Coach Barnes discusses Yves Pons

Basketball is basketball. I'm not sure how language issues would slow him down. Maybe a little at first.

You think he is going to step on the floor the first game and wonder what the Hell he's doing ?

Well Barnes just said today they simplified things in Europe when Pons would enter the game, so take that how you want.

Duke Crews was a 5* who was further along athletically than skilled...what did he average? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's a lot fewer freshman that average 12+ppg than you think.

Someone should look up the top 100 players we've signed and their ppg/mpg for their freshman year.

Well Barnes just said today they simplified things in Europe when Pons would enter the game, so take that how you want.

Duke Crews was a 5* who was further along athletically than skilled...what did he average? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's a lot fewer freshman that average 12+ppg than you think.

I know the majority of freshmen probably average around 5 points.

But I'm looking at just a Vol perspective. He will get more minutes because there is a lack of playmakers on this team.

I'm not saying hes going to be player of the year. 12 points should be attainable based on your last sentences,

Over the past 4 seasons, 12 ppg would have been good for 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd on the team. I just don't understand how you realistically believe that a kid whose current weaknesses are reportedly on the offensive side of the ball is going to average 12 ppg and likely be top 3 on the team in scoring as a freshman, especially given our overall talent level and experience.

Over the past 4 seasons, 12 ppg would have been good for 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd on the team. I just don't understand how you realistically believe that a kid whose current weaknesses are reportedly on the offensive side of the ball is going to average 12 ppg and likely be top 3 on the team in scoring as a freshman, especially given our overall talent level and experience.

I'm basing that on the overall talent level.

Nope, but he was a freshman that averaged close to 13ppg.

I think that was because he was underrated, and there were few options. This team is more talented and more experienced. We don't need Pons to score 12 ppg. We needed Williams to do what he did last year.

Last edited:
I think he could score 10 points a game and get 5 rebounds a game this season which would be a solid freshman season.

Reactions: 1 person
To put things in perspective, this last tournament he played, which was 4 games, he averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds. That would be very good,imo,

Yves Pons arrived in Knoxville just 10 days before the Tennessee basketball team was scheduled to take him back to Europe.

The 6-foot-5 wing from INSEP Academy in Paris opted not to play in the FIBA U18 tournament for his native France, but to instead begin his college career with the Vols, which started with a 10-day tour and three exhibition games with his new team in Spain and France.

When Pons was on the floor in the exhibition wins, he impressed.

"He’s going to do exactly what you ask him to do," Tennessee coach Rick Barnes said on Tuesday. "He’s very athletic. It’s the first time in a long time that I’ve seen a guy go up and contest a shot with two hands.

"He had a couple really nice blocks. One of them was called for a goaltend, but where he came from to get it was really pretty impressive."

Pons, a four-star prospect and the No. 129 overall player in the 2017 class, is the highest rated player Barnes has signed since taking over the Tennessee basketball program in 2015. Pons was the No. 1 prospect in France and the No. 29 small forward in his class.
Barnes noted that many aspects of American college basketball are still new to Pons, like strength coaches and the intensity of Tennessee's practices.

Despite his physically developed build — Pons is listed at 203 pounds on Tennessee's official roster — Pons hasn't spent much time in the weight room to this point in his basketball career.

"He’s never trained the way he’s training here now," Barnes said. "He’s never done a lot of the things he’s doing now."

During Tennessee's exhibition games in Europe, wins over three different European All-Star teams, Pons was limited offensively without knowledge of the Vols' system, quickly getting the ball out out of his hands if it found him on the perimeter.

Instead, he focused on what comes natural — his explosiveness and versatility on defense.

"He went out and he was comfortable (while) we were trying to simplify some things while he was on the court," Barnes said. "But he did just a really good job of playing defense, rebounding, running. Offensively we didn’t ask him to do a whole lot because he hasn’t been practicing with us at all."

What Barnes saw, he said, is just the beginning.

"He’s a guy that, I think, we’re all going to enjoy watching him grow," Barnes said. "This is all new to him."

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Arti...ch-Rick-Barnes-on-what-he-saw-from--106392346

Reactions: 2 people
Extremely disappointed if he averages those numbers. I'm expecting 17-20 minutes with 12ppg

Pons best ranking is 247 who has him as a 4* ranked 75th overall.

