Can Tennessee get into the playoffs, and get a 1st round bye

We may sneak in there but the more realistic side of me says we’ll be one of higher seeds without a bye. Now with the new scheduling next season things could get a little wild, so you never know.

We may sneak in there but the more realistic side of me says we’ll be one of higher seeds without a bye. Now with the new scheduling next season things could get a little wild, so you never know.
I'll take a home game at Neyland in the 1st round. Especially at night. That atmosphere would be incredible.

I think you have to ask yourself are we in the top three teams in the conference? Idk that the answer is yes.

I do think the future is very bright but idk if we’re ready to take that next step. Georgia, Texas and even Bama with their losses have better talent on their teams then you have teams like Ole Miss, LSU, Texas A&M. We’ll be competitive but idk if we’re quite there yet.

It’s going to be harder than many think. Being top 10-12 probably won’t get us in because of autobids
I feel like people don’t realize how hard it’s still going to be to make the playoffs. A team could be ranked in 8-10 range and still be left out some years. I really wish it was a 16 team playoff since there are automatic bids.

Just imagine how frustrating it will be to ranked 9th or 10th in the county and not make it in. Meanwhile, some non power five school that played a soft schedule and finished ranked in the 17-25 range does…

Or does it really matter, as long you get into the playoffs?

Does it matter? Nobody is winning 4 playoff games to win the national title. The 12 team idea was absolutely absurd--sheer idiocy. Eight was the obvious practical number. Of course, it won't be long before greed and stupidity will start a push for even more teams.

I’d like to say yes to playoffs but we’re behind Bama, UGA, Texas, Ole Miss, and Mizz. I threw in Mizz since their schedule is easier than ours. The SEC will receive a total of 3-4 teams maximum.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
I think we're gonna surprise some people if we handle Oklahoma, be the #2 team in the conference this year. Yep. I said that.

And I think that will get us the #5 seed. Meaning we'll have a first round home game in Neyland against the #12 seed. Probably some Northeastern Southwest U State Tech team of the Sister Mary Elephantitis Conference.

Folks all over the nation will observe the sheer awesomeness of that game, and all the richness it brings to college football, and no one will ever want to be a #2, #3, or #4 seed again. After #1, #5 will be where it's at.

Sweet.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I don't think it stays at 12 very long anyway, they can bump it to 16 without adding another round of games and no one gets a bye. Given it's all about the $ and not what's best for player, fans or college football more games means more $. I hope it is not true that they are thinking about the 4 power 5 conf champs get the 1-4 seeds. That would be total injustice because that will rarely ever be the best 4 teams.

Reactions: cgrish
I feel like people don’t realize how hard it’s still going to be to make the playoffs. A team could be ranked in 8-10 range and still be left out some years. I really wish it was a 16 team playoff since there are automatic bids.

Just imagine how frustrating it will be to ranked 9th or 10th in the county and not make it in. Meanwhile, some non power five school that played a soft schedule and finished ranked in the 17-25 range does…

Jesus, no. That’s the opposite of what I want. Just because someone is left out, doesn’t mean we need more. If anything 12 is too many

Reactions: Rocky Top T
That’s why we play the games to find out. The play on the field will decide that, not us barrister predictors on a message board. GBO

Jesus, no. That’s the opposite of what I want. Just because someone is left out, doesn’t mean we need more. If anything 12 is too many
So you will be completely fine if a UT team ranked in 9-12 range gets left out while a team like Liberty ranked 20-25 gets in due to auto bids?

So you will be completely fine if a UT team ranked in 9-12 range gets left out while a team like Liberty ranked 20-25 gets in due to auto bids?
I think teams like liberty should have to be ranked higher to get in than that for sure, but he is right there will always be disputes whether it is 8-12 or 26. I wanted a playoff and actually thought 8 was a good number but we are at 12 and that is fine. But that is plenty. And as far as being left out if we are 13 sure it would be tough but just use it as motivation next time. If you expand the field any more you make the regular season not nearly as important and nobody wants to see mediocre teams in the playoffs. Somebody always wants to fool with the numbers. 12 is plenty, there has to be a stopping point. GBO

That’s a different question. What you’re asking is “should there be autobids or less autobids”. The question we were discussing is “how many teams should be in the playoffs”.

That’s a different question. What you’re asking is “should there be autobids or less autobids”. The question we were discussing is “how many teams should be in the playoffs”.
I understand. In my mind those thing are tied together. I would be fine with 12 teams if they removed the auto bids and it was the 12 best teams. However, if 5-6 of the 12 spots are auto bid's. I personally would prefer a 16 team playoff because it insures the top 10 teams make it in.

VN Store

Back