Can the SEC East return to power?

I think the east will rise again. If people cant see the talent Butch and his staff are stock pilling their blind. I really believe in a couple of yrs we will be competing for the top spot in the sec.

The next five years will either make or break Tennessee.

If Butch can't get a foothold in the East with all the turmoil likely to go down (Spurrier and Richt will leave, Stoops won't stay at Kentucky long, and UF will take at least a couple years to build back up), then Tennessee may never become a power ever again.

And honestly, it will take some major coaching changes in the West for that division to lose its power. I can actually see guys like Miles, Sumlin, and Bielema getting out sooner rather than later for easier jobs.

Way over stated....

I'm about to have a "Phil FULMER at his last press conference" moment. This thread is so sad. I never thought I'd see the Tennessee football demise.

I dream of the day Tennessee plays in the SEC Championship.

Last edited:
It's when...

I remember when the west was a joke... The east's punching bag. It will happen again. Just expect that this time Tennessee will be the undisputed east leader!

GBO

All it takes is a good or serviceable qb and a team can compete well. Also the west has better talent now. When the east was better, they had better overall talent and stable coaching situations.

Can the SEC East return to power? - ESPN

I haven't thought much about it, but considering the potential flux of a new coach at UF, one looming at USC, and Missouri regressing to expectations, Tennessee is well positioned to take advantage. Hopefully Butch is the guy to do it.

I've said that here several times. Jones has a wide open door to establish dominance over the East. He's recruiting well enough to do it... but he has to start coaching better.

BTW, there's virtually no similarities between where UT sits and where UK sits... other than UT is in a slump that's had them competing at a level which is pretty much the norm for UK. UK will NEVER sustain success. Any coach that brings them success will take the next step up... just like Franklin did to Vandy.

Reactions: 1 person
True. Kentucky already has 5 wins. Tennessee will be lucky to have 5 at season's end.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

If Jones and crew are effectively coaching this team up then they'll take advantage of the drop in competition and win at least 3 more to make a bowl. If they go 5-7... then they will have lost two more games to teams with less talent.

Reactions: 2 people
If the Vol's don't finish at least .500, O'l Butch's chance of success at UT may lose momentum.

I wish I could see a little more light at the end of the tunnel, but with some of the Vol's glaring defieciencies it could take 2-3 more years at least to field a complete competitive team in the SEC east

All the fan's can do is support the team and coaches and hope for the good times to return to Tennessee Football.....it's been far too long

Yes, I'm educated, can write clear sentences, and I'm the one that lacks sense. :good!:

Common sense... If you can't understand a sentence cause of a couple errors in my writing then you lack common sense I don't care how much education you got. It's kinda like the thing you see on Facebook that says only 5 percent can read this and understand it and it uses numbers for letters I can always read it. But I get it some just want to be smartasses

Can the SEC East return to power? - ESPN

I haven't thought much about it, but considering the potential flux of a new coach at UF, one looming at USC, and Missouri regressing to expectations, Tennessee is well positioned to take advantage. Hopefully Butch is the guy to do it.

I'm sure Mike and Mike were scratching their heads over it, but, yeah, a lot of the teams will eventually. Did anyone else see the Chris Fowler soliloquy today about the playoffs and the SEC? It's pretty obvious there are many folks who still dont understand 5 different SEC teams winning NC during the BCS era, and they are obviously lobbying now against the 5 or so SEC teams in the AP top 10 to keep no more than one SEC team in the 4 team playoff. I dont care how they try to work it, the SEC will always be top dog. Conundrum. We've had player parents on our boards talking about how the SEC is all about Bama???? And we have our weak sisters like Ole Miss, Miss St, UK.....uhhh oops....not anymore. Vandy, and unfortunately, UT are the weaklings now although UT will play you 'close'. The SEC is the best conference BY FAR in the nation. There's noone close.

Of course, it goes in cycles. Five years from now we will probably be saying will the west step up.

Please go get a job as a English teacher so you can get paid to be a jackass. Don't bother with electronics cause then you may know of auto correct. And after auto correct sometimes I just don't feel like fixing it but you get the point

Then you lack common sense. And that's a great trait to have.

Common sense... If you can't understand a sentence cause of a couple errors in my writing then you lack common sense I don't care how much education you got. It's kinda like the thing you see on Facebook that says only 5 percent can read this and understand it and it uses numbers for letters I can always read it. But I get it some just want to be smartasses

Edit: I had a well thought out response to these written out, but I decided that it seems you just don't really care for taking criticism and building on it, so what's the point?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Alabama,Ole Miss and Miss State will have new quarterbacks in 2015. Mississippi State's qb has said he will go to the NFL in 2015.

I think the SEC as a whole is going to get weaker. The West will start to see coaches leave because of how difficult it is. Wouldn't be surprised if Sumlin (NFL), Miles, Mullen, and Bielema are all gone within 3-4 years. Saban may retire in that time frame as well and Malzahn could try his hand in the NFL.

The East is about to go through a major transition period, too. Richt has 5 years left max at UGA (will put him at almost 20 years at the school), Spurrier may retire after this season, Pinkel is old (62) and soon to retire or watch his team become irrelevant, and Stoops won't stay at Kentucky long if he has success.

IMO, the SEC will return to form, so to speak, by ~2017/2018, with UT, UF, and UGA battling for the East while Alabama and Auburn are the two major powers in the West.

I think the SEC as a whole is going to get weaker. The West will start to see coaches leave because of how difficult it is. Wouldn't be surprised if Sumlin (NFL), Miles, Mullen, and Bielema are all gone within 3-4 years. Saban may retire in that time frame as well and Malzahn could try his hand in the NFL.

The East is about to go through a major transition period, too. Richt has 5 years left max at UGA (will put him at almost 20 years at the school), Spurrier may retire after this season, Pinkel is old (62) and soon to retire or watch his team become irrelevant, and Stoops won't stay at Kentucky long if he has success.

IMO, the SEC will return to form, so to speak, by ~2017/2017, with UT, UF, and UGA battling for the East while Alabama and Auburn are the two major powers in the West.

I think Ole Miss,Texas A&M and LSU will continue to players in the SEC West. Miss State in going to be weak in 2015 with all the players that they will lose.

IMO, the SEC will return to form, so to speak, by ~2017/2018, with UT, UF, and UGA battling for the East while Alabama and Auburn are the two major powers in the West.

I am tired of the SEC being so strong. Lets get back to the 90's form where TN and a couple other schools dominate year in and year out.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back