Coaching rumor thread "Daily Cliff's Notes" **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Telvin Griffin ‏@telvingriffin

Don't be surprised if Chris Peterson gets off the Razorback Foundation's private jet tonight or tomorrow sometime as the new Arkansas coach

OKC-KWTV Sports Director: Dean Blevins

“@DeanBlevins: I don't care if Mike Gundy did have a conversation w Tennessee today--& sounds like there's something to it--Mike Gundy will NOT LEAVE OSU.”

Reactions: 2 people
For what its worth. Heard from an NFL team rep that Butch Davis wants the TN job (although I don't see it happening). Same guy says we should want Strong as he is a solid coach and good recruiter.

According to Sports Talk on Talk Monster in Chattanooga. Hart is in talk with Jimbo Fisher today.

Reactions: 4 people
Mr. SEC.com

While rumors continue to swirl that Gruden is still going to land in Knoxville — yes, really — UT AD Dave Hart seems to have moved on to other candidates. Late last week he reportedly interviewed Louisville’s Strong. It’s also been reported that he met with Oklahoma State’s Gundy yesterday.

According to VolQuest.com, Tennessee officials were in Stillwater yesterday to meet with Gundy at his house. (Paywall.)

We have been told that Florida State’s Fisher is tops on Hart’s list and that does make sense. He hired Fisher as coach-in-waiting in Tallahassee, Fisher has SEC ties and a Dixie-fied recruiting base, and Hart was fired by FSU. How better to get back at the guys who let you go than to swipe their coach? Multiple sources have told us that Fisher and Hart will meet this week in New York, probably today.

Gundy and Fisher both share the same agent, Sexton. The Vols had better be careful they don’t start making it rain cash for coaches who are simply angling for raises from their current employers. (See: Arkansas.)

North Carolina’s Larry Fedora is reportedly rising up the Vol’s wish list — an industry source tells us he’s let it be known he’d like to talk — while Miami’s Al Golden has dropped a bit.

Two other “out there” rumors for you: a Chicago reporter posted on Twitter that a “reliable source tells me Tennessee has at least reached out to Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema” and CoachingSearch.com — more on that site below — claims former UNC coach Butch Davis might still be in the UT mix.

For now, we think the list in Knoxville is Fisher, Gundy, Strong (because he’s already interviewed) and then Fedora

Reactions: 1 person
Charlie Strong in his Monday (12/3) press conference did not address the rumors that he's interviewed with Tennessee and perhaps Auburn:

"I'm not here to discuss rumors, I'm here to talk about our football team"

"I have no representative, Charlie Strong represents himself"

Charlie Strong when asked to make a definitive statement on whether he'll be at U of L next year: "I'll say that at the right time."

Louisville TV station:

"Charlie Strong told me that he has not talked to Tennessee"

https://twitter.com/KentTaylorWAVE/status/275656248664399872

Last edited:
Basilio just reported on his show that Mike Gundy has called a team meeting today at 2:45.

edit: Didn't hear Hubbs saying it had been scheduled for a while. Wouldn't have posted if I had. Mods, it would be pretty neat if you wouldn't delete this clarification.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Basilio just reported on his show that Mike Gundy has called a team meeting today at 2:45.

Before this goes anywhere, Hubbs said that this meeting is a meeting that has been scheduled for a while and is nothing out of the ordinary or anything sudden.

GoVols247 saying that Fisher is likely to stay at FSU, and that Gundy also met with Arky yesterday, but 247Rumors is saying that Gundy has turned down Arkansas.

FootballScoop Staff @footballscoop

#ThatTimeOfYear Charlie Strong> RT @ericcrawford: Strong, again, and for the record, denies having talked to Tennessee or Auburn.

This reported 13 mins ago

Reactions: 3 people
Posted on TOS:
Pat jones on the sports animal this morning. Pat for those who don't know him was Gundy's coach at okie state when sanders Thomas and dykes were there. He came from the jimmy Johnson coaching tree. He currently works for fox sports and does the big 12 studio show for them. I think he is the most reliable source out here for what is going on. He said this morning that tenn did talk with Gundy yesterday he also did not confirm that Arky talked to him yesterday as I know there are some reports that they did. He says he has not talked to Gundy about this yet but I think he may be hedging there. He considers both Hart and Jeff Long to be very smart AD's he knows both of them personally. I know some on here think Hart is a idiot, but thatbisnnot his opinion of him. He said he thought both schools would be stupid not to go after Gundy. He also agrees that there are some control issues at OSU with Gundy and Holder. When asked why Gundy would leave a secure situation at OSU he responded saying there is no such thing in college coaching anymore. He thinks coaches always have to be looking at opportunities. He did not give an opinion as to Gundy leaving, but he did repeat that there seems to be more to this situation than anyone knows. I don't want to fuel the rumor mill, but I did want to hear his take on it and pass it along. There is not much else being said out here about this right now.
12/3 12:43 PM

Clemson beat writer is saying Chad Morris is interviewing for Auburn Job. He also interviewed for Nc State job. Not sure if he turned them down or Doeren was their first choice.

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247
Joining the gang @Midday180 on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville in a few minutes. I'm sure we'll find something to discuss.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Rucker threw out Bo Peleni as someone Hart wants to talk with in NYC. ???

Last edited:
Skeeter at 9:37 am 12/3

Sounding like Strong may be offered soon. Louisville has the money, but they would have to pay more than Tennessee to keep him, not just match. Strong wants "to be in the sec.

Posted 10:30 am 12/3

I think Hart will make an offer with in the next 24-48 hours. I think he will speak with Fisher today and i would be very surprised if anything came from that. I really dont think Fisher wants to play UF, Bama and UGA every year.

Last edited:
Email forwarded to me from Larry LWSVOL

Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 1:51 PM
Subject: Not final and may not get there

But word is as follows..

Jimbo Fisher has withdrawn consideration for UT job.

Sounds like things are quickly moving toward Charlie Strong. Could have breaking news most anytime.

Reactions: 22 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back