Charles Mosley and Dimarya Mixon no longer with team

So you expect me to believe that CBJ is going to let players go before spring practice, on a team that didn't have the depth to beat a 5-6 Vandy team last season...so that he can bring in more recruits in Feb 2018? lol...ok

Lol....ok. <---see, I can also laugh.

I don't expect you to believe anything. You act like this has not been done before. Mosley did nothing here. Mixon...here are his whopping 3 year career stats here. 19 tackles. 3.5 tackles for loss. 1 sack. You use Vandy in your post. I'm not even sure Mixon played in that game. If he did, he did absolutely nothing...what did his "depth" matter?

There is no worthwhile reason to keep Mosley and Mixon's 3 year production wasn't much better than Mosley's nothing. Add to the fact that Mixon was also apparently in trouble...why keep them?

Give me a reason why this is such a laughable concept.

Reactions: 5 people
Mixon probably would have been a significant contributor.

Attrition happens everywhere. At UT under Jones it has been higher than average and included players who were due to contribute or who were getting PT.

Maybe they didn't quit? Maybe it was discipline. But not a good sign if two more guys just walked away.

Our attrition numbers are very similar to other SEC coaches their first four years. Alabama's was a little higher under Saban.

Reactions: 3 people
To break it down for you: last year, our overall roster was around 74. In addition to being down approximately 11 players, we had close to 20 injuries. Now, our roster is over the 85, so we have to make cuts.

As far as not beating Vandy, not only were we down key 1st stringers, but we were down 2nd stringers. So, guys that should have been our depth were forced to grind out games with little relief. Guys that weren't ready for the load they were forced to carry.
Thanks Butch, excuses get old, fyi

I can honestly say I know both Charles and Dmix. Charles never had the get up and go. It does not surprise me in the slightest. I don’t think he ever bought it. As for Dmix I have a class with him and he made it clear at the begining of the semester he was graduating and just done with football. Charles saw limitted action and only played on punt team sometimes and on the O line against Tennessee Tech. He was in on a play where he pulled from his guard spot and couldn’t even get around the center in time.

Reactions: 2 people
No, I don't think we were a good team. But I have been told for the last 4 months that I am a complete buffoon because obviously we didn't have enough depth to compete with Vandy. So I'm hoping one of those people can tell me how that's possible, but now we can just afford to let players go.

We are a lot like Michigan the hype before the season and then finish 2nd or 3rd in your division.:eek:hmy:

To break it down for you: last year, our overall roster was around 74. In addition to being down approximately 11 players, we had close to 20 injuries. Now, our roster is over the 85, so we have to make cuts.

As far as not beating Vandy, not only were we down key 1st stringers, but we were down 2nd stringers. So, guys that should have been our depth were forced to grind out games with little relief. Guys that weren't ready for the load they were forced to carry.

Cut the dead weight. Get the roster size where it's suppose to be.

I said in another post. If Mixon in fact played in the Vandy game, he didn't do a damn thing while he was in. Absolutely not one single stat for him in that game...but with only 19 total tackles in three years, not that much of a surprise.

Lol....ok. <---see, I can also laugh.

I don't expect you to believe anything. You act like this has not been done before. Mosley did nothing here. Mixon...here are his whopping 3 year career stats here. 19 tackles. 3.5 tackles for loss. 1 sack. You use Vandy in your post. I'm not even sure Mixon played in that game. If he did, he did absolutely nothing...what did his "depth" matter?

There is no worthwhile reason to keep Mosley and Mixon's 3 year production wasn't much better than Mosley's nothing. Add to the fact that Mixon was also apparently in trouble...why keep them?

Give me a reason why this is such a laughable concept.

No, to me its not a big deal losing these two in particular, but i would like to know why. My concern is more of attrition with the inability to build quality depth. I would think that if it was solely a scholarship numbers game, they would wait until after spring ball to see if they could salvage the two for some playing time rather than cut ties and habe two less people competing.

You didn't understand the math that put our numbers low last year while putting our numbers high now, so I explained the math.

Excuses may get old, but the *****ing never does. Keep up the good fight!

A four year coach using injuries and lack of depth to beat an sec bottomfeeder is an excuse.

No, to me its not a big deal losing these two in particular, but i would like to know why. My concern is more of attrition with the inability to build quality depth. I would think that if it was solely a scholarship numbers game, they would wait until after spring ball to see if they could salvage the two for some playing time rather than cut ties and habe two less people competing.

I'm guessing they didn't even feel they could/would compete. If they can't/won't compete, why keep them around?

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure Charles' broken femur caused him a permanent setback on his ability to move, especially at 350 lbs. But he was behind two walk ons (Bain and Cave) for playing time.

Looks like Mosley has joined the Long list of College Football Busts!! A Shame, wish them the best.

No idea what CM's work ethic was, but it seemed his accident was pretty severe - 40 years after breaking my leg it's still not right. Is a shame.

Last edited:
Attrition happens everywhere and with every program. Guys never pain out and get recruited over. Unfortunate, but still we'll be fine. All part of that 30+ class, you should realize it will happen. This is probably only the beginning.

I get what your saying, but look at the attrition under butch... yikes... he's lost over a whole class and then some.

Because it wouldnt make sense to me. Why not wait until after spring to see what you have and if these guys can turn the page, since we obviously have a depth problem?

Did you miss the part where we need to "lose" two more to get our freshman DT's on the roster? Kivon Bennett,Matt Butler and Crosby (more than) make up for Mixon and AIR makes up for Mosley.

Reactions: 5 people
Not sure, thats why i wonder if there is more to it. It cant simply be a cutting numbers thing.

Another poster said earlier Mixon had said to him he was done with football. Maybe he just lost the drive. If that's the case, best just to cut him instead of keeping him around other players. Maybe he wasn't the first choice of people to possibly cut. Maybe he made that choice for the coaches.

Mosley? That was just a swing and a miss all around IMO. I'm sure his accident may have played into it somehow, but seriously, you have to do something if you want to stay on the team I would guess.

Did you miss the part where we need to "lose" two more to get our freshman DT's on the roster? Kivon Bennett,Matt Butler and Crosby (more than) make up for Mixon and AIR makes up for Mosley.

Is there a deadline where that has to be done by?

August 5 I think.

Okay, and thats why i dont get it right now and think there is something more. I remember Mixon having issues. But if its me, i would want as much competition going into spring as i could have.

Im not saying its the wrong thing to do, but would like to know the back story.

I get what your saying, but look at the attrition under butch... yikes... he's lost over a whole class and then some.

Actually...high 30's to low 40's percentage wise is pretty standard across P5 schools. Bama's the last couple of years have been extremely low, but prior to that Saban had several classes that had high 40's and into the 50's percentages on attrition rates.

Obviously, your always going to have some schools that can keep it lower regularly and you will have some that have high rates regularly.....but the average attrition rates for most schools are higher than most people probably realize.

Side note: I think our 2009 class had something like a 79% attrition rate.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back