Coach Dooley, I salute you!

You came to Tennessee when we were in the abyss. You inherited a bloody awful mess and got no breaks along the way. Yet you kept trying when most men (many of whom criticized you ruthlessly) would have folded under the pressure. The good things you did have improved the program and will go a long way to returning us to prominence. Unfortunately, those are not the things that bring in the money or the recruits and we all recognize the nature of this beast. It is my hope that you will not leave with overwhelming bitterness, that you will come to realize that many UT fans respect the heck out of you and genuinely rooted for you. You may not have been the most successful UT coach, but YOU WERE A COACH OF THE TENNESSEE VOLS!! There are very few men who can claim that. I salute you and I hope you will remain a VFL.

you and dooley are far too good for tennessee. why don't you go with him?

Some of you need to quit being so touchy feely and somehow think Dooley deserves some sort of respect. The dude got PAID for NOTHING.

Say what you want for what he inherited but looking at this year's recruiting class and year 3 results alone should tell you that this dude wasn't capable of taking UT football to anywhere down.

Reactions: 1 person
For the last time, enough of the "He was the only one who would take the job" nonsense. No big name would take the job, but Dooley was 1 of several mid-major coaches who would have taken the job.

Dooley tried his best but it wasn't good enough I feel that is certain. The product he put on the field was, well,:puke5:

What you on son? Gimme some please! I like the guy, just don't like his football mind. He tried, lost games, lost control, lost our support. Sorry Dools. I will always remember you as my first vols coach, but nothing more. Every other memory I have of you is drenched in whiskey and tears during the early hours of autumn and winter Sunday mornings... (I don't drink whiskey, and I have never cried over a vols loss)

You came to Tennessee when we were in the search for a La tech loser. You inherited a mess and your coaching was horrible along the way. Yet you kept trying to water bamboo when most men (many of whom criticized you ruthlessly) would have folded under the pressure. The good things you did have improved the team ability to lose and hurt us returning to prominence. Unfortunately, those are not the things that bring in the money or the recruits and we all recognize the nature of this beast. It is my hope that you will not leave with overwhelming bitterness, but just leave A.S.A.P you will come to realize that 9 UT fans respect the heck out of you and genuinely rooted for you. You may not have been the most successful UT coach WHO AM I KIDDING , YOU should have never been COACH OF THE TENNESSEE VOLS!! There are very few men who can claim that. I salute you and I hope you will remain in Alabama.
FYP...i think this is more like it!

I salute him for taking the job when no one wanted it. I salute him for the VFL program.

I have no doubt that he gave his all for Tennessee. However, at the end of the day, it was not enough. I wish him and his family well. Go in peace Derek.

This! It is only football by the way. A game. People and the way you treat them are more important. However, I am glad the Vols will be getting a new coach.

You came to Tennessee when we were in the abyss. You inherited a bloody awful mess and got no breaks along the way. Yet you kept trying when most men (many of whom criticized you ruthlessly) would have folded under the pressure. The good things you did have improved the program and will go a long way to returning us to prominence. Unfortunately, those are not the things that bring in the money or the recruits and we all recognize the nature of this beast. It is my hope that you will not leave with overwhelming bitterness, that you will come to realize that many UT fans respect the heck out of you and genuinely rooted for you. You may not have been the most successful UT coach, but YOU WERE A COACH OF THE TENNESSEE VOLS!! There are very few men who can claim that. I salute you and I hope you will remain a VFL.

What is this "improved the program" you speak of?

This is the part I hate about VN. DD needed to go and now he's gone. Some of our classless fans will hide behind the seal of internet anonymity and spout useless drivel that serves no purpose than to propagate hate.

Let the guy go in peace and wish him and his family the best in the future. Let's focus on who is next.

Reactions: 4 people
The piling on at this point is pathetic. We all know he was not right for UT. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at Hamilton, I cannot blame DD for trying to improve himself when he took the job.

Reactions: 2 people
The piling on at this point is pathetic. We all know he was not right for UT. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at Hamilton, I cannot blame DD for trying to improve himself when he took the job.

I agree, but you don't have to make up stuff to make Dooley seem like some kind of saint. The "he was the only one who would take the job" is a myth.

I don't knock him for taking the job, anyone in his position would, and I have no doubt he gave his all, but at the same time I'm not going to act like he made some big sacrifice either.

I salute him for taking the job when no one wanted it. I salute him for the VFL program.

I have no doubt that he gave his all for Tennessee. However, at the end of the day, it was not enough. I wish him and his family well. Go in peace Derek.

We all could live peacefully with $5m in the bank!:birgits_giggle:

Some of you need to quit being so touchy feely and somehow think Dooley deserves some sort of respect. The dude got PAID for NOTHING.

Say what you want for what he inherited but looking at this year's recruiting class and year 3 results alone should tell you that this dude wasn't capable of taking UT football to anywhere down.

You may be right, but there seem to be an awful lot of posters on VolNation who think they could do a better job than Dooley. Few people on here would refuse the chance to coach the Vols, but how many of us would be able to assemble a staff and coach them to even one win? Against anyone? I would ask all of the foaming-at-the-mouth posters on VN to consider what it would be like if they took over the program, or a friend or a brother or a son or a father, and got the treatment Dooley has gotten. What a nightmare that would be.

No, he was not a good coach, but he is a VOL and now he is a broken man. And his family is suffering. He has to face hundreds of thousands of rabid fans after all this. Who around here could do that? I would struggle with it, I know that much. This experience will always be a dark cloud on his life. He is gone, now end the hate. Show the kind of class the team showed to Marcus Lattimore. Thank him for his time and wish him well. To do otherwise does not reflect well on the fan base.

I agree, but you don't have to make up stuff to make Dooley seem like some kind of saint. The "he was the only one who would take the job" is a myth.

I don't knock him for taking the job, anyone in his position would, and I have no doubt he gave his all, but at the same time I'm not going to act like he made some big sacrifice either.

Point is, we are better than that, at least I thought we were. Just have some class Vol fans.

You may be right, but there seem to be an awful lot of posters on VolNation who think they could do a better job than Dooley. Few people on here would refuse the chance to coach the Vols, but how many of us would be able to assemble a staff and coach them to even one win? Against anyone? I would ask all of the foaming-at-the-mouth posters on VN to consider what it would be like if they took over the program, or a friend or a brother or a son or a father, and got the treatment Dooley has gotten. What a nightmare that would be.

No, he was not a good coach, but he is a VOL and now he is a broken man. And his family is suffering. He has to face hundreds of thousands of rabid fans after all this. Who around here could do that? I would struggle with it, I know that much. This experience will always be a dark cloud on his life. He is gone, now end the hate. Show the kind of class the team showed to Marcus Lattimore. Thank him for his time and wish him well. To do otherwise does not reflect well on the fan base.

Ridiculous....he's suffering?

People who just lost their jobs because the economy sucks and get a 3 week severance are suffering, not some guy who's leaving with 4 SEC wins in 3 seaons. And he's walking away with 5 million dollars.

Like I said, stop making the guy out to be some saint

Dooley is getting 5 million, sorry I don't feel the same as you. I have a family of 6 and work 12 hours a day on a fixed salary managing as many people as him trying to make ends meet. If I lose my job I don't get 5 million.

VN Store

Back