CBJ - There is no year "0"

What is wrong with what he said? He just wants to see results right away. I am less inclined to give him as much of a pass as Dooley was given. I would like to see some measurable improvement the first year. The first steps are staff and recruiting. recruiting is the key to everything. You can't compete in the SEC unless you have a top 10 recruiting class.

Can someone insert one of those "Captain Obvious" pics here?

I can say that you could tell in Season 2 that Dooley had little to offer. It is no so much the wins and loses but the type of team that's on the field. Anyone that couldn't see that Dooley had issues after year two was a pure optimist.

I agree with the OP to a pt. Dooley got year 0 not because he made up excuses but frankly the program was a mess for goodness sake he didn't have a QB that had been on campus. And the only one he could ride turned out to be a pampered b**ch. If cdd didn't get some leeway then CBJ shouldn't either. I really don't totally care for his offense so I hope he adjusts it accordingly for long term success in the SEC. His O is fine for the other conferences but not for the longterm top of ours. Point blank. I want to be at the the top that's what I was promised by all y'all that wanted Dooley gone. Sooooooo let's get there ASAP!!!

Another concern of mine with his O is that if he tries to completely implement it and then it doesn't get us where we should be and he gone then the next coach is stuck trying to rebuild a roster of typical UT/sec players to get us back on track. Just throwing it out there that's all...cause after reading through the forum the last few days it seems many are going to be just happy to getting to the middle of the pack in the sec.

I totally agree with this guy. Jones will immediately be judged against Saban and Miles. Any less success next year and we need to call for Jones head. Also, if he does not create a staff that rivals the best [ and should steal from the best] then he should be run out of town. He must not keep the Cincy coaches he knows and has worked with, c'mon now. OK - win the East next year, the SEC in 14 and the Nat'l Championship in 15 or you are gone loser. Signed, Realistic VN fan[ /QUOTE]

What world do you live in? It's to early to be plastered out of your mind.

I can say that you could tell in Season 2 that Dooley had little to offer. It is no so much the wins and loses but the type of team that's on the field. Anyone that couldn't see that Dooley had issues after year two was a pure optimist.

Do you mean the yr that he pretty much had no jr class and had to try to ride a true soph class? The one that he started 3-0 with a solid win over our new coach? The one that he lost one of his star players in on the first play of the first conference game of the season? Did I mention he was riding a bunch of sophs he had to try to get motivated after the ballon was busted when hunter went down?? The season that had a sr RB that clearly ran "not to get hurt" so he wouldn't ruin any shot at the league? The season that his starting soph QB broke his finger in?? The season he had to kick the top defensive player on the team and maybe one of the best in the country off the team during fall camp???

Is that the 2nd season you are talking about?? Just wondering so I know. If you could do better than i will personally pay your salary to be the next hc of the Vols. Smh :blink:

Last edited:
I totally agree with this guy. Jones will immediately be judged against Saban and Miles. Any less success next year and we need to call for Jones head. Also, if he does not create a staff that rivals the best [ and should steal from the best] then he should be run out of town. He must not keep the Cincy coaches he knows and has worked with, c'mon now. OK - win the East next year, the SEC in 14 and the Nat'l Championship in 15 or you are gone loser. Signed, Realistic VN fan

Love it!

Well he is now the coach. I expect him to start work immediately without similar excuses like the last coach brought in. Year 1 is now. I will begin to judge him immediately on what staff is brought in and how recruiting goes.

We were promised the best staff in all of college football. Somewhat of an exaggeration, but I do not expect the best staff to be made up primarily of cinc coaches. They were not the best staff in football. I expect better. Don't know if we will get it, hope so.

Secondly, I will judge him on his upcoming recruiting. We will see if he can bring in quality talent immediately this year replacing some of the less than stellar recruits we currently have and not lose the few quality recruits we do have, or will we continue down the route of the "dooley diamonds". Waiting to see.

I think from these two important aspects, we will begin to see in the next couple of weeks what we have.

I also expect if these processes do not go well, we will start to hear the same tired old excuses from the sheep. Not been here long enough. Inherited a dumpster fire. Just needs time. Etc.

do you believe everything you hear. jones also called this his dream job which is total horse crap. he will have 5 or 6 guys off cincy on his staff, it won't sniff the best in the country. alot of volfans believe what they hear and not what they see. to be honest after one day i'm not impressed at all. come on butch show us something.

Part of the reason that message boards like this and others have so many junk posters is that those that should have no reproductive rights are allowed to breed more idiots.

