Climate Change

What is your opinion of Climate Change?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I read Flounder's post as saying climate is a naturally occurring systematic event that has been going on since the earth was formed. The other comment was out of line, but what did he say that was wrong?

I read Flounder's post as saying climate is a naturally occurring systematic event that has been going on since the earth was formed. The other comment was out of line, but what did he say that was wrong?

Putting Climate Change and science into the same paragraph.

Reactions: 1 person
Putting Climate Change and science into the same paragraph.

Mankind has and will continue to, a greater or lesser degree, adversely affect the atmosphere and the stream of pollutants into the waters and soils.

Do your own science. Find an old map or globe, one from no later than 1965 and find the Aral Sea, there where Uzbekistan is. It's huge. The worlds largest lake. Fishing industry, shipping ports, everything you may expect.

Then mankind took all the water from the rivers filling the Aral Sea for irrigation, filled the irrigation water with pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer. Which washed down and settled on seabeds of the shallows of the Aral Sea.

But taking so much water? The shoreline began to recede. And the exposed flats started heating the local atmosphere and the new microclimate produced less rain, so the Aral Sea began to recede faster. The more exposure of the polluted dried up seabeds during windstorms, the more toxic compounds in the seaside communities air, streams, and aquifer. Mothers milk was so toxic, they could not breast feed.

Now, it's gone. The Aral Sea is gone. And the seabeds are toxic and wind carries it everywhere.

Mankind "disappeared" a whole sea.

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone! In light of the latest prediction, pease do you part to warm the Earth as quickly as possible. Thank you.

Why the sun going blank means a ‘Game of Thrones’-like winter is coming | New York Post

Meteorologist and renowned sun-watcher Paul Dorian raised the alarm in*his latest report, which has sparked a mild panic about an impending “Game of Thrones”-style winter not seen since the 17th century.
Renowned sun-watcher? That might explain it :p

That story made the rounds before. No need to brace yourselves.

I’m surprised the usual jokers missed this new one:
Claim that jet stream crossing equator is ‘climate emergency’ is utter nonsense

In real news…

North America leaders tackle global warming
The leaders of Canada, the U.S., and Mexico are spelling out how their nations will work together to curb global warming.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, U.S. President Barack Obama and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto (PAYN'-yuh nee-EH'-toh) say in a joint statement that they'll strive to use renewable sources of energy to generate 50 percent of North America's electrical power by 2025.

That's a significant leap from last year's 37 percent.

They're pledging to accelerate cross-border transmission projects, strengthen energy efficiency standards, and emphasize more efficient products and cleaner vehicles in government purchases.

They say North America has the "capacity, resources and the moral imperative" to build on that agreement.
giphy.gif

Hillary Clinton’s Ambitious Climate Change Plan Avoids Carbon Tax
Hillary Clinton, courting young voters and the broader Democratic base, has promised to one-up President Obama on climate change, vowing to produce a third of the nation’s electricity from renewable sources by 2027, three years faster than Mr. Obama, while spending billions of dollars to transform the energy economy.

A half-billion solar panels will be installed by 2020, she has promised, seven times the number today, and $60 billion will go to states and cities to develop more climate-friendly infrastructure, such as public transportation and energy-efficient buildings. She would put the United States on track to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent from 2005 levels by 2050. And, she says, she could achieve all that without new legislation from Congress.

But Mrs. Clinton has avoided mention of the one policy that economists widely see as the most effective way to tackle climate change — and one that would need Congress’s assent: putting a price or tax on carbon dioxide emissions.

Absent a carbon price, Mrs. Clinton plans to use a mix of new regulations, grant programs and spending on new infrastructure to achieve her targets. She would also spend $30 billion on a plan to help redevelop coal mining communities that are suffering economically in the wake of climate change policies.

But experts say that such a piecemeal approach, while it would feasibly reduce emissions, would probably be less efficient and more expensive than the imposition of a single carbon price. It would also probably reach a point of diminishing returns because the Obama regulations have already affected the two most polluting industries.

