Chris Kyle: American hero or

Is that a precondition to be considered a hero? That you're forced to do it

In fact, I think it's the exact opposite

I think what he's saying is:

- A guy that joins the military and becomes a sniper that kills people is doing his job.

- A guy that joins the military to be a cook that is thrust into a position where he has to kill people in defense of an orphanage is a hero.

At least that's how I see it. If you're a trained sniper... shooting a bunch of untrained or low trained villagers is your job. I respect Kyle, but killing hajis isn't heroic.

And you lose about 1,000 hero points if you walk around and boast about yourself and how you're a hero. That's (also see: Mark Owen) fairly poorly received. AFAIK Carlos Hathcock didn't write a book about himself. Neither did Basilone. Sledge wrote a book but that was in reverence and remembrance of the guys he served with. Sledge didn't talk up himself.

See where I'm going? Braggarts, regardless of the foundation of the bragging, are caustic and go against the "selfless service" nature of the military.

Reactions: 2 people

- A guy that joins the military and becomes a sniper that kills people is doing his job.

- A guy that joins the military to be a cook that is thrust into a position where he has to kill people in defense of an orphanage is a hero.

At least that's how I see it. If you're a trained sniper... shooting a bunch of untrained or low trained villagers is your job. I respect Kyle, but killing hajis isn't heroic.

And you lose about 1,000 hero points if you walk around and boast about yourself and how you're a hero. That's (also see: Mark Owen) fairly poorly received. AFAIK Carlos Hathcock didn't write a book about himself. Neither did Basilone. Sledge wrote a book but that was in reverence and remembrance of the guys he served with. Sledge didn't talk up himself.

See where I'm going? Braggarts, regardless of the foundation of the bragging, are caustic and go against the "selfless service" nature of the military.

I can agree with this. "hero" is overused these days. But his job was pretty extraordinary, and at times probably saved the lives of other soldiers. I hope he killed lots of them.

Reactions: 1 person
Haven't seen the movie, but in the trailer shows him with his sight on a kid carrying a bomb. Does he shoot the kid?

Meh. The guy might brag about what he did, but it didn't change that fact that he did what he did.

When one decides to join the service, obviously they are accepting the risks that come with it. But the act in and of itself is more courage than many can muster - particularly when it's the special forces.

Meh. The guy might brag about what he did, but it didn't change that fact that he did what he did.

When one decides to join the service, obviously they are accepting the risks that come with it. But the act in and of itself is more courage than many can muster - particularly when it's the special forces.

He also bragged about a lot of stuff that he didn't really do as well, though. Which I don't really understand the compulsion to do so considering all the real **** he went through, to still make as much stuff up as he did paints a strange picture about the guy.

He also bragged about a lot of stuff that he didn't really do as well, though. Which I don't really understand the compulsion to do so considering all the real **** he went through, to still make as much stuff up as he did paints a strange picture about the guy.

The facts stand on their own. I don't care about all the other BS

Kind of odd some of you especially prior military types (like myself) would classify him as just doing his job. I didn't get two silver stars and 5 bronze stars (for valor) by just doing my job. Exaggerated? How do you exaggerate 2 silver stars?

Reactions: 5 people
Haven't seen the movie, but in the trailer shows him with his sight on a kid carrying a bomb. Does he shoot the kid?

Yes and he should have. Kid was running towards a convoy with a grenade. If he doesn't shoot the kid then he kills a handful of marines.

What did he brag about? I'm reading his book and he tells some stories but I'm not seeing too much boasting.

Kind of odd some of you especially prior military types (like myself) would classify him as just doing his job. I didn't get two silver stars and 5 bronze stars (for valor) by just doing my job. Exaggerated? How do you exaggerate 2 silver stars?

Sandvol sir, you are a damn beast, sir!

Wassup mr president ?

Great movie and portrayed Kyle as I think he really was from all the interviews I have heard and read. Very.....very intense. Well worth your time. God Bless these United States of America.

The President of the USA,
B.O.

What did he brag about? I'm reading his book and he tells some stories but I'm not seeing too much boasting.

I agree, read the book, and almost everything that has come out since his death, and the movie
I don't get the bragging that is associated with him

It's a tragedy the way he died, especially trying to help fellow veterans with PTSD

I was fortunate to earn one Bronze Star,
what he did doesn't need to be diminished

every unit over there had and continues to have snipers, and others are right they are doing a job there trained for, but some go above and beyond

Kyle was one of them

VN Store

Back