Have you enjoyed having 3 losing seasons in a row and watching the program fall from the pinnacle of success to rock bottom in less than 14 years? Then keep supporting it by being "true" VFL's and never questioning what is happening at UT. Ever since Johnson retired it has been on a downward spiral on the sports side with increased control given to the academic side. Normally that is not necessarily bad. But at UT it means killing the goose that laid the golden egg, which hurts both sides.

I don't advocate loosening the rules for more dumb jocks. But I do think the move away from providing a quality education to the students from the state of TN first and foremost, which is what a land grant university's primary mission is legally and morally; is a huge mistake for UT and its sports programs. Welcome to Vandy. At least they are private and can do what they want legally.

So that all means for those of you with rocks for brains is that the donors/season ticket holders that are part of the golden goose (like Doolittle) that built the program's legacy and makes it all work on a top tier level are going to wave goodbye over time if UT does not hire Tennessee people in key roles that will return it to its primary mission. That has nothing to do with Butch Jones - I wish him and the players nothing but success. It has everything to do with hiring Bammers, Gators and other non-UT background idiots as UT's top administrators. Because of them we end up with coaching turnover and mediocrity year after year in all of the major sports.

Enjoy your empty seats and lower donations, Cheek, Hart and BOT. So what will you do then, Big Jim and Gov?

Is that the 2nd season you are talking about?? Just wondering so I know. If you could do better than i will personally pay your salary to be the next hc of the Vols. Smh :blink:
That's exactly the season I'm talking about. I didn't say I could coach them better, but I could tell Dooley could not. And I respect your ability to put reason aside and find the good things that Dooley did. I just could not. Looking back, still can't.

Part of the reason that message boards like this and others have so many junk posters is that those that should have no reproductive rights are allowed to breed more idiots.

Have you enjoyed having 3 losing seasons in a row and watching the program fall from the pinnacle of success to rock bottom in less than 14 years? Then keep supporting it by being "true" VFL's and never questioning what is happening at UT. Ever since Johnson retired it has been on a downward spiral on the sports side with increased control given to the academic side. Normally that is not necessarily bad. But at UT it means killing the goose that laid the golden egg, which hurts both sides.

I don't advocate loosening the rules for more dumb jocks. But I do think the move away from providing a quality education to the students from the state of TN first and foremost, which is what a land grant university's primary mission is legally and morally; is a huge mistake for UT and its sports programs. Welcome to Vandy. At least they are private and can do what they want legally.

So that all means for those of you with rocks for brains is that the donors/season ticket holders that are part of the golden goose (like Doolittle) that built the program's legacy and makes it all work on a top tier level are going to wave goodbye over time if UT does not hire Tennessee people in key roles that will return it to its primary mission. That has nothing to do with Butch Jones - I wish him and the players nothing but success. It has everything to do with hiring Bammers, Gators and other non-UT background idiots as UT's top administrators. Because of them we end up with coaching turnover and mediocrity year after year in all of the major sports.

Enjoy your empty seats and lower donations, Cheek, Hart and BOT. So what will you do then, Big Jim and Gov?

i'm on the please impress me butch phase, but i agree more with you than a poster saying we got the second coming of neyland. just want to see how he does recruiting that should tell us alot.

do you believe everything you hear. jones also called this his dream job which is total horse crap. he will have 5 or 6 guys off cincy on his staff, it won't sniff the best in the country. alot of volfans believe what they hear and not what they see. to be honest after one day i'm not impressed at all. come on butch show us something.

Yeah people are using the CBJ wanted to be here and this is his dream job as something new and special. He said that it became his dream job after playing here last yr and saw how great it was. Which is great but it's bs to think people are riding that as if it's something special. Especially since the same people wanted a son of TN fired yrs ago and just pushed a guy out that knew the greatness, may have hated it but respected it nonetheless, of Neyland as a child.

I really wish CBJ the best and hope he does well but I don't have confidence that he is going to bring us to the top of the sec consistently. His O is middle of the pack in the sec. So if he goes after the dual threat heavy only type of QB then we'll know he plans on staying there. His DC will then make or break him and I'm concerned. Not saying he won't win games but he'll have us stuck on the 9 win range IMO. KY went D in their hiring and we better be careful cause that staff has experience in defending what CBJ will be bringing.

I doubt that Butch Jones or Dave Hart gives a flip wht you think. I know I don't. Support the Vols or find a new team to ***** about. We need positive karma here.

Reactions: 1 person
That's exactly the season I'm talking about. I didn't say I could coach them better, but I could tell Dooley could not. And I respect your ability to put reason aside and find the good things that Dooley did. I just could not. Looking back, still can't.

