Coach Barnes discusses Yves Pons

On what team would any of the 4* guys I listed average 17 and 12?

You're going to be disappointed. Good news is you will be no matter what so you won't have to exert yourself. Lol.

You cry and moan about recruiting more than I do. Lmao. Telling me about disappointment

Don't know.

I'm just telling you what I think Pons this average this coming season. I think he will average 12 points.

And you tried to justify that by saying he was a 4*, yet there's very few similarly ranked guys to put up those numbers, so acting like it's the norm seems a bit out of line.

And you tried to justify that by saying he was a 4*, yet there's very few similarly ranked guys to put up those numbers, so acting like it's the norm seems a bit out of line.

I'm saying he might average that much because of who else is on the team more than his ranking.

I said in an earlier post that most freshmen probably average around 5 points

I think that there might have been a TN team in recent history that was so thin with scorer's on the roster that Pons could have averaged double digit PPG on one of them. But this team is deep and has many that are capable. If Pons averages 5 PPG this year that will be a huge bonus. Walker, Kent, and Pons are all projects and anything that they contribute this year would be bonuses. All three could be very good before graduating... possibly even making All-SEC. But right now they are freshmen and freshmen often screw up.

I think that there might have been a TN team in recent history that was so thin with scorer's on the roster that Pons could have averaged double digit PPG on one of them. But this team is deep and has many that are capable. If Pons averages 5 PPG this year that will be a huge bonus. Walker, Kent, and Pons are all projects and anything that they contribute this year would be bonuses. All three could be very good before graduating... possibly even making All-SEC. But right now they are freshmen and freshmen often screw up.

I guess that the difference I'm having with others concerning his ppg. I think the overall roster lacks in talent while others think its a strength. More playing time = more shots for Pons

I get it that every freshman has plenty to learn, but how do you (and others) get that Walker is a project? He got double doubles in Europe. I wasn't there, and didn't see much video, but that doesn't sound like project material to me.

On Pons, I know he has a lot to learn, but that is what pre-season practice is for. I think there is a good chance he is being underestimated as well.

I get it that every freshman has plenty to learn, but how do you (and others) get that Walker is a project? He got double doubles in Europe. I wasn't there, and didn't see much video, but that doesn't sound like project material to me.

On Pons, I know he has a lot to learn, but that is what pre-season practice is for. I think there is a good chance he is being underestimated as well.

Walker needs conditioning, free throw accuracy improvement, and finishing at the hoop. He's high energy, physical, and has a high basketball IQ but he's a raw talent. He could be coached up by the start of the season, but he's likely to get burned defensively biting on pump fakes and back doors. He may not be playing under control on the defensive end initially. Just a handful of defensive break downs can easily be the difference between getting a loss instead of a win.

Reactions: 1 person
I think about 6-8 will be it for ppg. Its tough for a frosh to come in and score double digits. If he does he might try to go pro.

I think about 6-8 will be it for ppg. Its tough for a frosh to come in and score double digits. If he does he might try to go pro.

I guess that's about right. If he gets 15 or 17 on occasion, and ignites the crowd, then he would probably end up in that range for his average. Hopefully, his minutes can grow as he grows into his role.

I guess that's about right. If he gets 15 or 17 on occasion, and ignites the crowd.

Not to be contrary, but the right 6-8 pts could do the same. If he buys in and avoids the foul trouble he's had, his energy and athleticism will keep him on the court, especially further in the yr. jmo

It got me to thinking about what somebody said on here about who they thought Pons looked like so I looked up former Bama player Gerald Wallace and found these stats for his one college season.

If you showed me the above passage and asked me to guess the OP I’d bet everything I own on D4H. Everything.

Unlike D4H, college basketball is something I'm very passionate about because I actually played the sport. I think it's fair to make comparisons to other players but keep it within reason.

Get out of here bro, we all played the sport.

I didn't really play after middle school because I was garbage. Stop trolling Indy lol. His game does resemble Gerald Wallace. His frame, and long ass arms do too. The only difference is Wallace threw dunks like Pons does during warm-ups during games. But I think Barnes can develop Pons and he'll be doing the same. I think he'll be a nice slasher on offense, and then a lock-down defender on defense.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't really play after middle school because I was garbage. Stop trolling Indy lol. His game does resemble Gerald Wallace. His frame, and long ass arms do too. The only difference is Wallace threw dunks like Pons does during warm-ups during games. But I think Barnes can develop Pons and he'll be doing the same. I think he'll be a nice slasher on offense, and then a lock-down defender on defense.

Touché. I’ll hit the backspace button on this one. I have some other D4H/FB forum work in the hopper but I just hate waiting around for D4H.

The draft is right around the corner and instead of putting the finishing touches on his 2018 NFL Draft predictions he’s wasting his time in the Kaepernick thread talking about racial inequality.

I’m just glad we have a slasher on the team. Sometimes our offense is hard/boring to watch when it’s passing around for an open 3 or feeding it to Grant/Admiral.

I really missed Josh and Jmac’s ability to create their own possession.

Lets hope Pons keeps working hard!

I used to play every night after I went to sleep. I was on the real Dream team and a helluva player.

Yup. I saw you there. You were catching oops from magic, man handling people on the block, and even took MJ baseline. True story.

VN Store

Back