Coach Prime

This could be problematic moving forward.

Does the NCAA still have progress ( x hours toward degree to continue participation) rules for eligibility? Seems like I never hear of a player ineligible for bowl games because they didn’t pass enough hours

Reactions: Godfatha
Colorado wasn’t ever gonna be all overnight or one season fix. But now that his first season is over, what was accomplished?

1 win program for 4 wins, that’s a positive.
1 win program with next to no ticket revenue got a $14-20 million surge in ticket sales/season tickets.
1 win program with no earned media for seasons got earned media valued over $50m in earned media coverage this year.
1 win program literally no one talked about got covered all season. There is no such thing as bad press.

Deion has had a net positive impact financially on the school that took a chance to hire him. Anyone that has any experience running a business would know this.

This isn’t some grand controversy you’re making it out to be.
The bottom line is Deion Sanders generated a LOT of revenue for a zombie CU athletic department. He created a story where there had been a black hole for seven seasons since a 10 win season.
That was much more important than his win total this season.
CU will not push him out anytime soon. He will choose his time to go. And revenue potential will open a lot for doors for Prime when his kids graduate.

Does the NCAA still have progress ( x hours toward degree to continue participation) rules for eligibility? Seems like I never hear of a player ineligible for bowl games because they didn’t pass enough hours
I’m not sure. I thought so, but you’re right, I don’t hear about it much either.

This could be problematic moving forward.

That's freaking hilarious. Do any of these kids GAF about the 'education' anymore? ESPECIALLY if they are transferring to another school to play football? But then again, CU is a well known center of academic excellence (and legal weed).

Reactions: VolDave53
That's freaking hilarious. Do any of these kids GAF about the 'education' anymore? ESPECIALLY if they are transferring to another school to play football? But then again, CU is a well known center of academic excellence (and legal weed).
Yeah, when it comes to big college sports the focus is going to just having the players eligible. The ones knowing they'll never go pro will be focused on their degree I suppose. These portal players don't care outside of real world issues.

I honestly don’t know how it works anymore. It seems like no one even pretends it matters recently . I think everyone is doing a massive disservice to the kids when it comes to the portal and partially NIL. I don’t feel like it’s real life, at least the portal isn’t . I don’t mind kids getting $, but I think competitively there needs to be some sort of cap. Not for the kids, but there’s no other sport with unrestricted FA and $. That’s essentially what College sports has become, and the education part of it truly has taken a backseat.

Reactions: GBOx2
I honestly don’t know how it works anymore. It seems like no one even pretends it matters recently . I think everyone is doing a massive disservice to the kids when it comes to the portal and partially NIL. I don’t feel like it’s real life, at least the portal isn’t . I don’t mind kids getting $, but I think competitively there needs to be some sort of cap. Not for the kids, but there’s no other sport with unrestricted FA and $. That’s essentially what College sports has become, and the education part of it truly has taken a backseat.
A cap on what someone can earn under NIL would never hold up in court. The only way that the portal and NIL gets “fixed” is to make the players employees of the universities. That’s obviously where all of this is headed.

A cap on what someone can earn under NIL would never hold up in court. The only way that the portal and NIL gets “fixed” is to make the players employees of the universities. That’s obviously where all of this is headed.
How would you do that without requiring them to sign a contract with the university? And then, since NIL money is not affiliated with the university per se, how would that work? Actually in a way I would be all for it since a contract would kill the portal defections, but I don't know how you make that work, and I am sure the donors would be too spineless to meter out that money to incentivize the player to remain there for 4 years. I'm quite sure we all expect Nico to be gone in 3 if not sooner, and I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that is is not to the pros.

How would you do that without requiring them to sign a contract with the university? And then, since NIL money is not affiliated with the university per se, how would that work? Actually in a way I would be all for it since a contract would kill the portal defections, but I don't know how you make that work, and I am sure the donors would be too spineless to meter out that money to incentivize the player to remain there for 4 years. I'm quite sure we all expect Nico to be gone in 3 if not sooner, and I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that is is not to the pros.
They will sign contracts with universities.

They will sign contracts with universities.
Then the portal would be dead. So there would be something good that came from it. Unless of course the universities were stupid enough to sign one year deals. Which wouldn't surprise me.

I know it wouldn’t work bc it isn’t legal. I agree that employment is where this is all headed. The NCAA really botched this situation. They had more than enough time to make the adjustments before it came to this.

I know it wouldn’t work bc it isn’t legal. I agree that employment is where this is all headed. The NCAA really botched this situation. They had more than enough time to make the adjustments before it came to this.
So they’ll be on work-study. Well, that’s different, I guess.

Charles Kelly gone per the Athletic. Sensing a theme with the staff turnover…already.

Maybe with the NIL $$ the "student athletes" aren't out robbing convenience stores for dinner money and spending the time in the classrooms. Or not, just a thought. :cool:

I remember John Elway making these same noises during the 1983 draft.
He told the dreadful Colts (1st pick) he would not play for them, and wanted to play for a warm weather team.
Elway wasn't saying it in interviews or news conferences, that I remember. I think I read about it in Sports Illustrated at the time. He also told the Colts he would play for the Yankees farm system if they drafted him. The Colts traded.
He was also a college player and not a college coach.

He did have a press conference moments before the draft when it became clear the Colts weren't taking the hint and planned to draft him anyway, because they couldn't close a trade. The Colts owner flipped and personally negotiated a trade with Denver. West Coast enough, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennheel
He told the dreadful Colts (1st pick) he would not play for them, and wanted to play for a warm weather team.
Elway wasn't saying it in interviews or news conferences, that I remember. I think I read about it in Sports Illustrated at the time. He also told the Colts he would play for the Yankees farm system if they drafted him. The Colts traded.

He did have a press conference moments before the draft when it became clear the Colts weren't taking the hint and planned to draft him anyway, because they couldn't close a trade. The Colts owner flipped and personally negotiated a trade with Denver. West Coast enough, I guess.
The Colts drafted John Elway. They traded him after the fact.

Elway wasn't saying it in interviews or news conferences, that I remember. I think I read about it in Sports Illustrated at the time.
I think I read about him saying he'd just go play baseball for the Yankees if the Colts drafted him. The same thing also happened with Eli Manning. Having Archie helped to get him in a winnable situation. I also remember Kobe Bryant getting out of signing his contract with the Hornets. If you have those connections, sometimes nepotism can work to your favor.

Reactions: SpookyAction

VN Store

Back