CJP's first UT recruiting class missing on in-state talent

Tennessee HS football isnt same as elsewhere in US. Yes, it has gotten better.

IOW, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As the population of this country continues to shift, as in people from the North, such as Ohio or Michigan moving to middle Tennessee, then more and more high schools will be built and more football teams will be fielded.
In Nashville, alone, there are 84 people moving here each day. Not sure how many kids are in that stat or if it is merely college graduates moving here.

Passed on poor in state talent...yeah sure. Those coaches from other schools just don't know what they are doing taking Tennessee kids. Much rather have a 3* from Ga or Al than a 4* from Tennessee, guess Pruitt stole one from ETSU.

Passed on poor in state talent...yeah sure. Those coaches from other schools just don't know what they are doing taking Tennessee kids. Much rather have a 3* from Ga or Al than a 4* from Tennessee, guess Pruitt stole one from ETSU.

Muh-ha-ha!

Depends on where they go. If it’s to other high level SEC schools or OSU, then it’s a problem. We want Norton, Hampton, and Kane, who are committed to UGA, LSU, and OSU.

I don’t get that upset when we lose kids to Oregon, South Carolina, or even Oklahoma. Those kids would probably be staying local if they had other options.

It would be a bigger deal if Tennessee was loaded with in-state talent. I think it is worth noting that out of the top 10 prospects in the state of Tennessee, 8 are committed. Of the 8 that are committed, 4 of them are going outside the SEC. Out of the top 20 prospects, 12 are committed, and 6 are going outside the SEC. It's not like we are overwhelmingly losing these guys to conference rivals.

None are five-star prospects and the highest-rated kid in the state (Lance Wilhoite) is a .9483 overall. Compare that with the state of Georgia, which has 8 five-star prospects (Wanya Morris is one of them) and 10 guys who are all rated above the state of Tennessee's top prospect.

This year's crop of talent out of Tennessee, at least according to 247, doesn't look all that stellar anyway.

There are 9 four-star seniors in the state of Tennessee and 7 of them are committed to other schools. The article makes a valid point.

Pruitt definitely passed on some of those guys; but we got beat for Bill Norton, Maurice Hampton, and Kane Patterson. Simple as that.

There are 9 four-star seniors in the state of Tennessee and 7 of them are committed to other schools. The article makes a valid point.

Pruitt definitely passed on some of those guys; but we got beat for Bill Norton, Maurice Hampton, and Kane Patterson. Simple as that.

To be fair, I believe Hampton was committed before Pruitt got the job.

If we surprise some people this season (8+ wins) i could see Norton’s interest growing. Not sure Patterson would be worth trying to flip seeing as we have some good linebackers already and several that we’re in for this coming class (Crouch, Henry)

If we surprise some people this season (8+ wins) i could see Norton’s interest growing.

I don't know - Memphis can be hard for UT to recruit. Norton's grandfather went to LSU. Sometimes it seems like Memphis isn't even in the state of Tennessee. Hell, it might be just as hard to recruit Atlanta, and there is a lot more talent in Atlanta than Memphis. Shorter travel time too.

To be fair, I believe Hampton was committed before Pruitt got the job.

Hampton is the only one of those 3 that would have ever considered us. Norton and Patterson were never gonna pick us regardless.

Edit meant to quote the post above this one.

I don't know - Memphis can be hard for UT to recruit. Norton's grandfather went to LSU. Sometimes it seems like Memphis isn't even in the state of Tennessee. Hell, it might be just as hard to recruit Atlanta, and there is a lot more talent in Atlanta than Memphis. Shorter travel time too.

Yes, it can be. But the private school kids can be easier to recruit because many of their peers attending UT. I believe Norton’s father is also from Alabama and a fan of theirs. So, there are other factors in his recruitment.

Thank you so much for your service but if you, and others, can't properly configure your browsers, that's on you.

Can't properly configure my browser on a cellphone.....

You keep adding the word Link in which is unnecessary. All you have to do is link it the correct way. [•url]website[•/url]

Then everyone is happy.

Last edited:
Can't properly configure my browser on a cellphone.....

You keep adding the word Link in which is unnecessary. All you have to do is link it the correct way. [•url]website[•/url]

Then everyone is happy.

You don't even have to do that. Just past the entire link and post and it will add the url for you.

You have to recruit guys you think will fit your system. If CJP doesnt think the instate guys are right, then who cares?

Winning cures everything.

Reactions: 2 people
I harped on this for a while and got torched by some "gurus" on here.But, I talked to a guy (not a call in show) who is a college football insider. He explained what CJP is looking for in HS players and what his philosophy is. I get what he is tying to do and trust CJP.

For reasons I dont know, Pruitt and his staff are NOT high on the 2019 in state class. However the 2020 class is a different story from what I hear.

VN Store

Back