Looking back over the last 10 years at UT freshman seasons for guys ranked 75 or higher. (Rivals)

Trae Golden: 63 overall, 13mpg, 3ppg
Jordan McRae: 47 overall, 5mpg, 2ppg
Detrick Mostella: 53 overall, 11.7mpg, 3.4ppg
Kenny Hall: 74 overall, 12mpg, 3.6ppg
Swiperboy: 53 overall, 9mpg, 2.6ppg
Cam Tatum: 64 overall, 18.4mpg, 5ppg (redshirt)

Average Ranking: 59
Average mpg: 11.5
Average ppg: 3.3

For comparison, here are the numbers for two 5* top 10 guys.....

Tobias Harris: 7 overall, 29mpg, 15.3ppg
Scotty Hopson: 5 overall, 23.4mgp, 9.2ppg

Expecting 17-20mpg and 12ppg for Pons is completely out of whack. It's no wonder you are always negative. You set yourself up for it. You are expecting him to be Tobias Harris and he is ranked lower than Kenny Hall.

Reactions: 3 people
The Big Eiffel Tower will impress, for sure. He needs to work hard in the preseason to bulk up for that brutal SEC stretch in January. We need a bruiser down low and he is looking to be that guy. 10ppg and 7rpg.

Looking back over the last 10 years at UT freshman seasons for guys ranked 75 or higher. (Rivals)

Expecting 17-20mpg and 12ppg for Pons is completely out of whack. It's no wonder you are always negative. You set yourself up for it. You are expecting him to be Tobias Harris and he is ranked lower than Kenny Hall.

You can't really compare the players that played for Bruce. Those teams were more talented. Didn't need freshmen to be a big factor

This team doesn't come close to talent of years past. Pons will get the minutes and shots just on that alone.

No offense Big Ziti but half of those guys you listed were either soft(see KH and SB) or stick figures(JM and CT). Pons is young but he has a NBA body and he probably played against grown men in Europe. Plus he gets a couple of months in the strength and conditioning program. He also has a killer instinct that you can't teach like a young Dominique Wilkins. He is determined when he gets a full head of steam. God help anyone who gets in his way because they are liable to get their arm broken, posterized or both. We needed someone like him to equalize the athletes on other top SEC teams. All Barnes has to do is insert Pons to inject some energy and he will get get the fans out of their seats. I just have a different feeling about the whole team this year.

You can't really compare the players that played for Bruce. Those teams were more talented. Didn't need freshmen to be a big factor

This team doesn't come close to talent of years past. Pons will get the minutes and shots just on that alone.

On what team would any of the 4* guys I listed average 17 and 12?

You're going to be disappointed. Good news is you will be no matter what so you won't have to exert yourself. Lol.

I think you are grossly underselling the talent and depth of this team, especially at the PG, SG, and SF positions.

No offense Big Ziti but half of those guys you listed were either soft(see KH and SB) or stick figures(JM and CT). Pons is young but he has a NBA body and he probably played against grown men in Europe. Plus he gets a couple of months in the strength and conditioning program. He also has a killer instinct that you can't teach like a young Dominique Wilkins. He is determined when he gets a full head of steam. God help anyone who gets in his way because they are liable to get their arm broken, posterized or both. We needed someone like him to equalize the athletes on other top SEC teams. All Barnes has to do is insert Pons to inject some energy and he will get get the fans out of their seats. I just have a different feeling about the whole team this year.

No one is saying that Pons won't bring energy and hustle though. In fact, that is exactly what he should bring because those things don't take talent.

Barnes himself is even suggesting to keeps expectations in check. Pons can score around the basket, but his shot is very unrefined right now, so to average 12 ppg, he'll need to likely average around 3-4 offensive rebs/gm in an effort to get some easy looks under the basket. I just think it's a lot to ask of a kid who is new to America, American basketball, weight-training, and college life in general. I get that he's played against some good competition, but he is going to have to become a legit threat outside of 5 feet to boost his offensive production unless he can be a Jeronne Maymon-like bull under the basket.

The Big Eiffel Tower will impress, for sure. He needs to work hard in the preseason to bulk up for that brutal SEC stretch in January. We need a bruiser down low and he is looking to be that guy. 10ppg and 7rpg.

Who are you talking about? Surely not Pons? He's 6'5", not 6'11"?

What did Mostella do as a freshman?

Nothing more humbling than having a dude send your shot back with both hands!!! wow

VN Store

Back