show up for.

And I believe it was you who brought up Alabama as a specific example as to why CFB attendance is down.

Last edited:
It’s laughable to suggest PSU fans should be apathetic after getting left out of the CFP two seasons ago, then in the next post say their fans have plenty to show up for.

And I believe it was you who brought up Alabama as a specific example as to why CFB attendance is down.

Did you even bother to read the rest of that? Let me re-quote the rest of what I said:

...Arguments aside on PSU losing two games that year, it goes back to my argument...it’s boring seeing the same thing every year. I think attendance is a reflection of that to a certain degree

You're right is laughable, but I didn't do that. Go back and read again. Nationwide teams look at the PSU case and say "WTF?". Especially after how OSU got rolled. I never said PSU fans specifically are apathetic. I would have stated as such.

Second, the original stats were of the SEC. I was staying in that arena.

Look - I stated my opinion. If you don't agree, cool. I'm not sure what you are getting at here by searching and creating made-up inconsistencies.

Look - I stated my opinion. If you don't agree, cool. I'm not sure what you are getting at here by searching and creating made-up inconsistencies.

I'm just trying to follow your thought process. If Florida or Tennessee both under perform and fans don't show up to games, that's one thing. We are on the same page.

To suggest a college football playoff that features traditional powers like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma most every year contributes to nationwide apathy among fans during the regular season, I don't necessarily agree with that.

The issue with college football attendance nationwide begins and ends with all the various viewing options fans have at their disposal that don't include watching live in the stadium.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to follow your thought process. If Florida or Tennessee both under perform and fans don't show up to games, that's one thing.

To suggest a college football playoff that features traditional powers like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma most every year contributes to nationwide apathy among fans during the regular season, I don't necessarily agree with that.

The issue with college football attendance nationwide begins and ends with all the various viewing options fans have at their disposal that don't include watching live in the stadium.

You like to talk about laughable, laughable is not entertaining this theory. Ratings are down across the board, save Fox, who rode their Big Ten contract. To pretend that fans don’t lose interest knowing their team isn’t going to win it all, especially in today’s win at all costs lifestyle is one of the funnier things posted today. The answer lies in the middle, but apathy certainly plays a factor.

You like to talk about laughable, laughable is not entertaining this theory. Ratings are down across the board, save Fox, who rode their Big Ten contract. To pretend that fans don’t lose interest knowing their team isn’t going to win it all, especially in today’s win at all costs lifestyle is one of the funnier things posted today. The answer lies in the middle, but apathy certainly plays a factor.

You're right, and apathy can be a factor regardless of how good/bad your team is, and whether or not your team is in contention for a championship.

There were patches of of empty seats in September when you guys came to town, long before the wheels fell off our respective seasons.

UCF had to beg students to come to games last year, during their best season in school history.

Last edited:
You're right, and apathy can be a factor regardless of how good/bad your team is, and whether or not your team is in contention for a championship.

There were patches of of empty seats in September when you guys came to town, long before the wheels fell off our respective seasons.

UCF had to beg students to come to games last year, during their best season in school history.

I barely watched down the stretch. I’m an Old Dominion season ticket holder. C-USA football is awful. WKU is fun to watch, but they’ll never beat marquee teams. Kiffin’s UF-A Owls were the same, last year anyway. Didn’t watch much of UCF, but how excited can Floridians get for UCF, knowing they aren’t going anywhere despite their record? More importantly, how many UCF “fans” are more like me? Tennessee reigns supreme, but I love my Monarchs just because they’re one of my Alma Maters. How many UCF fans cheer for Florida, FSU or Miami and cheer for UCF on the side?

Ftr, I can’t fathom being a Tennessee season ticket holder unless I lived within decent walking distance of Neyland. Too much to deal with when I can watch in HD or even UHD at home, with unlimited replays and cheap food.

Old Dominion is infinitely easier. 1/5 of the crowd and I have a bed with my name on it at multiple friends’ houses in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area.

I barely watched down the stretch. I’m an Old Dominion season ticket holder. C-USA football is awful. WKU is fun to watch, but they’ll never beat marquee teams. Kiffin’s UF-A Owls were the same, last year anyway. Didn’t watch much of UCF, but how excited can Floridians get for UCF, knowing they aren’t going anywhere despite their record? More importantly, how many UCF “fans” are more like me? Tennessee reigns supreme, but I love my Monarchs just because they’re one of my Alma Maters. How many UCF fans cheer for Florida, FSU or Miami and cheer for UCF on the side?

Damn...that post could use an anti-depressant.

What if people do not identify with the old state school now? UT has a low percentage of kids from the state compared to 20-30 years ago. The football team since the Fulmer years are mostly kids from other states and due to quotas, etc., you might only know a kid or two that even attends UT these days. How many kids from the areas that the fans live in are players at UT. It is not truly the state university it was in the past.

After Joe Johnson there was a huge effort to change the university into something competely different and I am not sure that many average Tennesseans really identify with what remains.

Yes, things change, but this is not your Father’s Volunteers. Thus, loyalty is slowly vanishing. Youth today do not idolize UT players as they did in the past.

What if people do not identify with the old state school now? UT has a low percentage of kids from the state compared to 20-30 years ago. The football team since the Fulmer years are mostly kids from other states and due to quotas, etc., you might only know a kid or two that even attends UT these days. How many kids from the areas that the fans live in are players at UT. It is not truly the state university it was in the past.

After Joe Johnson there was a huge effort to change the university into something competely different and I am not sure that many average Tennesseans really identify with what remains.

Yes, things change, but this is not your Father’s Volunteers. Thus, loyalty is slowly vanishing. Youth today do not idolize UT players as they did in the past.

I get what you’re saying, but fans are still everywhere. My fb feed on weekends is amazing to watch. All my friends and family back home talk Tennessee football. Then I have so many of my military friends going in depth about their team

Maybe, but it’s reality. I’d wager the majority of UCF fans have a premiere Florida school as their #1

And given how badly FSU and UF sucked, combined with UCF going undefeated, UCF fans still didn’t bother to sell out their stadium until USF came to town.

the narrow seats, high ticket and concession prices, lengthy TV games due to commercials every ten minutes, drunks, loud obnoxious music piped in over the PA system....I wonder why, too :)

Reactions: 1 person
the narrow seats, high ticket and concession prices, lengthy TV games due to commercials every ten minutes, drunks, loud obnoxious music piped in over the PA system....I wonder why, too :)

Agree with all points.

This is one of the unintended consequences of having a true "champion". Before the SEC CG it was all about the rivalries. Now everyone is focussed on getting to ATL.

interesting point. it doesn't matter if we beat UGA and UF if we still lose to the two teams in the west. I can see that having an impact.

interesting point. it doesn't matter if we beat UGA and UF if we still lose to the two teams in the west. I can see that having an impact.

That's true, assuming that one of the two doesn't lose another game. In 26 years of the SECCG, it's only happened once that a team went unbeaten in their division, but didn't go to Atlanta because they lost their cross-division games.

Unsustainable.

NCAA should cap coaches at $1 million. Don't like it? Go pro the pros.

Lower tickets and give more money to the institutions.

VN Store

Back