“She can continue to put out more rules,” Mr. Victor said. “But the Obama administration showed us the high-water mark for what is possible on climate change with executive authority.”

And Mrs. Clinton would need at least some action by Congress to meet her goals — legislators would need to appropriate the $60 billion she intends to spend on clean infrastructure grants to states, and the $30 billion to help coal communities.

WSJ: Exxon Touts Carbon Tax to Oil Industry

Exxon’s official position has long been the same—a carbon tax is the best way to address the risks of warming temperatures—but it has done little to actively advocate for that goal in recent years. Lately, Exxon has been making the case with its U.S. counterparts to support a carbon tax, arguing that the industry must not oppose all climate policies, according to people familiar with Exxon’s thinking.

Top Exxon officials have been more vocal about their support for a carbon tax and have met with Capitol Hill offices about related legislation, according to the company’s recent lobby disclosure forms.

For the past six months, Exxon has been asserting its position more in meetings within trade associations, including the American Petroleum Institute and American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers, according to multiple reports from people who have attended meetings with Exxon officials.

“Of the policy options being considered by governments, we believe a revenue-neutral carbon tax is the best,” Suzanne McCarron, the company’s vice president of public and government affairs, wrote in May in the Dallas Morning News.

A straightforward carbon tax that is revenue-neutral—meaning other taxes should be lowered to offset the impact—is far preferable to the patchwork of current and potential regulations on the state, federal and international levels, according to Exxon spokesman Alan Jeffers.

Mr. Jeffers said Exxon’s position hasn’t changed and pointed to a recent House vote on a resolution condemning a carbon tax and the global climate deal in Paris agreed to last December as reasons for the increased debate within the industry.

Even Drumpf’s energy adviser halfheartedly supports a carbon tax, and he’s a climate “skeptic”, too. Yet I’m the radical in here…

Reactions: 3 people
Renowned sun-watcher? That might explain it :p

That story made the rounds before. No need to brace yourselves.

I’m surprised the usual jokers missed this new one:
Claim that jet stream crossing equator is ‘climate emergency’ is utter nonsense

This response is how you know you are a zealot for the religion of climate alarmist.

You know I give no credence to your graphs and links and silliness.
But you claim to be objective. You claim to be versed in the science. You mock the subject of the article even though he is a meteorologist. You make no mention of sun activity which everyone (on both sides of the debate) agree DOES effect our global climate.
You simply go back to peddling anti-capitalism packaged in fear/guilt.

I enjoy showing how ridiculously fraudulent you are.

Reactions: 1 person
This response is how you know you are a zealot for the religion of climate alarmist.

You know I give no credence to your graphs and links and silliness.
But you claim to be objective. You claim to be versed in the science. You mock the subject of the article even though he is a meteorologist. You make no mention of sun activity which everyone (on both sides of the debate) agree DOES effect our global climate.
You simply go back to peddling anti-capitalism packaged in fear/guilt.

I enjoy showing how ridiculously fraudulent you are.
McDad can't take a joke?

Yes, I'm mocking the claims of an impending "Game-of-Thrones type" ice age. And yes, my link to my previous post on this topic does discuss solar and specifically sunspot activity. I don't know how you could've missed that unless you simply did not read it. I'll give you a pass, though, since I did just dump a bunch of links.

Scientists do agree that solar cycles impact global temperature. They also agree that, since 1750, CO2 alone has likely had at least 20x the warming impact of solar variation.

ipcc_rad_forc_ar5.jpg

(From AR5)

I enjoy our interactions, too.

Bump!

July was ‘absolutely’ Earth’s hottest month ever recorded
NOAA and NASA data reveal the Earth’s temperature reached its highest point in 136 years of record-keeping during July.

“July 2016 was absolutely the hottest month since the instrumental records began,” tweeted Gavin Schmidt, who directs NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, which is responsible for temperature measurements.

