Coach Dooley, I salute you!

You may be right, but there seem to be an awful lot of posters on VolNation who think they could do a better job than Dooley. Few people on here would refuse the chance to coach the Vols, but how many of us would be able to assemble a staff and coach them to even one win? Against anyone? I would ask all of the foaming-at-the-mouth posters on VN to consider what it would be like if they took over the program, or a friend or a brother or a son or a father, and got the treatment Dooley has gotten. What a nightmare that would be.

No, he was not a good coach, but he is a VOL and now he is a broken man. And his family is suffering. He has to face hundreds of thousands of rabid fans after all this. Who around here could do that? I would struggle with it, I know that much. This experience will always be a dark cloud on his life. He is gone, now end the hate. Show the kind of class the team showed to Marcus Lattimore. Thank him for his time and wish him well. To do otherwise does not reflect well on the fan base.
I wouldn't hire a baseball player to coach DB's. I would have a RB coach from year 1. I would not change to a 3-4 with 5 lb's. ..and most of all I would know how to count to eleven and how to call a time out.

Screw FOOLEY he took a taco induced dump on our football program. He can go coach peewee and suck at that too for all I care. Thanks for breaking every streak our university has ever had and setting record lows.

I don't have any hate for Dooley. There is no need in that. It doesn't do anyone any good.

I think we all agree:

1) He inherited a mess.
2) He seemed to straighten out the thuggery left by Kiffin.
3) He did recruit a few really good players.
4) He was NOT a successful SEC coach.
5) He was NOT a successful coach at TN.
6) In looking at his record, it was abysmal, period...no defending it.

It was a tough chapter in the history of the Vols and it wasn't all Dooley's fault. He just didn't make the most of it. A better coach and leader could and will do better. I wish him the best, but I'm glad he's leaving.

There is no need in feeling sorry for him. The volatility of college coaching is the reason they get enormous salaries and buyouts. However, I ask that VFLs remain classy in his departure.

Reactions: 2 people
I want to say thank you to Dooley..we are not so bad that when we are good again with a good head coach we wont up and fire him with a 152-52 record.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't have any hate for Dooley. There is no need in that. It doesn't do anyone any good.

I think we all agree:

1) He inherited a mess.
2) He seemed to straighten out the thuggery left by Kiffin.
3) He did recruit a few really good players.
4) He was NOT a successful SEC coach.
5) He was NOT a successful coach at TN.
6) In looking at his record, it was abysmal, period...no defending it.

It was a tough chapter in the history of the Vols and it wasn't all Dooley's fault. He just didn't make the most of it. A better coach and leader could and will do better. I wish him the best, but I'm glad he's leaving. j

There is no need in feeling sorry for him. The volatility of college coaching is the reason they get enormous salaries and buyouts. However, I ask that VFLs remain classy in his departure.
You do realize Dooleys players have been in the news.

I wanted the guy gone as much as most of you. My problem is with the piling on, the name calling, and overall classlessness this forum is showing right now.

Reactions: 2 people
For those who don't seem to know the difference...

Petrino = leaving a program in disgrace
Dooley = leaving a program because he was not a good coach

I'm as frustrated as anyone, but please show a little more class.

Reactions: 1 person
I salute him with two fingers. Can you guess which fingers those are?

"During the last 34 months, I've given my all for Tennessee, and our family appreciates all this University and the Knoxville community has given us." -CDD

Why don't you give me a list of names of coaches that wanted the job on jan 12th 2010.

Kevin Sumlin. He seems to be doing pretty well. Cutcliffe also would have come back yet didn't agree to the restrictions of staff put on him.

And you're missing the point.....several big names didn't want the job, but you're crazy if you think there weren't several other "Dooleys" out there that would have taken the job. You guys are acting like Dooley is the ONLY coach that would do it, and that's crap. Don't tell me there were several other mid-major coaches with just as good of (if not better) records as Dooley that would would have said no to the contract he was given.

Last edited:
Why don't you give me a list of names of coaches that wanted the job on jan 12th 2010.

The whole point of the OP was to salute Dooley...not debate the coaching search.

As a fanbase, we are not responsible for saluting a failed head coach.

VN Store

Back