Clemson sues, wants to leave the ACC

They sued in SC, so now the ACC is facing three suits in three different states, and their two biggest football brands (FSU and Clemson) want to leave.

If they are successful, do we want them in the SEC? I know South Carolina doesn',t.
If they are successful then what is the sense in having a written contract? Nobody held a gun to their head and made them sign. Only schools I would want would be 1 from North Carolina and 1 from Virginia, preferably UNC and UVA but more likely VT and NC State.

Reactions: TrueOrange
It is only a matter of time until they reshuffle the deck and create a new version of college football. NIL and the portal are making it unsustainable for many schools. Sankey and Petetti are going to give the lesser schools the Buffalo Wings boxout. The Vanderbilts and the Colorado States of the world will be watching from the sidelines as 30-40 schools fight over a massive amount of cash. Kicking these schools out of their conferences or getting out their current conferences will be a legal nightmare. So they will form some new version of the NCAA focused on football with some provisions for basketball and baseball.

Reactions: Pennheel
On our way to 2 super conferences

There already are two super conferences...

Who does the Big 12 have left of any national level significance in football? They only have Kansas in basketball that has a historical footprint.

The ACC is slightly better off with Clemson, FSU and Miami (though they tend to be a dumpster fire most years). A bit better off in basketball. But don't bring a lot to the table otherwise.

Let's face it, the Big 12 is now a Super G5 conference that may claim a few spots in the top 25 every year in CFB. The ACC is imploding. The Pac-2 will probably accept membership in the Mountain West before long... not that either school brings much to the table.

There really are only two conferences left.

Greed has ruined college sports.

Two 25-team mega-conferences---what fun. Boosters and fans will send all their money to their NIL collectives, like church-going rubes send money to corrupt Sunday preachers, so they can shower cash on teenage prospects destined to become backup linebackers, in the hope that the team can come in 8th in the conference. The program will send a box of CrackerJax to all contributors as a thank-you.

It's all gotten extremely stupid, I'm sorry to say, all in the name of hyped up TV broadcasts.
You may want to consider other options. If it distresses you so badly, there is the option of not watching it anymore. As the other poster said, you’ve only beaten the dead horse a million times with the same comments. You have something in common with Chicken Little and “the sky is falling”. Nobody is paying attention.

FSU has shot up in the academic rankings the last few years. I would guess that they are either AAU or well on their way to becoming such.

B10 got holier than though about the AAU thing during the last major expansions 10-ish years ago.

I agree with you that they will nab Clemson-mainly I was just making a tongue in cheek joke about the B10 having ro eat their words.
FSU is not AAU. Here’s your AAU list:

FSU doesn’t seem to be near its requirements yet. Miami - oddly enough - is.

I would take that to the bank. They are a natural fit for the SEC footprint.

If the SEC doesn't take them, the BIG would easily want them to expand into the south.
FSU and the SEC have been doing this dance for what 60 years? They would’ve been in the conference in the nineties if not for their board wanting to go to ACC.

I know the SEC seems to have double markets in the states of Tennessee, Alabama, Texas and Mississippi. Since this is all about TV money, would the SEC want either of those two schools?

Seems Clemson is already on their trajectory back down to middle weight so, I don’t see the interest for them as an SEC school.

Edit: wasn’t the original expansion with Arkansas and USCe because of TV markets and aTm and Missouri as well?

I know the SEC seems to have double markets in the states of Tennessee, Alabama, Texas and Mississippi. Since this is all about TV money, would the SEC want either of those two schools?

Seems Clemson is already on their trajectory back down to middle weight so, I don’t see the interest for them as an SEC school.

Edit: wasn’t the original expansion with Arkansas and USCe because of TV markets and aTm and Missouri as well?
I think as things develop the TV providers have to realize that "having" a market is not equal. UT and Vandy have the same "market", or if anything Vandy has the bigger market. however, they are not getting the same bang for the buck between Vandy and UT. UT is far more valuable to broadcast than Vandy ever could be, even if they technically have the bigger market.

UF/FSU/Miami is probably pretty equal in numbers but I would assume in reality those viewerships do not overlap to a point to negate the benefit of adding them.

I really think they need to look at actual viewership numbers of these markets. see who is turning in to see which games.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
FSU is not AAU. Here’s your AAU list:

FSU doesn’t seem to be near its requirements yet. Miami - oddly enough - is.

Miami and USF were admitted into the AAU last year. That probably hurts FSU short term because of politics regarding number of AAU schools from each state. AAU typically announces new schools in late May/early June.