I've said it before but I felt Dooley's pain. Which is why i was able to see the good things. I know and accept the fact that UT is a hot mess all around. Football program, AD, etc. I understood from day one that he was literally in charge of rebuilding the program. Almost from scratch. Understanding that I knew I couldn't look at things simply using W/Ls as the bottom-line. I had to keep myself informed as much as possible (notice my start date here) and find the little things that he was doing to piece them together and try to figure out what his ultimate plan was. All as an outsider looking in. I saw the little things, background things, etc he was doing (see MzTerry VFL welcome to CBJ thread as an example), and I was happy and satisfied with what I thought his plan was for building a solid foundation for long term future success at UT.

I love UT just as much as many on here. I don't have time for hobbies. I don't have a family. I have UT football to take me away from the stresses of life. I want UT to be back on top, and I saw the things he was doing and felt that though it hurts right now it was for the best in the long run. Of course mistakes will be made but all in all I did see things going in the right direction with good things to happen in the long run. If patience was a trait among The Legion of the Miserable I truly believe we would have seen some light in the next couple of yrs. Which frankly would have been within in the reasonable time for a rebuild and what ALL knew he need from day 1. People got thier hopes up with no room for reality to sink in and then throw in the stupid Gruden lackeys and it engulfed the program and brought the season down to its knees.

Just all IMHO as an alum, fan, and professional. :hi:

I'm going to give him a pass this year just due to our schedule, hopefully we'll get a surprise win here or there. At best we're looking at 6-6 and hopefully a bowl game.

I doubt that Butch Jones or Dave Hart gives a flip wht you think. I know I don't. Support the Vols or find a new team to ***** about. We need positive karma here.

dude we just hired butch jones, nothing to get excited about. just have to see what he does, i think rational fans know not to be to optomistic. take it you were a dooley lover.

Well he is now the coach. I expect him to start work immediately without similar excuses like the last coach brought in. Year 1 is now. I will begin to judge him immediately on what staff is brought in and how recruiting goes.

We were promised the best staff in all of college football. Somewhat of an exaggeration, but I do not expect the best staff to be made up primarily of cinc coaches. They were not the best staff in football. I expect better. Don't know if we will get it, hope so.

Secondly, I will judge him on his upcoming recruiting. We will see if he can bring in quality talent immediately this year replacing some of the less than stellar recruits we currently have and not lose the few quality recruits we do have, or will we continue down the route of the "dooley diamonds". Waiting to see.

I think from these two important aspects, we will begin to see in the next couple of weeks what we have.

I also expect if these processes do not go well, we will start to hear the same tired old excuses from the sheep. Not been here long enough. Inherited a dumpster fire. Just needs time. Etc.

I'm sure you'll be calling for his head if we lose to possibly #1 ranked Oregon at their place...

I've said it before but I felt Dooley's pain. Which is why i was able to see the good things. I know and accept the fact that UT is a hot mess all around. Football program, AD, etc. I understood from day one that he was literally in charge of rebuilding the program. Almost from scratch. Understanding that I knew I couldn't look at things simply using W/Ls as the bottom-line. I had to keep myself informed as much as possible (notice my start date here) and find the little things that he was doing to piece them together and try to figure out what his ultimate plan was. All as an outsider looking in. I saw the little things, background things, etc he was doing (see MzTerry VFL welcome to CBJ thread as an example), and I was happy and satisfied with what I thought his plan was for building a solid foundation for long term future success at UT.

I love UT just as much as many on here. I don't have time for hobbies. I don't have a family. I have UT football to take me away from the stresses of life. I want UT to be back on top, and I saw the things he was doing and felt that though it hurts right now it was for the best in the long run. Of course mistakes will be made but all in all I did see things going in the right direction with good things to happen in the long run. If patience was a trait among The Legion of the Miserable I truly believe we would have seen some light in the next couple of yrs. Which frankly would have been within in the reasonable time for a rebuild and what ALL knew he need from day 1. People got thier hopes up with no room for reality to sink in and then throw in the stupid Gruden lackeys and it engulfed the program and brought the season down to its knees.

Just all IMHO as an alum, fan, and professional. :hi:
Your support of Dooley is admirable from some point of view. I'll just leave it at that.

A lot of expectations from a fan with the name Doolittle.

But, I get the jist of your post...CBJ will be measured/graded early in his tenure. That process is already ongoing, and I am pleased to hear him pump sunshine. He is stoked to be here....there is an air about him that I did not pick up with Dooley. This coach is going to bring change...and yes, the fan base will be watching his every move.

VN Store

Back