Carter Page: Russian Spy, US Spy, or Useful Idiot?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/politics/william-barr-spying-carter-page/index.html

On Wednesday, Attorney General William Barr told lawmakers that "spying did occur" on President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign, adding: "I think spying on a political campaign is a big deal."

The best guess I can come up with begins with a man named Carter Page. Page, for a time in the Trump campaign, served as a foreign policy adviser to the presidential candidate. Page stepped away from the campaign in September 2016, after articles highlighted his Russian ties. In October 2016, the FBI applied for a warrant to surveil Page under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). The warrant was approved. And subsequently renewed three times.
Based on that very simple summation, you could conclude, I suppose, that "spying did occur" on a member of Trump's presidential campaign. But a fuller picture raises questions about that sort of over-simplification.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/politics/william-barr-spying-carter-page/index.html

On Wednesday, Attorney General William Barr told lawmakers that "spying did occur" on President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign, adding: "I think spying on a political campaign is a big deal."

The best guess I can come up with begins with a man named Carter Page. Page, for a time in the Trump campaign, served as a foreign policy adviser to the presidential candidate. Page stepped away from the campaign in September 2016, after articles highlighted his Russian ties. In October 2016, the FBI applied for a warrant to surveil Page under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). The warrant was approved. And subsequently renewed three times.
Based on that very simple summation, you could conclude, I suppose, that "spying did occur" on a member of Trump's presidential campaign. But a fuller picture raises questions about that sort of over-simplification.
You are basing your beliefs on incomplete information. Better go check with those anonymous sources.

Reactions: volfanjustin
My goodness, Mick. This thread isn't one of your better efforts.
What's wrong with it? I'm sure you remember Trump saying they were spying on him, the Nunes FISA abuse claims and it's plenty better than any Russia position you hold. Anytime someone says anything negative toward Russia, You puff up

Last edited:

Try Halper. Carter Page was setup. He is now suing.

What's wrong with it? I'm sure you remember Trump saying they were spying on him, the Nunes FISA abuse claims and it's plenty better than any Russia position you hold. Anytime someone says anything negative toward Russia, You puff up

Russia has been the DIMs scapegoat to cover their own tracks. Russia always has spied, has always insterfered in campaigns, and so have we. It's the spygames countries play and always will.

Reactions: 0nelilreb

You've been brainwashed.

Still believing what you've been told by media outlets that have lied about the Russian collusion hoax for over 2 years.

What about the initial FISA warrant application that was denied?

You've been brainwashed.

Still believing what you've been told by media outlets that have lied about the Russian collusion hoax for over 2 years.

What about it?

You've been brainwashed.

Their ratings are falling faster than Bill Clinton’s pants in a hot tub, the sheep are leaving in droves

Reactions: Obsessed
Why was it denied?

What was added to the October FISA to get it approved?

Hint: rhymes with flossy-yay
Are you saying that Carter page was used by the Obama administration to spy on the Trump Campaign? What does Q think Carter Page's role in all this was?

Are you saying that Carter page was used by the Obama administration to spy on the Trump Campaign? What does Q think Carter Page's role in all this was?
Russia collusion allegations against Carter Page come from the Steele dossier.

I'm saying the dossier is a work of fiction. A work of fiction that was developed by a partisan foreign agent (Steele) working for a political consulting firm (Fusion GPS) employed by a law firm (Perkins Coie) tied to Hillary Clinton's campaign and the DNC.

Christopher Steele pushed his "intelligence" information to the mainstream media to provide legitimacy to the dossier.

It was all a big circular reference. The useful idiots in the media reported information contained in Steele's memos/dossier. The FBI then used the media reports as additional proof that the Steele dossier was accurate.

It was all a big circular reference. The useful idiots in the media reported information contained in Steele's memos/dossier. The FBI then used the media reports as additional proof that the Steele dossier was accurate.
Let that sink in people...

I railed about this during the entire Ukraine debacle. But our State Department during that time was using social media reports as the sources of their info from Ukraine. Now it appears that the FBI used the Operation Mockingbird media as a justification for their investigation.

