Coach DD has the #16 best coaching job in the ncaa

In my own opinion I would put Tennessee and Nebraska before Oregon and UCLA. UCLA wouldnt even be on my list. This isnt basketball. Georgia should also be behind us. Alabama should be in front of Florida.

I feel it is the # 1 job in coaching NCAA Football. Campus Feel, Stadium, Great Players, and a great State.

I think it is probably better to think about the jobs in tiers, anyway. USC, Texas, Florida, ND, and Miami are premier jobs. There are a handful of SEC schools, a few of the Big 10, and probably Nebraska and Oregon in a solid grouping below that. OSU, Oklahoma, and FSU are somewhere in between.

It isn't as pretty on paper, but I'm not sure it makes a hell of a lot of difference where you rank within a particular grouping.

FWIW, I don't think Miami is willing to pay the fee to be top tier, but I agree if based on ease of recruiting/ability to build a championship team, etc.

And, Bama is top tier as noted later.

And you're right about the execution, but good concept.

FWIW, I don't think Miami is willing to pay the fee to be top tier, but I agree if based on ease of recruiting/ability to build a championship team, etc.
And, Bama is top tier as noted later.
And you're right about the execution, but good concept.

Not to mention, you have to compete with UF and FSU for those recruits.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Not to mention, you have to compete with UF and FSU for those recruits.

They've won 5 national titles and played in 15 BCS bowls since they rose to relevance in the early 80s. They are located in the most fertile recruiting ground on the planet in the middle of a city extremely attractive to athletes. The coaching history is long and distinguished even in that relatively short time, their NFL player production is off the charts, they have huge name recognition nationwide, and to top it off, they now play in a modern NFL stadium. That's a top-tier job.

Does it mean the school where you will likely have a better W-L record? Or does it mean the school where due to a variety of factors the coach is likely to be happy and have a long tenure? What's the criteria for this?

As a Bruin I think UCLA is placed just about right in the ranking. And based on my few visits to Knoxville in September to see UCLA play UT, the weather in L.A. would DEFINITELY help tilt a coach towards Westwood, IMHO. Columbus and Austin aren't much better weather-wise, at least during most of the college football season. Forgive my pun, but the humidity in the East and South in September is unBEARable.

And have any of you ever been to Oregon? It is beautiful there. The weather is wet, yes, but very rarely humid and virtually no snow. As long as you have a poncho it's not bad.

I'm just sayin'.

The "Gang of Five" says it doesn't matter. Yet, most established head coaches and every sports professional say it does.

I'm going with the "Gang of Five." They really know what's up!

You shouldn't have a problem naming one, then. Derek Dooley is already out.

Except that's why Tennessee hasn't hired an established head coach in over 40 years. :crazy:

This is worth a thread on its own: the perfect TN head coach. It HAS to be a young gun, especially if outside the family. No established coach will come to Tennessee (sans Majors) even for 20% over his current salary. We will not get Gruden, Stoops, Saban, et al. from their current universities / TV jobs even if Thunder, Hambone, and Curly open the checkbooks to their Depression busting hilt. We couldn't get Calhoun et al this time around for goodness sakes. We couldn't get Muschamp who would rather wait for the Texas job because it is so much easier (and TN could be a reputation buster going against Saban, Meyer, Richt, Spurrier, et al every year).

Of course Texas is much easier right now. Have you taken a look at their record the past few years? Tennessee is in the midst of one of their worst droughts in the history of the program.

Of course Texas is much easier right now. Have you taken a look at their record the past few years? Tennessee is in the midst of one of their worst droughts in the history of the program.

Well, get Saban then. Didn't he take over Alabama at a similar nadir? At least he is a worthy successor.

PS - lousy explanation for Muschamp.

PPS - Saban would not come to Tennessee for 20% over his current salary.

Last edited:
Well, get Saban then. Didn't he take over Alabama at a similar nadir?

PS - lousy explanation for Muschamp.

Seriously? You think a guy that's never coached a team before would prefer to take over a rebuilding job in the SEC or step behind the wheel of a finely tuned winning machine? Muschamp is already one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country. He's in no rush. There was no Saban available when Kiffin left at the worst possible moment.

Last edited:
PPS - Saban would not come to Tennessee for 20% over his current salary.

Probably not, because Bama would just match our offer. Had we gone after Nick at the end of his pro career, it'd be a high-bidder battle with Bama for his services.

We are #1!!! Plus Florida and okla fans are bandwagons, half there fan base wasntt ther 5 years ago

I don't understand how the UCLA job is ahead of us but the defensive coordinator job at Texas is not. It just don't make sense to me.:cool:

Here is the question that will get the juices flowing. If we are the 16th best coaching job in college football, do we have the 16th best coach in college football?

VN Store

Back