China Threatens War With The U.S.

Or driven by trade routes within the region. The South China Sea and Straits of Malacca are a major trade route for Chinese exports and energy imports.
They’re major trade routes for lots of nations doing shipping in the region and another reason they should stay international. If anything the trade routes show more how much this is a power play by China in my opinion.

Or driven by trade routes within the region. The South China Sea and Straits of Malacca are a major trade route for Chinese exports and energy imports.
trade routes we stabilized for the region. and have done nothing but protect and enforce. the chinese are the ones redirecting trade routes of foreign ships so they take longer, giving their ships quicker access.

also China has a pretty dang long history of militaristic expansion. Tibet being the most recent. they have also fought the Japanese and Koreans any number of times. and they didn't get to be such a large country of so many diverse cultures peacefully.

except for MAYBE Nepal, no country exists that didn't get where it is thru military conquest.

They’re major trade routes for lots of nations doing shipping in the region and another reason they should stay international. If anything the trade routes show more how much this is a power play by China in my opinion.
China has no interest in bottle necking that region. Just stop...

https://www.cfr.org/chinasea

China has constructed a military airfield in the newly formed reef island. Military installations are sovereign soil. Thus China is laying sovereign claim in the Spratleys. A claim the US has never made while insuring the shipping lanes remained safe and open.

They are not going to do anything to give the "international community" (read "Americans") any reason to come over and disturb their trade routes.
They are asserting sovereign boundaries. That’s a fact. So prove your case.

We never asserted sovereign boundaries. Also a fact.

They are asserting sovereign boundaries. That’s a fact. So prove your case.

We never asserted sovereign boundaries. Also a fact.
You haven't proven that these 9 or so atolls were violations of anyone's sovereignty. Those islands/atolls have only been disputed about since the end of WWII... before then, they were clearly understood to be Chinese possessions for the previous 2000 or so years.

Not saying that’s wrong the way you phrased it , they are concerned about becoming the worlds top economy . By ignoring what China does , how they do it , turning a blind eye to them as they do it , is how we helped build China into what it is today . Saying that they have no other interest besides trade is well... foolish .

China has no interest in bottle necking that region. Just stop...
They have already started. Plenty of civilian boat traffic getting turned away or having warning shots thrown their way. Them playing chicken with our war boats is indicative of their attitude and policy. They are trying to bully the whole area.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
You haven't proven that these 9 or so atolls were violations of anyone's sovereignty. Those islands/atolls have only been disputed about since the end of WWII... before then, they were clearly understood to be Chinese possessions for the previous 2000 or so years.
Yeah then your nation collapses and gets it butt kicked you lose territory. They had signed an international treaty regarding those islands and they are breaking it.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
We didn’t own the land we live on 2000 years ago. And China is the only power to put a permanent military base in those islands. Yes I’ve proven my claim. This is classic expansionism. You keep ignoring all of the natural resources also in the region. It’s more than trade routes. But them claiming sovereign territory in international trade lanes is expansionist enough.

Look. I know you’re a live and let live guy. And I do respect that. But in this case China is most definitely not being live and let live. It’s a power play plain and simple. And no we’re not going to just let them do it.

We didn’t own the land we live on 2000 years ago. And China is the only power to put a permanent military base in those islands. Yes I’ve proven my claim. This is classic expansionism. You keep ignoring all of the natural resources also in the region. It’s more than trade routes. But them claiming sovereign territory in international trade lanes is expansionist enough.

Look. I know you’re a live and let live guy. And I do respect that. But in this case China is most definitely not being live and let live. It’s a power play plain and simple. And no we’re not going to just let them do it.
Classic expansionism? 9 atolls? As compared to the British or Spanish conquering entire continents?

Ras live and let live only works if all parties involved agree to do so. When one becomes aggressive and starts imposing on the rest how much do you take before you say enough ?

Also of all the countries that lay claims to the various islands all but China can provide a basis within UNCLOS and their 200 mile economic exclusion zone. China’s claim is purely historical.

Last edited:
Ras live and let live only works if all parties involved agree to do so. When one becomes aggressive and starts imposing on the rest how much do you take before you say enough ?

Also of all the countries that lay claims to the various islands all but China can provide a basis within UNCLOS and their 200 mile economic exclusion zone. China’s claim is purely historical.
The only aggressive party in all of this is the country that seems to want to dictate what is going on halfway around the world. If these other countries have an issue, let them resolve it. But we don't need to concern ourselves in a regional dispute over a few islands or atolls. It is very clear that China is interested in protecting their interests in that region. America has no interests in that region, other than to disrupt Chinese shipments and possibly use the area themselves as a military staging ground.

Using that as your yard stick, how can you then defend the claims by Taiwan and Japan?

VN Store

Back