It was the 15th straight month of recording-breaking temperatures in NOAA’s analysis and 10th-straight in NASA’s, passing the previous hottest Julys by substantial margins.

The planet’s temperature has steadily risen in recent decades as heat-trapping gases have accumulated in the atmosphere. But temperatures have recently spiked, setting record highs two years in a row, in 2014 and 2015. One of the strongest El Niño events on record, dispersing heat from the Pacific Ocean into the atmosphere, has given temperatures an extra boost.

The El Niño event ended this spring, and the planet’s temperature difference from normal is no longer as remarkably high as it was earlier in the year. But it still remains at record highs.

“There’s been so much talk about El Niño this year, but this [warming] is not just El Niño,” said Donner. “The records set in 2016 have crushed the records set in previous El Niños.”

Cp-2E1yXEAAx4FX.jpg

NASA 12-month running average

Breakthrough as US and China agree to ratify Paris climate deal
The Paris agreement, sealed last December after two weeks of frantic negotiations, must be ratified by 55 countries, representing 55% of global emissions, in order to come into force.

The news that the world’s top two emitters – who are together responsible for about 38% of emissions – would formally ratify the deal is therefore a major step towards achieving that.

Before Saturday, only 24 countries – responsible for about 1% of global emissions – had ratified the agreement, while 180 had signed it.

Song said the move increased the likelihood that the Paris deal would be implemented by the end of this year, possibly even before November’s UN climate summit in Marrakesh. “This would not be happening without the US and China ratifying the agreement,” he said.

Climate campaigners now expected a ratification “surge” in September, with other major emitters such as Brazil, the world’s seventh largest emitter, following suit, Song added.

Li Shuo, Greenpeace’s China climate policy adviser, said that if the international community did succeed in bringing the Paris deal into effect by the end of 2016 it would have been achieved “at lightening speed” compared with most international treaties.

It shouldn't even be debatable that climate change is occuring. It has occurred throughout Earths history. That being said, man's effects on the climate are negligible at best. We are all going to die in an Ice Age no matter how much we limit the amount of farts we emit.

Reactions: 5 people
It shouldn't even be debatable that climate change is occuring. It has occurred throughout Earths history. That being said, man's effects on the climate are negligible at best. We are all going to die in an Ice Age no matter how much we limit the amount of farts we emit.

This

@BadlandsNPS Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years. #climate

I thought 8 years ago the planet was going to begin to heal. Thanks Obama

Fro WIRED May 2016

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wi...r-plant-caught-fire-thats-least-problems/amp/

...“Ivanpah has been such a mess,” says Adam Schultz, program manager at the UC Davis Energy Institute and former analyst for the CPUC. “If [the fire] knocks them offline, it’s going to further dig them in.” On top of the technical challenges, the plant has had to deal with PR headaches like reports of scorched birds and blinded pilots from its mirrors."...

Lots to do here but I love the concept.

Mirror control, fires, sizzles birds and I mean fast, blinds airplane pilots, salt cooling problems

I hope nothing that good detailing can't handle.

Storing heat to make electricity after the sun goes down is bringing solar closer to base load capability on a small scale. THIS instead of waiting on better batteries to make green energy viable.

Everyone! In light of the latest prediction, pease do you part to warm the Earth as quickly as possible. Thank you.

Why the sun going blank means a ‘Game of Thrones’-like winter is coming | New York Post

Meteorologist and renowned sun-watcher Paul Dorian raised the alarm in*his latest report, which has sparked a mild panic about an impending Game of Thrones-style winter not seen since the 17th century.
Where are the liberals to tell us that us evil humans are the cause of this impending doom? As a Phoenix, AZ resident, I say bring on the damn winter! It's a little warm around here.

Just read the article and noticed that it's from 2016 and this great mini-ice age was going to impact us in 2019 or 2020. Just another worthless hack scientist.

VN Store

Back