Russia collusion allegations against Carter Page come from the Steele dossier.

I'm saying the dossier is a work of fiction. A work of fiction that was developed by a partisan foreign agent (Steele) working for a political consulting firm (Fusion GPS) employed by a law firm (Perkins Coie) tied to Hillary Clinton's campaign and the DNC.

Christopher Steele pushed his "intelligence" information to the mainstream media to provide legitimacy to the dossier.

You are aware that the FBI suspected Page was a Russian asset before he started working on the Trump campaign and before Christopher Steele was hired by Fusion GPS right? It has always intrigued me the circumstances around Carter Page. I would like to see that aspect of the investigation fully transparent.

Let that sink in people...

I railed about this during the entire Ukraine debacle. But our State Department during that time was using social media reports as the sources of their info from Ukraine. Now it appears that the FBI used the Operation Mockingbird media as a justification for their investigation.
It would help if that characterization was even remotely accurate.

It would help if that characterization was even remotely accurate.
You're ignorant and you don't even realize it.

You've been sold a pack of lies.

Michael Isikoff Says He Was "Stunned" To See His Story Cited In FISA Warrant

This is old news.

Michael Isikoff Says He Was "Stunned" To See His Story Cited In FISA Warrant

by Tyler Durden
Sun, 02/04/2018 - 15:45
It's not every day that investigative journalists discover their work was cited in a controversial warrant application that has become a flashpoint of partisan conflict in the US. So, it's telling that, rather than being honored to see his work having such a profound impact, Yahoo News reporter Michael Isikoff said he was "stunned" to see a story he published more than a year ago cited in the "FISA memo" as one of the justifications in a FISA warrant application for former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.
As Isikoff explains, his story was almost entirely based on information from the Steele dossier, which was passed to him by an intermediary. Therefore, citing it would be redundant. The revelation, which was made in a memo released by the House Intelligence Committee on Friday, “stuns me,” Isikoff said in an episode of his podcast, “Skullduggery.”

The four-page memo alleges that the DOJ and FBI relied on the "unverified and salacious" (in the words of former FBI Director James Comey) dossier in their initial application for the Page warrant, as well as in the applications for renewal. The article, which was published by Yahoo on Sept. 23, 2016, was "cited extensively" in the application, which also notes that most of the information contained in the story was derived from the dossier. Isikoff's story was largely ignored when it was published as the media was hyper focused on the fallout from the "Access Hollywood" tape and few people believed Trump would prevail.

Acast ‎@acast

Michael Isikoff

@Isikoff

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/959818175314620416

Check out the new episode of our podcast Skullduggery -- "The Spy, the Reporter and the Memo" -- in which @dklaidman and I discuss my strange appearance in the House Republican memo and what it means. https://www.acast.com/skullduggery/skullduggery-episode4-thespy-thereporterandthememo-theinsidestory?autoplay …

11:57 AM - Feb 3, 2018

154 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Isikoff said it was “a bit beyond me” that the FBI would use his article in the FISA application.
“Obviously the information that I got from Christopher Steele was information the FBI already had,” he said, noting that Steele began sharing information from his dossier in July 2016.
“It’s self-referential,” he said of the article and its reliance on the dossier.
“My story is about the FBI’s own investigation,”
he continued.
"So it seems a little odd that they would be citing the Yahoo! News story about the matter that they are investigating themselves based on the same material that had been separately presented to the FBI before I was ever briefed by Christopher Steele."​
The Republican spy memo makes a similar argument.
"This article does not corroborate the Steele dossier because it is derived from the information leaked by Steele himself to Yahoo! News," it reads.​
It also asserts that the Page FISA application "incorrectly assesses" that Steele was NOT a source for Isikoff.
According to the memo, that corroboration of the dossier was in its “infancy” at the time the FISA application was submitted. An FBI unit that tried to verify Steele’s research had determined that it was only “minimally corroborated” at the time the FISA warrant was granted.
Isikoff said on his podcast that he met Steele at a Washington hotel in September 2016. They were joined by his “old friend” Glenn Simpson, the founder of opposition research firm Fusion GPS.
Fusion hired Steele to investigate Donald Trump’s ties to Russia. The firm was working for the Clinton campaign and DNC, a fact which Isikoff was not aware of at the time of the meeting with Simpson and Steele.
He said on “Skullduggery” that he was aware that Simpson and Steele were working for Democrats, though he did not know it was the campaign and DNC.