The biggest hurdle for AAU admission is how much research funding an institution brings in. That greatly favors institutions with medical schools because medical research generates the largest amount of research funding. FSU has a medical school but it is relatively new and still small.

On Andy Staples podcast last week he mentioned something that was leaked from the FSU case, that hasn’t gotten much notoriety. Basically what was leaked, says that ESPN has a check in clause that allows them to reassess the contract w/ the ACC in 2026 or 27, which obviously is still several years away. The issue is that a decision has to be made by February of 2025(forgive me for not remembering everything exactly as it was said) . Meaning ESPN can sort of opt out of this deal and then the floodgates open. So the way that I interpreted it, is that by at the latest of 2/25 the ACC could be officially dead man walking.
They already are dead as a “P” maybe live on as a “G”, just a question of how many years to live.

ACC filed a countersuit today against Clemson, and it’s pretty specific. Basically, they document when Clemson willingly signed the agreement multiple times and agreed not to sue them, which obviously they went back on. Used some of the language they used in their countersuit against FSU

Reactions: LouderVol
I think as things develop the TV providers have to realize that "having" a market is not equal. UT and Vandy have the same "market", or if anything Vandy has the bigger market. however, they are not getting the same bang for the buck between Vandy and UT. UT is far more valuable to broadcast than Vandy ever could be, even if they technically have the bigger market.

UF/FSU/Miami is probably pretty equal in numbers but I would assume in reality those viewerships do not overlap to a point to negate the benefit of adding them.

I really think they need to look at actual viewership numbers of these markets. see who is turning in to see which games.
I know for certain that Missouri didn’t add enough value to warrant their share in money. Even though they have St. Louis and Kansas City, folks in that state only care about the Chiefs. Same with baseball.

I have no idea about most of the other states when it comes to sports.

They sued in SC, so now the ACC is facing three suits in three different states, and their two biggest football brands (FSU and Clemson) want to leave.

If they are successful, do we want them in the SEC? I know South Carolina doesn',t.
Nope....Don't want em, I prefer UNC and UVA...Perfect fit for the SEC.

Nope....Don't want em, I prefer UNC and UVA...Perfect fit for the SEC.
Need to add eight teams. N.C. , N.C. State , Va. , Va Tech to add to the footprint TV market, Clemson , Fl. State, Miami and Okla State to protect the footprint,

Need to add eight teams. N.C. , N.C. State , Va. , Va Tech to add to the footprint TV market, Clemson , Fl. State, Miami and Okla State to protect the footprint,

OKST adds nothing to the conference or the footprint. I'd rather steal UCF and lock in Florida.

VT adds nothing in the year 2024

Ditto NC State. Somehow the SEC will make it without the Raleigh market where 90% of their fans are.

Both would be questionable for even the B12 at this point.

The league learned it's lesson with the A&M/Mizzu expansion. Taking teams just to be taking them doesn't really benefit the other members. Both have been a net negative honestly. Can easily make the same argument for Arkansas and S. Carolina.

Texas and OU-yeah, you gotta make that move for both the financials as well as the prestige.

Miami is quickly approaching Nebraska territory. Great in the 80s and 90s and done jack squat since for the most part. Actually, Nebraska seems to have bottomed out-Miami is still sinking. (yes, I realize the irony as our history between 2007-2020 was horrid also. We have bounced back in huge way and have momentum-NE and Miami have yet to start their climb out of their respective messes)

VT adds nothing in the year 2024

Ditto NC State. Somehow the SEC will make it without the Raleigh market where 90% of their fans are.

Both would be questionable for even the B12 at this point.

The league learned it's lesson with the A&M/Mizzu expansion. Taking teams just to be taking them doesn't really benefit the other members. Both have been a net negative honestly. Can easily make the same argument for Arkansas and S. Carolina.

Texas and OU-yeah, you gotta make that move for both the financials as well as the prestige.

Miami is quickly approaching Nebraska territory. Great in the 80s and 90s and done jack squat since for the most part. Actually, Nebraska seems to have bottomed out-Miami is still sinking. (yes, I realize the irony as our history between 2007-2020 was horrid also. We have bounced back in huge way and have momentum-NE and Miami have yet to start their climb out of their respective messes)
I think the difference between Nebraska and Miami is that Miami is in a fertile recruiting ground. Nebraska is corn fields.

It's taken some really poor leadership for Miami to be down.

Reactions: LouderVol
OKST adds nothing to the conference or the footprint. I'd rather steal UCF and lock in Florida.
I’d actually be ok w/ adding Ok state if the SEC’s hand was forced . Im big on preserving rivalries and I think it’s a shame that Bedlam is gone.

VN Store

Back