Still, Isikoff wondered aloud whether the Republican memo accurately characterized the FISA application or whether the FBI/DOJ were trying to “dress up” the document. The latter scenario would be “embarrassing” for the US, he said.
Isikoff’s article revealed for the first time that investigators were scrutinizing Page’s contacts in Russia. It also provided the most extensive reporting on Page’s alleged activities in Russia up to that point in the campaign.
Isikoff reported that Page may have met secretly with two Kremlin insiders during a trip to Moscow in July 2016.
The dossier - and the Isikoff report - identified the two individuals as Igor Sechin and Igor Diveykin. Page has denied ever meeting the men. He is also suing Yahoo! News for publishing the article.
Page denies other allegations made by Steele in the dossier. Steele claims in the document that Page worked with former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort to collude directly with Russian operatives. Page says he has never met or spoken with Manafort. The dossier also asserts that it was Page’s idea to provide hacked DNC emails to Wikileaks in order to push Bernie Sanders supporters away from the Democrats’ camp.
Isikoff’s article also uses a quote from a senior US law enforcement official. The unidentified official told Isikoff that Page’s contacts in Russia were on investigators’ “radar screen.”
The identity of that source remains a mystery, and Isikoff did not disclose who it was. But he did rule out that the source was Bruce Ohr, a Justice Department official who met with Steele and Simpson before and after the election, and whose wife briefly worked for Fusion GPS, the oppo research firm that produced the dossier.
According to the memo, Ohr passed information from Steele to the Justice Department.
Isikoff's comments were published around the same time that Trey Gowdy, an outgoing Republican Congressman who helped author the dossier, said it wouldn't derail the Mueller probe.
Furthermore, as the Daily Caller's Chuck Ross points out, Isikoff said during an interview with MSNBC's Chris Hayes last summer that it's "not unreasonable" to assume the dossier played an important role in launching the investigation.
View image on Twitter

Chuck Ross

@ChuckRossDC

https://twitter.com/ChuckRossDC/status/960191949536972801

Interesting exchange in June between Michael Isikoff and Chris Hayes, seemingly when Democrats had more confidence in dossier. Isikoff said it wasn't unreasonable to think dossier triggered Russia probe.

12:42 PM - Feb 4, 2018

242 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

You are aware that the FBI suspected Page was a Russian asset before he started working on the Trump campaign and before Christopher Steele was hired by Fusion GPS right? It has always intrigued me the circumstances around Carter Page. I would like to see that aspect of the investigation fully transparent.
Page was USED as a way to spy on the Trump campaign.

Whether he was an innocent victim is yet to be disclosed.

Wouldn't surprise me either way (victim, tool, informant, spy) based on everything else that's already been uncovered.

It was never circulated in the media as you falsely claim. Steele went to the FBI with the raw intelligence he had collected.

Isikoff isn't considered media?

As Isikoff explains, his story was almost entirely based on information from the Steele dossier, which was passed to him by an intermediary. Therefore, citing it would be redundant. The revelation, which was made in a memo released by the House Intelligence Committee on Friday, “stuns me,” Isikoff said in an episode of his podcast, “Skullduggery.”

The four-page memo alleges that the DOJ and FBI relied on the "unverified and salacious" (in the words of former FBI Director James Comey) dossier in their initial application for the Page warrant, as well as in the applications for renewal. The article, which was published by Yahoo on Sept. 23, 2016, was "cited extensively" in the application, which also notes that most of the information contained in the story was derived from the dossier. Isikoff's story was largely ignored when it was published as the media was hyper focused on the fallout from the "Access Hollywood" tape and few people believed Trump would prevail.

Reactions: BigOrangeD
Your characterization that the FBI relied heavily on what he reported is not accurate. It's the redacted parts that contain the real details.
Why was Isikoff's story included in the October FISA application?

VN Store

Back